Don't forget the secret ingredient when pitching yeast starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjohnson

Reaction score
It hasn't been well studied, but I suspect that yeast get emotionally attached to stir bars. The stir bar and yeast form a strong bond during the short time spent in a Erlenmeyer flask. That is why I've decided to start pitching my stir bar into the fermenter. I'm trying to keep my yeast happy. Yeah, thats it...

*facepalm*

Translation-

Dammit, I dropped the stir bar into the fermenter AGAIN!!!!

LOL we've all done it. Next time get a magnet and hold the bar in place with the magnet while you pitch. :)

Yes, those yeast do love their stir bars. So much so that you'll be tempted to pitch the stirbar out of the fermenter with them when you dump the yeast cake. Don't ask me how I know this....

I've read these posts and got an extra magnet when disassembling the hard drive. I use it to fish out the stirbar before pitching. I have not done it -------Yet!

I bet it has little effect on the final taste of the beer. But maybe, with the magnetic effect it will align all the ions in your beer making it the best ever.

Yeah I just did this a second time after reminding myself not to do it again. Doh!

Yup, happened again. It's my only one so I hope I don't need it for something else before this one is done fermenting.

with a strong magnet (rare earth, from a hard drive, etc), you should be able to pull it out of the carboy. next time you take a gravity sample, do the rescue mission.

I ferment in corny's - but either way, its in there for the long haul. I don't want my yeast to have separation anxiety until their work is finished.

Been there, done that, a few times....

Stirbar.jpg

The beer turned out great.

I've found that another stirbar magnet is perfect for holding the one in the vessel in place while you're pouring your yeast into your fermenter

At least you can pull the stir bar out with a strong magnet.

I'm trying to decide which way to pull a drilled stopper out of my primary when it's done.

Cows, like goats will eat just about anything including metal stuff, nails, bits of bailing wire, anything that might get lost in the grass, these items get lodged in the cows stomach and cause "Hardware Disease" so to help with that they feed the cow a suppository shaped magnet that eventually passes and brings those bits with it. We had to keep an eye out for them and save them for reuse when found working around the dairy.....

WMCW-100.jpg

I used to do that all the time so I bought 4 extra stir bars. Ever since then, I haven't done it once.

Haha that's usually how I do. I dropped it in once and didn't have a chance to brew until that one was already into the secondary so I was fine. But Im always afraid I'm going do it again haha. I usually take an earth magnet from a computer hard drive and slide the bar up the side and pull the stir bar out before I pitch

Lost a magnet in the drain, it somehow came apart in the trap, not sure how but i dump some pretty hot water down that drain. Wasted 10 bucks, why are they 10 bucks? Gees.

Lost a magnet in the drain, it somehow came apart in the trap, not sure how but i dump some pretty hot water down that drain. Wasted 10 bucks, why are they 10 bucks? Gees.

check amazon. I forget the name of the vendor i got my 48mm octahedral from, but it was like $6 shipped.

This was only a few weeks ago.

Back