Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about using priming sugar instead of gas? The yeast will kick back up and use any O2 that was absorbed.

What about using priming sugar instead of gas? The yeast will kick back up and use any O2 that was absorbed.

Good idea. But already chilled and on gas at this point. The only issue with using sugar would be giving it more time for any possible infection to take hold. It's a musty humid Tennessee basement full of microbes. I've seen what grows in my drip tray and samples left out. Not good wild yeast. Occasionally pectil, but usually mold.
Live and learn. Figured I'd post it here so maybe it would prevent anyone else with such a good theory from having such a bad idea.

The other bummer for me is I was hoping to harvest much of this cake, as I took care to get a very clean transfer of wort from the bk, and filtered all the hops in a spider, so I'd have pretty clean yeast to harvest. I'm skeptical about that now, due to infection risks.
I'm down to using two house stains now, pacman and conan. Now, I'll have to start over on the conan. I have a small amount I harvested from the starter. So, not all is lost I guess. But won't have 10 pints in the fridge...

Not paying attention to the little circles in squares on modern stove knobs to see that the right element is on! Then wonder why mash water isn't heating very fast?...D'oh! :smack:...don't do that.

Ready to try my new ExChillerator Maxx for the first time yesterday - I had a batch all ready to chill and realized that I put the water hose fittings on backward... Don't do that!

When backsweetening and bottling a batch of cider... and just moments ago your wife remarked "your batch must be going well, you aren't swearing nearly as much as you used to," DO NOT drop an entire room-temperature can of frozen apple juice concentrate all over the kitchen floor and surrounding cabinets. Don't do that.

My immediate response to her comment:

"HERE'S THE PART WHERE I SWEAR! FU*K FU*K FU*K!!!!"

Funny how I always get to that point on a brew day...maybe even a bottling day, sooner or later. Bad back & hips messing me up that way though. This aging thing is definitely starting to suck out loud...

Waiting until the very END of yesterday's brew day to find the dead spider floating around in your star-san bucket.

I know, I know, the beer will be fine, he's now just a very clean, dead spider. But still...

Don't do that.

I ended up getting my brew day in. I had my 3 kegs set up with water paper towels over the openings all ready to go. Came back after the whirlpool settled and there was a spider on top. Hopefully one didn't make it into the fermenter keg!

Waiting until the very END of yesterday's brew day to find the dead spider floating around in your star-san bucket.

I know, I know, the beer will be fine, he's now just a very clean, dead spider. But still...

Don't do that.

Think to yourself, there's dead spiders I my stars an bucket all the time! (Mine sink, maybe that's better.)

(Probably) Don't do that.

One time, I was nodding at the computer, & a black widow lowered itself into the last drink of HB left in my glass. All the while, a grand daddy long legger had lowered itself onto my forehead, & I could feel the hooks in it's legs digging into my skin with every step! YuuuuK!!

Lol, definitely don't do that! I found a brown recluse living in the Adam's Needle too! Besides those huge black & yellow ones out back!

Meanwhile at Union's house...

26a.jpg

Lol! I was laying next to SWMBO last night reading & watching the Tele, when I happened to look up toward the curtain rod above the one with the A/C unit. And saw a big, black spider doing her thing. This is getting to be a habit. Dang things never show on bug spray day?!:confused:

One time, I was nodding at the computer, & a black widow lowered itself into the last drink of HB left in my glass. All the while, a grand daddy long legger had lowered itself onto my forehead, & I could feel the hooks in it's legs digging into my skin with every step! YuuuuK!!

ignoring the widow, and presuming you were not on psychoactives nor dreaming....

was the "grand daddy long legger" a harvestman? Those aren't actually spiders, and are 100% harmless to humans, and fun to play with: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opiliones

The other species also known by that nickname, aka cellar spider, looks somewhat similar and is also 100% harmless to humans. But I still hate them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pholcidae

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daddy_longlegs_(disambiguation)

Wasn't high or anything, just had a couple HB's. The daddy long legger didn't look like the first one. The kind like a skeeter without wings & that oblong brown body.

I can't stand spiders & any kind of bees. I hate anything that bites or stings, & can look at me several ways at once! Yuuuuk! But snakes, lizards, & the like are way cool...go figure?

I can't stand spiders & any kind of bees. I hate anything that bites or stings, & can look at me several ways at once! Yuuuuk! But snakes, lizards, & the like are way cool...go figure?

I'm not overly fond of snakes. Especially after nearly stepping on an Eastern Massasauga rattlesnake that was coiled up along the edge of the road one brutally hot summer day as I was walking to find a payphone after my car broke down. How I managed not to get bitten, I'll never know.

Yeah, gotta keep your eyes open for snakes. Spiders are sneaky, bees are in your face. Dang yellow jackets are like poodle's, dang nuisance.

Thank God we don't have those camel spiders! Dang, can those get big, from what pics I've seen coming home from A-stan... This used to be a local farmer's field, with a pond & run-off creek running through what is now the garage.

Just.....Oh, HELL NO!!!!!!! Spiders are the one thing I am deathly afraid of.

Guess you won't be drinking at my house then. Besides a yard full of black widows, our guest bedroom has 4 tarantulas. I might have to check though as my wife may have added more since I last looked.

Four gallon kettle with three gallons in it. I'm brewing an extract kit, so I steep my grains and decide to rinse them and add the rinse water to the kettle. That added 4-6 cups. Then I added my LME and DME. Now I am maybe an inch and a half from the top of my pot. I managed to not only get through my boil without boiling over, but also boiled out a half gallon or so, enough for my wort chiller to fit without spilling over.

Using too small of a pot, or too much water, DONT DO THAT!

OG on that three gallons was over 1.06, I added around 2.5 gallons to bring it down to just under 1.05, and 5.5 gallons of wort.

Four gallon kettle with three gallons in it. I'm brewing an extract kit, so I steep my grains and decide to rinse them and add the rinse water to the kettle. That added 4-6 cups. Then I added my LME and DME. Now I am maybe an inch and a half from the top of my pot. I managed to not only get through my boil without boiling over, but also boiled out a half gallon or so, enough for my wort chiller to fit without spilling over.

Using too small of a pot, or too much water, DONT DO THAT!

OG on that three gallons was over 1.06, I added around 2.5 gallons to bring it down to just under 1.05, and 5.5 gallons of wort.

Better check your measurements. 3 gal of 1.060 wort gives 180 points. Add water to make 5.5 gallons and you have 180/5.5 or 1.033 wort. You are making a session beer.

I have a 4 inch piece of silicon hose that is attached to a hose barb/male camlock. I attach it to my hoses when draining wort to my carboy so the wort will be a nice steady stream into said carboy.

Anyhow, yesterday after filling my carboy with freshly chilled wort I decided to detach the camlock to my little hose tail while it was still in the neck of my carboy... And promptly dropped it in with the wort.

Don't Do that.

Ordering tubing and camlocks (or anything requiring specific sizing) after a little too much home brew....don't do that.

Putting together my new rig tonight before tomorrow's planned brew and found my silicon tubing is ID 3/8" instead of 1/2". Good thing I have enough spare lower quality tubing from before to get me through the day.

Adjusting the posts on my corny keg, just before filling the keg and accidentally hit your favorite primary fermentation carboy that is full of beer with your crescent wrench.

Don't Do That!

(The beer was salvaged though.)

IMG_0555.JPG

Back