Drinking + homework, and other mindlessness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beta pleated sheet

Reaction score
Well, I'm only on my second beer, so I'm far from drunk (but keep in mind, I'm a five foot tall woman who only recently got off a 2 week hiatus from drinking), but yes, I am also doing homework for my history of jazz course. To be fair, it's really only the massive listening assignment, but the point is that mixing alcohol and productivity is nothing new to me. Some of my best papers were written while I was tipsy.

Anyway, I feel like rambling on about my pathetic life. Today I learned that brewing calms me down almost as much as my xanax, but without the weird feeling and sleepiness. I wonder if the yeast will be affected by all of this jazz and ragtime I'm listening too.

Life is good. I got out of the crappy political science class, I have my new computer, I'm drinking homebrew, I'm listening to Scott Joplin, and I'm making cheese in one of my microbiology courses tomorrow. The only way this could be better is if I didn't have a mild sinus infection, but enough homebrew will fix that.

Try mixing beer and a science...like chem, math, or computer programming!

PoliSci was a nightmare for me; thankfully it's years in the past.

The yeast only stand to benefit from whatever you;re listening to. :mug: I have G n' R on, but nothing fermenting. :(

You have a microbiology course, and you decided that CHEESE would be your project? Your yeasts are offended.

During long periods of stress, doing a fun or distracting activity has been proven to calm the nerves. Since brewing takes several hours, that's a long time to forget about your problems/stressballs for awhile, so it makes sense it makes you feel better.

Why don't you drink the beer and take the Xanax together....I bet your paper would turn out awesome!:cross:

Brew Runner said:
Try mixing beer and a science...like chem, math, or computer programming!

PoliSci was a nightmare for me; thankfully it's years in the past.

The yeast only stand to benefit from whatever you;re listening to. :mug: I have G n' R on, but nothing fermenting. :(

Beer was how I got through doing homework in those...especially physics. Beer and physics, the crazy thing was our professor approved.

Ha I can't concentrate at all while drunk or tipsy. If I don't move enough, or have people around me to keep me alert, I just doze off. Many a reading assignment has been skipped and forgotten because of this.

Doing philosophy on a bit of rolled Buddha might be interesting though...

andypantz13 said:
Beer was how I got through doing homework in those...especially physics. Beer and physics, the crazy thing was our professor approved.

Strangely enough, when i still had to take physics (damn you 300 series!) some guy had a beer in the class and the professor pointed him out and said, "See that guy, he's got the right idea". We were all shocked because the prof. up to that time hadn't said anything relatively funny or neither did he seem to have any sort of social commentary.

mmm, beer and homework... thats what I am up to right now!

now where did I put my surgery text....

Klainmeister said:
Strangely enough, when i still had to take physics (damn you 300 series!) some guy had a beer in the class and the professor pointed him out and said, "See that guy, he's got the right idea". We were all shocked because the prof. up to that time hadn't said anything relatively funny or neither did he seem to have any sort of social commentary.

Actually, last spring on a nice sunny day, some friends and I decided to drink a can before going to afternoon class. It was the second time that the teacher tried to explain us Einstein's relativity (the basics of it) and I understood it because of that beer.

about twelve years ago i had native american religion class at uni. it was a three hour deal on wednesday nights. it was at 6pm. we'd start drinking about 4 pm, have a few, well actually a lot, tokes off the hooka, and head to class.

funniest **** was, when the prof, a jesuit missionary opened his little container that was supposed to carry the eucharist, and it had peyote buttons in it.

best class ever. got an a.

had a physical science class during the same time period several semesters later, and flunked it. showed up to the final and the proff laughed and said, you know you can't pass, even if you ace this test. signed my name and handed it in. :D

we like to drink before class. Today, we went to the bar and got pretty lit then showed to class. had a screaming match with the prof and other students, few f-bombs were dropped, prof thought the "passion" was great and said well done to us. Never mind the fact that i couldnt hardly stand

I love how everything makes sense while drinking

cheers
Ryan

Best college beer story ever:

So I'm in the final exam for a ridiculously hard, obnoxious, and required engineering course that can best be likened to a wrestling match on a bed of tacks...Of course the exam itself is completely ridiculous as well (iirc the average was like a 40%...Welcome to U of M, where your best hasn't been good enough since 1817 :roll: ). So as the professor announces that the time is up and for everyone to turn in their exams, the near-silent room is filled with an echoing "Ksssst". Looking around, we are all astonished to see three guys in the back of the class slamming a beer :D. Sure got a good look outta that one :D.

Personally I had a fantastic experience more recently doing some digital logic design homework with a really good buzz going. Usually the stuff puts me to sleep, but with a buzz it was actually kinda fun :D.

New idea:

weed + beer + jazz history homework

Man, I hope that my cough clears up soon so I can smoke without feeling like death. Though, that doesn't always stop me. It should, but it doesn't.

having a beer definatly helps take the edge off the homework... an 87 on an organic chem test is definatly a grade i will accept with a smile.

OMFGaGIRL.jpg

I can't even read for fun after four or five beers. I read a little, but then I realize I don't know what I read, so I re-read it. So on and so forth.

Japanese art, genetics, constitutional law, and (of course) pharmacology make a lot more sense after a few beers, too, should it ever come up. :mug:

TL

I never did well if I drank and studied, however I had very good friends who claim to have done better if smoking herb. ;)

Ah the early 70's

Back