doublebock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It could be that no one has tried brewing a doppelbock that was good enough that they though it merited placement in the database. I will someday, when I get enough patience to lager a beer for months.

It could be that no one has tried brewing a doppelbock that was good enough that they though it merited placement in the database. I will someday, when I get enough patience to lager a beer for months.

QFT. I've been flirting with the idea of lagering, but I'm not exactly a poster child for patience in most circumstances.

:mug:

typical lagers are done at 50 for primary and laggered at about 32? (generalized of course)

How cold could you succesfully lager at? would 20 be too cold? what is a typical freezer run at?

I'm about to brew a Traditional Bock, a Doppelbock, and a Maibock.

From what I've read...a Doppelbock has a higher OG than a Trad Bock but it attenuates less so it only has a little bit more alcohol. Also; while both are very malty, a Trad Bock is a more toasty and a Doppelbock is sweeter/caramel-y.

I can't remember the exact number (I'm getting much of this from Daniel's Designing Great Beers) but a both have to have a minimum OG to be called a Bock or Doppelbock. I think it's 16 degrees Plato for a bock and 18 Plato for a Doppelbock. A Maibock is the same OG as a Trad Bock.

My recipes are mostly Munich malt as the base but also with some Pils (reverse that for the Maibock). I plan to use some Caramunich in both dark beers. Then Crystal 60L in the Doppelbock and Special B in the Bock. Then a tiny bit of Roasted Barely (more in the Doppel) in each of the dark ones to give them a deep color with lots of red.

I'm gonna use mostly Hallertau whole hops...all bittering....and not too much. Looking for malt dominance.

EDIT: So something like this:
Traditional Bock
83% brewhouse efficiency
6# Munich
6# Pils
.5# Caramunich
.25# Special B
.125# Roasted Barley (at most...maybe as little as .0625#)

2 oz. Hallertau 4.3% AA @ 60 min.

Should be in 1.072 neighborhood with ~25 IBU and 17-19 SRM.

If it's pressurized (like in a keg or bottle) it should lower the freezing temp a little. Water expands as it freezes so putting pressure on it works against that.

We've all seen the uber-cold liquid beer that freezes only when you open the bottle.

Back