It’s been nice while it lasted...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leapsandbounds

Reaction score
My wife checked into a substance abuse detox program tonight. She said she’s an alcoholic and that she’s abusing her prescription medication (benzodiazepine). I work nights so I’m not home with her three nights a week. She was drinking a lot recently (1 bottle of pino a night) but just started working 3 nights a week which would reduce that. I regularly drink a 6 pack of beer on off nights (sometimes less) so I wasn’t too concerned about the drinking. We even discussed cutting back and getting in shape.

It all just came out of nowhere. I called out of work tonight and I guess I’m a single parent of two toddlers for 5-7 days. Or more. Who knows...

I’m gonna have to give up brewing. I’ve really enjoyed the hobby but family is more important. I’m gonna try making some soda so I can keep the dream alive. She almost seemed offended that stopping brewing would cause me remorse. I realise that there are more important things in life but it’s still something I’ve enjoyed a great deal. I don’t really have anyone to talk to so I’m just laying it all out here. The only person I’ve told was my mom and that’s because I need her help to watch my kids when I’m at work. I just don’t feel comfortable ranting to her like this.

Thanks for listening,

Cheers.

You are doing it right. God bless you and your family. Important thing is you love your family and your priorities are straight.

Keep up the good work brother! We’re all rooting for you! Keep us updated on the thread here and we’ll be here for additional support!

My wife checked into a substance abuse detox program tonight. She said she’s an alcoholic and that she’s abusing her prescription medication (benzodiazepine). I work nights so I’m not home with her three nights a week. She was drinking a lot recently (1 bottle of pino a night) but just started working 3 nights a week which would reduce that. I regularly drink a 6 pack of beer on off nights (sometimes less) so I wasn’t too concerned about the drinking. We even discussed cutting back and getting in shape.

It all just came out of nowhere. I called out of work tonight and I guess I’m a single parent of two toddlers for 5-7 days. Or more. Who knows...

I’m gonna have to give up brewing. I’ve really enjoyed the hobby but family is more important. I’m gonna try making some soda so I can keep the dream alive. She almost seemed offended that stopping brewing would cause me remorse. I realise that there are more important things in life but it’s still something I’ve enjoyed a great deal. I don’t really have anyone to talk to so I’m just laying it all out here. The only person I’ve told was my mom and that’s because I need her help to watch my kids when I’m at work. I just don’t feel comfortable ranting to her like this.

Thanks for listening,

Cheers.

It's a brave step you've taken to say these things and a brave step forward the both of you are making, buddy. Brewing's fun but so is sobriety and health. I live in constant, severe total body pain, had a generous doc and before I knew it was hooked on Norco for years (I'm not blaming the doc. I just didn't know an "authentic Rx" and a willingness to increase my doses to keep pain at bay, would surprise me with full blown addiction before I knew it). Broke it back in 2010 (stupidly, cold-turkey). Just saying I know none of this is easy but pulling for you and your wife. If you need help, reach out and take it, buddy. All my best hopes for you and your wife.

ps: I still enjoy brewing, though I can't do the physical work any longer. My rugby-monster son does the heavy lifting and learning. But I can't drink beer to any extent, really. Maybe half a pint or something before things start to go haywire. So I brew for family and friends. BUT, I do enjoy fermentation stuff, so bread and cheese, both, supply a lot of pleasure (if interested, I have a thread going right now in the cheese forum). And they're both healthy. Just a tiny thought. Keep fighting, brother.

I've found bread baking to be another seemingly simple but aggravatingly difficult to master hobby very similar to beer brewing. Good luck and I hope you find better times ahead.

@Leapsandbounds

You are 100% correct and you are making the right and responsible decision.

Things change in life because it’s a journey, and sometimes you have to quickly adjust your sails for a new course.
Providing for and taking care of your family is the best thing you can do.

Maybe starting a hobby all of you can enjoy doing together? I notice some people even posting about smoking meat or making bread which also sparks my interest as a hobby.

I wish you and your family the best.

U can always pm me if you need someone to talk to off line.

Brewing is a hobby easily replaced. Family is irreplaceable.

Booze and beer are fun, if you can keep them in check. Not worth potentially ruining lives over.

Sometimes I wish I didn’t enjoy beer so much, that way I’d have the free time to chase other hobbies that sound fun: cured meats, bread, cheese, coffee roasting, hot sauce making, and on and on.

I guess my point is that you just freed yourself up to pursue a different, but equally satisfying artisanal hobby.

Now hang in there and make some badass pepperoni sticks!!

We're here for your rant... and we feel you brother! If you can't rant to us, who can you rant to? :)

Maybe it's temporary... maybe not... but there are other hobbies in the same vein that might fill the void:
Bread baking (sourdough, especially), Kombucha, pickles, fermented veggies, etc.... Many ways to to get the same
sort of DIY/food/hobby action going....

Keep on keepin' on... Come back to rant if you need to...

Right on brother. Good people on this site/ in this thread. Beer and brewing is fun but should be abandoned in an instant without a second thought or a single regret when your family’s health is concerned. We all support you on that, even more than our general love of beer and brewing. Stick around and stay strong.

Baking bread is something I’m going to give a college try. In fact, I started a sourdough starter 6/1/19 and have been feeding it daily. I’m excited to bake my first loaf.

Thanks again for all of the support. I have enjoyed brewing but I’m hoping to explore new horizons. Eventually, I’d like to try some homemade sodas.

Perhaps someday I may return. Until then, I shall ferment in other areas.

Back