Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20 minutes later...still can't smell anything from the oven. Better check. Must have bumped the oven dial because it was at 220 instead of the 375 called for.

Eh, just crank it up to 525 for ten minutes -- it'll average out!

(Note: at my house, I'm not allowed to make anything more complicated than a phone call for take-out.)

I post way too much to this thread....got home today all excited about the Wit that was ready to be tapped, didn't think I had nothing to eat in the house. I know, I'll make a quiche! Got all the ingredients...while waiting for the butter to thaw a bit, had a couple of my Wits (which may decrease my wits, if you know what I mean). All set up and in the oven. Hmm, can't smell it. Ah well fans are on. 20 minutes later...still can't smell anything from the oven. Better check. Must have bumped the oven dial because it was at 220 instead of the 375 called for. Damn I'm hungry now. Don't Drink and Cook.

The other day my girlfriend and I were making shrimp, and I was in charge of the shrimp while she made veggies. Season the shrimp, toss it in the wok, cook it [expertly to perfect doneness], but then I realized I completely forgot to peel the shrimp before any of that. Not even alcohol-related. Just getting old, I guess...

I did that once when I was first married. (I really am a good cook, honest!) didn't realize the error until they were on the plates and on the table. Can't remember what was on the shrimp, but it was messy peeling them.

I always cook my shrimp with the shells on. Deveined, but not peeled. Sure, they're messy to eat, but I think the shells give them a better flavor. Same reason I like a bone in my ribeye.

Ah, whenever I get shrimp that hasn't been deveined, I always pull out that line from Tommy Boy while I'm cleaning them: "Jeez, why do you always have to de-turd these things? Oh look - they must have caught this guy right after Thanksgiving dinner."

I always cook my shrimp with the shells on. Deveined, but not peeled. Sure, they're messy to eat, but I think the shells give them a better flavor. Same reason I like a bone in my ribeye.

I've peeled the shrimp but kept the shells, sautéed them, and then tossed the shrimp in with them to finish cooking.

Welcome to the cooking while drinking thread. Always like to start something. An old story...way back 27+ years ago when I was pregnant with my daughter, I got the wild idea to make cookies one day. Our stove had the dials on the front, but the timer was on the back...see where this is going? I only had one cookie sheet so could only bake a dozen at a time. After the first two came out burnt black, I finally figured out my monstrous belly was turning the oven to 'broil' when I set the timer. I wasn't drinking at the time, but cooking while pregnant is about the same.

I started reading this and went... Please tell me you weren't drinking while pregnant haha

Nope, didn't have a drop while preggers. Was a good girl. Day I got home from the hospital, however....that was when MGD was having its heyday and I got happy. That's why they have formula. I sound horrible but for someone who loves the actual taste of beer, 9 months was hell. Although I wouldn't trade being a mom for anything...and my baby is getting married next month. Seriously OT but I don't care. Drinking while pregnant...don't do that. There, PSA.

I can see how that would be the case... I've definitely heard people say that if you're grilling shrimp, leaving the shells on can help improve the flavor (as well as protect the meat just slightly from the direct heat).

Of course, if you want to take it to the next level, just eat them with the shells (and head) on! Good stuff!

If you dry-hop in the keg, make sure you use an actual bag and not just a piece of cloth tied into a bag shape. Otherwise, the hops will swell, pull an end out of the tie, escape into the keg, and clog your poppets so you will have to siphon the whole batch through a filter into another keg and carbonate all over again.

I can see how that would be the case... I've definitely heard people say that if you're grilling shrimp, leaving the shells on can help improve the flavor (as well as protect the meat just slightly from the direct heat).

Of course, if you want to take it to the next level, just eat them with the shells (and head) on! Good stuff!

That's how I eat salted-in-the-shell peanuts. Shell and all. They're best that way.

Move kegs from fermentation chamber that was being used for cold storage for a new batch.
Get a giant fruit fly infestation and not be able to figure out where the hell it's coming from.
Realize 10 days later you forget about the 6 cans of apple juice concentrate in the freezer section of the ferm chamber, as you open the door so see a giant acrid brown mess in the bottom of the fridge.
Don't do that!
I think the beer is okay. Its in a Speidel. Unless one of those little ****ers made it through the airlock somehow... I'll know tomorrow.

Move kegs from fermentation chamber that was being used for cold storage for a new batch.
Get a giant fruit fly infestation and not be able to figure out where the hell it's coming from.
Realize 10 days later you forget about the 6 cans of apple juice concentrate in the freezer section of the ferm chamber, as you open the door so see a giant acrid brown mess in the bottom of the fridge.
Don't do that!
I think the beer is okay. Its in a Speidel. Unless one of those little ****ers made it through the airlock somehow... I'll know tomorrow.

Beer is okay. Vodka killed all the lil turds.
Use vodka in your airlocks...
Always do that.

View attachment 1501474159411.jpg

Pretty sure that any liquid will kill them, as they can't fly. Only issue could be suckback.
I've observed dead fruit flies floating in: starsan, vodka, water, sourbeer, regular beer, etc. Sour Beer seems to attract them the most.

Having 3 demijohns in the pantry. Let Juniorette get some instant popcorn, and SOMEHOW have her trip over something and break off 3 airlocks.

Do Not Do That.

Telling Juniorette that you're saving for an Arsegan EasyBrew-30 Automatic Brouwketel. After which se says that 'oh by the way I need a new laptop for my birthday'. In September.
#ugh

Turning your kegerator into a waterator, yes definitely do that.

Turning the water on without making sure your keg is sealed, don't do that.

Thinking your Home Depot hose will stay on the barbs without clamps, don't do that.

Turning the water back on without both ends of the hose clamped, don't do that.

Turning your kegerator into a waterator, yes definitely do that.

Turning the water on without making sure your keg is sealed, don't do that.

Thinking your Home Depot hose will stay on the barbs without clamps, don't do that.

Turning the water back on without both ends of the hose clamped, don't do that.

Interesting. Are you running a water line directly into a keg? Do you let it carb?

Interesting. Are you running a water line directly into a keg? Do you let it carb?

Yes, it's plumbed directly to the water line with 1/4" hose. It seems to hold it just fine other than the hoses blowing off twice before I had clamps on them. At least it was in my detached garage so it wasn't a huge deal. No carb. The keg is there so I always have an adequate supply of cold water without having 100 ft of hose coiled.

Get in a hurry, i know, I know... hook up your keg to 30 psi for some time. Then immediately disconnected and hook to 12 psi.... sigh. Dont do that...

Yes, it's plumbed directly to the water line with 1/4" hose. It seems to hold it just fine other than the hoses blowing off twice before I had clamps on them. At least it was in my detached garage so it wasn't a huge deal. No carb. The keg is there so I always have an adequate supply of cold water without having 100 ft of hose coiled.

My family enjoys carbed water from time to time. This has got me thinking. If I get one of those lids that has a post on it, I could go liquid in one post, directly plumbed to the water line, liquid out to a tap from another post, and use the third post to keep CO2 pressure on it in order to keep it constantly carbed.

My family enjoys carbed water from time to time. This has got me thinking. If I get one of those lids that has a post on it, I could go liquid in one post, directly plumbed to the water line, liquid out to a tap from another post, and use the third post to keep CO2 pressure on it in order to keep it constantly carbed.

You'd probably have to run a pretty high pressure on the co2, otherwise you'd get water backing up into the regulator. I don't know if you can find an adjustable water regulator? Something from a camper or RV maybe.

Until you lose water pressure and feed carbed water and then your CO2 tank contents back into the water lines.

Wouldn't it be a problem, even with a check valve on each input, that the input with the higher pressure would prevent the input with the lower pressure from ever filling in? Unless you turn off the co2, (edit: open the prv,) turn on the water to fill the tank, shut off the water, then turned on the co2, which would still be easier than hand filling the tank. I don't know psi of water lines, highly variable, versus carbing your water with 10 or 20 psi...

Maybe just turn off the co2 and relieve pressure, if the co2 pressure is higher than the water pressure....

Wouldn't it be a problem, even with a check valve on each input, that the input with the higher pressure would prevent the input with the lower pressure from ever filling in? Unless you turn off the co2, (edit: open the prv,) turn on the water to fill the tank, shut off the water, then turned on the co2, which would still be easier than hand filling the tank. I don't know psi of water lines, highly variable, versus carbing your water with 10 or 20 psi...

Maybe just turn off the co2 and relieve pressure, if the co2 pressure is higher than the water pressure....

Good point. the pressure at my tap is usually about 40 psi. So if you had a keg connected directly to the water line you would need 40+ psi to get CO2 into the water. Otherwise water would be forced into the CO2 line.

When the lawn watering system starts and the tap pressure drops to 30 or so you would then need the check valve to stop that 40 PSI CO2 pressure from pushing carbonated water back into the water pipes.

Sort of a balancing act. You open the tap to pull off water and the keg pressure will drop. CO2 would need to flow slow enough that the pressure dropped enough to allow water in, then C02 would continue to flow to shut the check valve and build pressure above water line pressure to provide a C02 blanket and carbonate the water.

The worry would be during a low pressure period the CO2 pressure might never let water flow in and eventually the keg would drain.

It'd probably be easier to just buy the inline carbonator thing that Blichmann (and others) sell now.

The next line is especially for doug293cz:
Overcomplicating things and reinventing the wheel, don't do that. Unless you really want to.

Hmm, good points. Maybe an inline shutoff valve on the water, then just occasionally cut gas and turn the water on to refill.

Fill the water lines in your house with CO2 because you didn't think things threw. Don't do that.

Go away for a week and leave a picnic tap > connected to a keg > that's hanging off of the CO2 manifold > under pressure.
This is what comes next...

Don't do that.

IMG_5048.jpg

When SWMBO gets on your case saying 'you drink too much, I'm getting worried!' (6 beers most nights) so you decide to prove her wrong by agreeing to go a month without drinking...knowing full and well we have a 10 day road trip to the beach with camping all along the way planned next week...DON'T DO THAT!

I don't go to meetings, so I'm good..right? ;) RDWHAHB (in 29 days :()

Back