doublebock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

EdWort

Reaction score
It could be that no one has tried brewing a doppelbock that was good enough that they though it merited placement in the database. I will someday, when I get enough patience to lager a beer for months.

flyangler18

Reaction score
It could be that no one has tried brewing a doppelbock that was good enough that they though it merited placement in the database. I will someday, when I get enough patience to lager a beer for months.

QFT. I've been flirting with the idea of lagering, but I'm not exactly a poster child for patience in most circumstances.

:mug:

OP
OP
claphamsa

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
typical lagers are done at 50 for primary and laggered at about 32? (generalized of course)

How cold could you succesfully lager at? would 20 be too cold? what is a typical freezer run at?

SpanishCastleAle

Reaction score
I'm about to brew a Traditional Bock, a Doppelbock, and a Maibock.

From what I've read...a Doppelbock has a higher OG than a Trad Bock but it attenuates less so it only has a little bit more alcohol. Also; while both are very malty, a Trad Bock is a more toasty and a Doppelbock is sweeter/caramel-y.

I can't remember the exact number (I'm getting much of this from Daniel's Designing Great Beers) but a both have to have a minimum OG to be called a Bock or Doppelbock. I think it's 16 degrees Plato for a bock and 18 Plato for a Doppelbock. A Maibock is the same OG as a Trad Bock.

My recipes are mostly Munich malt as the base but also with some Pils (reverse that for the Maibock). I plan to use some Caramunich in both dark beers. Then Crystal 60L in the Doppelbock and Special B in the Bock. Then a tiny bit of Roasted Barely (more in the Doppel) in each of the dark ones to give them a deep color with lots of red.

I'm gonna use mostly Hallertau whole hops...all bittering....and not too much. Looking for malt dominance.

EDIT: So something like this:
Traditional Bock
83% brewhouse efficiency
6# Munich
6# Pils
.5# Caramunich
.25# Special B
.125# Roasted Barley (at most...maybe as little as .0625#)

2 oz. Hallertau 4.3% AA @ 60 min.

Should be in 1.072 neighborhood with ~25 IBU and 17-19 SRM.

SpanishCastleAle

Reaction score
If it's pressurized (like in a keg or bottle) it should lower the freezing temp a little. Water expands as it freezes so putting pressure on it works against that.

We've all seen the uber-cold liquid beer that freezes only when you open the bottle.