Doppelbock profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
I'm doing a monster Doppleboch and was wondering how this profile looked, it's close to Munich water. The confusing part is that it is setup for a bitter taste, when Dopplebochs and Oktoberfest are malty. What say the pros?? It's a 15 srm beer.

Capture-9.jpg

Just because that's the water profile in Munich, that doesn't mean they don't alter their water profile for certain beer styles. It's a good profile for a German Pilsner or maybe a Helles, but for a bock I would want a different chloride to sulfate ratio.

Also, that may be a lot of salt for a 5gal batch. I'm no water salt expert by any means, but I have heard recommendations of trying to stay around 1-2grams of salt per gallon of water. I think when it comes to water alterations, it's better to keep it simple rather than muddy up the water with too much stuff. And what's with the 9gallon mash?

And what's with the 9gallon mash?

It's a crazy recipe in Zymurgy im trying. Basically you dough in with 4 gallons at 100f then add 1 gallon of near boiling water every 15 minutes until you've reached mashout temp.

Residual alkalinity is too high, tone that down to around 50.

Just because that's the water profile in Munich, that doesn't mean they don't alter their water profile for certain beer styles

Precisely!!

Water treatment, in order of importance

1) Neutralise chlorine & chloramine in your supply with campden tabs or carbon filtration
2) Target the correct RA based on the colour of the beer you're brewing with acid or chalk treatment
3) Ensure a minimal level of calcium (50 - 100 ppm)
4) Target a Sulphate / Chloride ratio based on the style of beer, balanced towards sulphate for hoppy and chloride for malty/full bodied.

NOT

1) Look at a snapshot water profile for a city, assume it's correct, and assume they brew with exactly that water

NOT

1) Look at a snapshot water profile for a city, assume it's correct, and assume they brew with exactly that water

That what water chemistry noobs do.
Why don't you give me a good water profile for this beer, that way i can learn something.;)

Here's a profile I had I forgot about.:eek: It's from a Brown Porter (srm19) that was my first beer with water adjustments, it turned out great! Even got compliments from a soon to be micro brewer. I guess it will work fine for this beer. I'm just worried about adding all the salts at first since the mash will be added to incrementally to over a 1.5 hour period of time. I guess i'll add half at dough in and the other half, midway through the mash.

I just want this beer to be great, it's going to be an 8 hour brewday and a good long lagering wait before it's ready.:mug:

Capture-10.jpg

I don't think that the RA is too low for a Doppelbock. It also depends on the grist. But shooting for 100-200 ppm as caco3. Should be fine. I just brewed a Doppelbock with this water, which is modeled after the current Munich municipal water:

Water_munich.gif

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Various_water_recipes#Munich_Water

I dissolved the chalk, but with undissolved chalk, that is the profile you would use.

Kai

I wanted to add:

To match the munich profile more closely you would need magnesium carbonate (MgCO3) since Munich water has very little chloride and sulfate but fairly high carbonate.

But I don't think you have to match it that closely. The characteristic of Munich water is low sulfate/chloride which means that the majority of the hardness is temporary harness and there is little permanent hardness. At cl/so4 levels that low the cl/so4 ratio doesn't tell you much.
Kai

OK, so I think I'm taking a stab at the same recipe as wildwest is, but I'm going to do a single decoction as apposed to the crazy mash schedule Zymurgy uses. Anywho, I also have concerns about the water profile business. Here is what I have based off of Kai's "Moderately alkaline water" profile on his site:

WaterProfile.jpg

I guess my concern comes with adding so much and it just becoming a mess.

Back