Don't get too wasted while brewing or this may happen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S-Met

Department of Redundancy Department.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Don't drink and brew friends...

Naw, just kidding. I know better. I don't think I've ever not had a brew or cider or toddy of some sort unless I didnt want or didn't have one.

But that doesn't make it safe. One of my good mates had a bit of a major mishap. I should disclose that he maybe, just maybe was sampling some sort of green herbal stuff that probably wasn't hops...

I stop by and my friend, has one hop addition remaining in his ipa, flame-out and I ask, "what hops?" He says, "Chinook, the bag of pellets are on the bench over there."

I pop over, grab a pint of home-brew, imperial porter, and look at the hops and ask, "so, uh, are these the hops?" He affirmed. I asked if he weighted the last final addition, or if I needed to open the other bag? My friend stops mid thought and says, huh? With a very confused look. Dude, the bags open.

I pick up the bag, toss it a few times and say this bag is sealed. My friend is really confused and starts going over his notes and retracing his steps. He realizes that he accidentally confused his hops with alfalfa pellets for his rabbit and added 1-2/3 oz thus-far in the boil.

Lesson of the day, carefully plan and calculate measurements before getting drunk.

Rabbits do hop.. Though not presumably what you're looking for.....
Now if he put rabbit in the beer, I could see geting the hops character.

And Thank you. I have a vegan friend who loves beer AND gets drunk easily, AND is gullible AND will be at a Memorial day weekend bbq AND a few brews reall helps me tap into my inner BullSh!tter.

Guess who is going to hear about how hops is made from rabbits, well primarily Hares.

HEY - Everyone is joking around here - But this is how new beer trends get started!!!!! NAIPA - Natural Alfalfa India Pale Ale. This could be the new big thing and you all will be able to say " I :confused:Was involved from the get go!!!" :confused:

HEY - Everyone is joking around here - But this is how new beer trends get started!!!!! NAIPA - Natural Alfalfa India Pale Ale. This could be the new big thing and you all will be able to say " I :confused:Was involved from the get go!!!" :confused:

Glad you kept the "I" in there...you'd be hearing from the NAPA Valley legal team...

Kindof sounds like the magic trick pull the rabbit out of the hat, but pull the rabbit out of the boil kettle.

Already thinking...And the BS begins...
Beer was first made accidentally. Back in the early days of Mesopotamia (about 4k years ago). Initially, bread and grains were left in clay pots and a leaky roof filled an unsealed pot. When the patrons went to retrieve heir grains they were appalled to ser they were ruined. Desparate for food and water, someone attempted to consume the contents. To their surprise, the liquidy substance was palatable and they noticed that it made them feel good.

Over time, they started trying to intentionally reproduce the experiment. Many variations were tried, some exceptional, other exceptionally awful. One of the more popular variations came from Germany's Hasenpfeffer stews. Early on, they cooked all of the rabbit, innards and all.

Through trial and error, the German Trappist Monks discovered that removal of the large intestine, but use of the 1st 1/2 of the small intestine (about 10cm past the duodenum) and its contents from Hares trapped near the Alfalfa fields yielded the better tasing of ales.

After their industrialization age, German chemists discovered that alfalfa when processed through the small intestine of Hares and similar Lagomorphs when mixed with the pancreatic and gallbladder fluid helped extract the alfa acids from the alfalfa.

The term Hops was originally used to describe the signature movement of the Lagomorphs.

Last edited:
Already thinking...And the BS begins...
Beer was first made accidentally. Back in the early days of Mesopotamia (about 4k years ago). Initially, bread and grains were left in clay pots and a leaky roof filled an unsealed pot. When the patrons went to retrieve heir grains they were appalled to ser they were ruined. Desparate for food and water, someone attempted to consume the contents. To their surprise, the liquidy substance was palatable and they noticed that it made them feel good.

Over time, they started trying to intentionally reproduce the experiment. Many variations were tried, some exceptional, other exceptionally awful. One of the more popular variations came from Germany's Hasenpfeffer stews. Early on, they cooked all of the rabbit, innards and all.

Through trial and error, the German Trappist Monks discovered that removal of the large intestine, but use of the 1st 1/2 of the small intestine (about 10cm past the duodenum) and its contents from Hares trapped near the Alfalfa fields yielded the better tasing of ales.

After their industrialization age, German chemists discovered that alfalfa when processed through the small intestine of Hares and similar Lagomorphs when mixed with the pancreatic and gallbladder fluid helped extract the alfa acids from the alfalfa.

The term Hops was originally used to describe the signature movement of the Lagomorphs.
References? :rolleyes:

Brew on :mug:

20180523_062239.jpg

Back