Double ale stopped fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshyG

Reaction score
I started this double rye stout to eventually age in a whiskey Barrell...

However it had started at a gravity level of 1.07 (5/6/2018) and now is only at 1.026 (5/26/2018). So this isn't the target gravity I'm looking for which is 1 or 1.01 ish.

Do I add more yeast, What's the protocol?

Thanks

Josh

Are you using a hydrometer or refractometer? How long has the beer been in the fermenter? What is the temperature of the ferment and has it stayed constant? What is the recipe?

The recipe and process would definitely help throwing some ideas in the thread. Grain bill, mash temperature, yeast - health+pitch rate - and fermentation schedule, all play a role in how a beer will attenuate.

Is the original gravity 1.070 or is it 1.071, 1.075 or something else?

64 degrees was great during the active fermentation, which for this beer probably lasted 4 or 5 days. Once the fermentation slows down, warming the beer to the low 70's keeps the yeast working to get the last of the sugars digested and break down the intermediate compounds. Try warming the beer, perhaps even swirling the fermenter to suspend more of the yeast.

64 degrees was great during the active fermentation, which for this beer probably lasted 4 or 5 days. Once the fermentation slows down, warming the beer to the low 70's keeps the yeast working to get the last of the sugars digested and break down the intermediate compounds. Try warming the beer, perhaps even swirling the fermenter to suspend more of the yeast.

Great idea. I did that today and will keep it at 70* for until I do the Barrell transfer.

I tried it and it was bomb! Definitely tasted the rye and the chocolate notes. Kinda like dark chocolate beer. Eventually with whiskey flavor.

Also I called Midwest supplies and someone said to add Champlain yeast, except we might not get so far because the yeast could die because of the alcohol. Might be good to try.

Great idea. I did that today and will keep it at 70* for until I do the Barrell transfer.

I tried it and it was bomb! Definitely tasted the rye and the chocolate notes. Kinda like dark chocolate beer. Eventually with whiskey flavor.

Also I called Midwest supplies and someone said to add Champlain yeast, except we might not get so far because the yeast could die because of the alcohol. Might be good to try.

Champagne yeast likes simple sugars, but those were eaten by the ale yeast you used so what is left would be the complex sugars. The yeast you used is probably better equipped to deal with those complex sugars. It is also possible that your beer is simply done. If it tastes good to you, there may not be anything else necessary.

The predicted FG for that recipe before barrel aging is 1.024. Right now you are at 1.026. You are good. I would rack into the barrel.
Why do you want to take the FG down so low? It would have a negative impact on the taste of your beer.

The predicted FG for that recipe before barrel aging is 1.024. Right now you are at 1.026. You are good. I would rack into the barrel.
Why do you want to take the FG down so low? It would have a negative impact on the taste of your beer.

I raised it yesterday 70' and it bubbled some, I will take your recommendation. I will move back down when I get back home today.

Do you think that the 18-24hours would have impacted it all? I swirled it a little too

Last edited:
I raised it yesterday 70' and it bubbled some, I will take your recommendation. I will move back down when I get back home today.

Do you think that the 18-24hours would have impacted it all? I swirled it a little too

I wouldn’t swirl it.....you risk oxidization issues. Your beer is done. Rack into the barrel and call it good.

I wouldn’t swirl it.....you risk oxidization issues. Your beer is done. Rack into the barrel and call it good.

I did for maybe 45 seconds not hard tho I hope it isn't a big deal...

If the beer is in a closed container with an airlock on it, where would the oxygen come from to oxidate the beer. Swirling is a gentle operation, it doesn't splash the beer around.

If the beer is in a closed container with an airlock on it, where would the oxygen come from to oxidate the beer. Swirling is a gentle operation, it doesn't splash the beer around.
I agree IF the beer hasn’t finished fermentation. However in this case the beer is done. OP’s expected FG was 1.024 and he is sitting at 1.026. What is swirling going to do? The beer is done.....time to rack into the barrel.

I agree IF the beer hasn’t finished fermentation. However in this case the beer is done. OP’s expected FG was 1.024 and he is sitting at 1.026. What is swirling going to do? The beer is done.....time to rack into the barrel.

I just bought the barrel and it should be here in a few days!
Thanks people I'll send a photo later!

Back