Dopplebock help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twofox

Reaction score
I'm hacking out a dopplebock recipe that I'll be using an ale yeast for. Most likely wlp060 american ale blend. Should get me what I want.

What do you all think of this recipe?

14# Munic Malt
2# Caramunich malt
2 oz Chocolate malt
1.5 oz Hallertau hops @ 60 mins. (est IBU 4.8%)

SG 1.088
FG 1.022
IBU 19.5
Color 23.8
Mash 155 single batch sparge
Ferment 70-72 (the house is 70 degrees)

Mostly I'm wondering if this looks ok without any pale or pilsner malt? Also I can't ferment in the fridge outside as it gets too cold this time of year for this yeast. (And no I don't want to play with lager yeast just yet :) )

on the face of it:

IBU's are a bit too low. you'll need a bit more bitterness just to balance the sweetness. Right now you have a 0.22 IBU:GU, I'd probably shoot for more like .30 - .35 (so, 27-32 IBU's).

i really don't know what will happen, but that grainbill, using that yeast, at that temp....just doesn't seem right.

if you can't ferment lager yeast, i wouldn't try to force an ale yeast to ferment a dopplebock. i would try to figure out what beer would work best with WLP060 fermented at 70F.

If you are going to use an ale yeast, use something more neutral like US-5 or Notty. Also if you partially submerge the bucket in ice water you can keep your fermentation temp around 60 degrees which makes much cleaner taste.

If you are going to use an ale yeast, use something more neutral like US-5 or Notty. Also if you partially submerge the bucket in ice water you can keep your fermentation temp around 60 degrees which makes much cleaner taste.

The blend is California ale and V (I think) with some lager yeast. Folks have done bocks sans lager with good results using a clean yeast, so that's what I'm after.

From the site:
WLP060 American Ale Yeast Blend
Our most popular yeast strain is WLP001, California Ale Yeast. This blend celebrates the strengths of California- clean, neutral fermentation, versatile usage, and adds two other strains that belong to the same 'clean/neutral' flavor category. The additional strains create complexity to the finished beer. This blend tastes more lager like than WLP001. Hop flavors and bitterness are accentuated, but not to the extreme of California. Slight sulfur will be produced during fermentation.
Attenuation: 72-80%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-72°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium High

Oh, and it's mostly the grain bill I'm concerned about :)

Personally I wouldn't put chocolate malt in a dopplebock. I realize it is just a tiny amount but I'd leave that out. If you are just using it for color how about de-bittered black malt instead?

I'd mash at 149F for 90 mins to ensure a highly fermentable wort.

Not sure on the IBUs but I would think it would be about right, you should have some sweetness in a dopplebock. BJCP says 16 to 26 IBUs so you'll be a hair on the lower end but in the right range.

With all that being said, I am currently lagering my first attempt at this style so take my thoughts with that in mind.

Back