Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was heating a salt/sugar brine and walked away for a moment. It boiled over and got under the pot. I removed the pot within 5 seconds but the damage was done. No loss of function.

Stovetop.jpg

Don't put bottles on the furnace to "speed up" carbonation so that you and your buddies can drink homebrews this weekend during your kids' play date. Because the Pale Ale that tasted great at bottling will definitely have a diacetyl tinge when you open it.

Decide to taste the concentrated bittering charge (1 oz @ 13.2% AA boiled for 45 in half a gallon filtered water) you whipped up for a little R&D. It is unspeakably foul and bitters your whole upper GI tract until SWMBO suggests some nice, acidic lemonade to cancel it out. Don't do that!

Yes, I decided to taste a *tiny drop* of a hopshot when I did a Heady Topper clone...similar results.

Don't do that either!

Don't put a new keg in the kegerator, hook it up to the high pressure manifold for burst carbing but forget to pop the pressure release valve down to the closed position. The entire contents of the CO2 tank whizzed through every keg in the system, including the five beers connected to the serving pressure manifold, back-flushed through the open valve and left zero pressure in all kegs.

So much for check valves.

Don't do that.

Don't put a new keg in the kegerator, hook it up to the high pressure manifold for burst carbing but forget to pop the pressure release valve down to the closed position. The entire contents of the CO2 tank whizzed through every keg in the system, including the five beers connected to the serving pressure manifold, back-flushed through the open valve and left zero pressure in all kegs.

So much for check valves.

Don't do that.

Ouch!

The above made me think of a guy I used to work with.
Factory work, 5 head drill press...
Put a wooden slat in a jig, step on a pedal and two hydraulic stops would come down and hold the piece in place while.the drills followed and did their jobs.
I look over one day and he is staring at the stops and I can tell what hes thinking..
I tell him "Don't do it"
He sticks his left index finger in and steps on the pedal and it is followed by a crunch and scream.
Popped the tip of his finger like a grape and the nail was split right in half.
When the boss asked what happened, he explained it as an accident and said "don't do that!"

Many years ago I worked at a place that made stuff with aluminum extrusions. There was an automatic saw that would cut, advance the material, cut, and so on. I made the mistake of using the air hose to blow away some chips. Unfortunately, one of the pieces blew out of position and when the blade came down that piece jammed the saw and broke the blade.

Don't do that.

Several years ago I was working at a place that made plastic extrusions. My job at the time was to cut the pieces to length. The saw was kinda like a table saw. It had a guard over the blade that was also a clamp. When you step on the pedal the clamp comes down and then the blade comes up. It was kinda boring work, and one day while putting more parts in to cut, I stuck my arm through under the guard. I had my foot over the pedal before I realized I was about to cut my arm off!

Don't ever do that!!!

When your pin lock kicks and you soak it and rinse it for upcoming sanitize, don't loosely fit the two pin post on the long (beer out) dip tube. You assume that you will carefully inspect all connections when you refill, right? Don't do that !

When your pin lock kicks and you soak it and rinse it for upcoming sanitize, don't loosely fit the two pin post on the long (beer out) dip tube. You assume that you will carefully inspect all connections when you refill, right? Don't do that !

Heh. Been there.

Calibrate your new hops and salts scale with a 200g weight when it asks for 100. Wonder later why your pH is off, your 1oz hops bags are weighing in at 2oz!

Thankfully, the beer shouldn't suffer much as its a Hefe and softer than expected water won't hurt and I was able to adjust with a bit of lactic... Still don't figure out why until the hops weighed out double!

Don't hang out with your girlfriend until 10:45 when you live 30+ minutes away and have to get up at 6AM for work!

^^^ That calls for a sleep over...
Do that!

Or go have a sleepover with your girlfriend when you know you have to get up at 5 AM to come home to your wife* and get your son ready for school...

It's complicated.

But actually, do that. It's worth it ;-)

* Soon to be ex-wife...

Add calcium chloride to a carbed keg and expect you can get the lid back on before the foam over.

Don't do that.

Also, in your haste, don't improperly seat the lid causing it to shoot beer two feet in the air. Only lost about a quart, but the clean up was the real punishment.

Note that you can dissolve it in a little water first, then you would be OK.

Add calcium chloride to a carbed keg and expect you can get the lid back on before the foam over.

Don't do that.

Also, in your haste, don't improperly seat the lid causing it to shoot beer two feet in the air. Only lost about a quart, but the clean up was the real punishment.

So I'm sure you had a good reason to be adding calcium chloride to fully carbed beer, so why was that?

A layer of frost/ice built up on my lager chamber(fridge guts) decided I would chisel some off. Grabbed what i thought was a blunt end chisel..Nope, it was a 3/4 hole drill bit and the giant hiss that I heard was me directly hitting a compressor line. Don't do that!

Making a dunce hat before I head up to the Depot...

A layer of frost/ice built up on my lager chamber(fridge guts) decided I would chisel some off. Grabbed what i thought was a blunt end chisel..Nope, it was a 3/4 hole drill bit and the giant hiss that I heard was me directly hitting a compressor line. Don't do that!

Making a dunce hat before I head up to the Depot...

Ooof I can feel the pain. But how did you mistake a chisel for a drill bit? Too much HB?

Try and reconnect your freshly cleaned and rebuilt liquid out QD on your full keg, testing for leaks, BEFORE you reassemble and install your also freshly cleaned faucet back into the tower. Don't do that!!

Ooof I can feel the pain. But how did you mistake a chisel for a drill bit? Too much HB?

I did mason work at one point and have a small chisel that has a paint line on it like my 1" in drill bit. Grabbed the bit from just glancing in my tool box drawer and what makes the situation even worse is the fact that I was completely sober.

I did mason work at one point and have a small chisel that has a paint line on it like my 1" in drill bit. Grabbed the bit from just glancing in my tool box drawer and what makes the situation even worse is the fact that I was completely sober.

Oh man that's a bummer. But hey that's a good excuse to get an even bigger chest freezer and you can just tell swmbo that it just died. She does not have to know. Or at least that's what my father would tell me when he would get pulled over for speeding...

So you're trying to get a jump on tomorrow's brew day - figure you'll set up the system and make sure everything's clean. Run some hot water through your pump and kettle. You think "that fermenter needs a once over" so you dump a couple of scoops of pbw in there and proceed to fill it with the hot water from the kettle. As the big mouth bubbler shrinks to a third its normal size, you think "oh **** that's right, I bought plastic." Don't do that...

image.jpg

So you're trying to get a jump on tomorrow's brew day - figure you'll set up the system and make sure everything's clean. Run some hot water through your pump and kettle. You think "that fermenter needs a once over" so you dump a couple of scoops of pbw in there and proceed to fill it with the hot water from the kettle. As the big mouth bubbler shrinks to a third its normal size, you think "oh **** that's right, I bought plastic." Don't do that...

Did you have that sealed up and negative air pressure as the water cooled caused it to collapse in on itself, or did it melt the plastic?

Did you have that sealed up and negative air pressure as the water cooled caused it to collapse in on itself, or did it melt the plastic?

That can also happen to plastic carboys when you fill them with hot wort because you forgot to turn on the water to your counter flow chiller.

Don't do that.

It wasn't sealed but the water was almost 180 going in through the hole. It melted and contracted at the same time... ******* move...

Just siphoned my Rye IPA into the keg, which was fresh cleaned and put back together. Got it all sealed up and walked over to the beer fridge to hit it with about 45psi and purge it. Hook up the gas and crank the regulator and... Nothing. CO2 tank was empty and the local refill place is already closed. Hopefully there's enough positive pressure to keep it through the night...

Don't do that.

Leave things go in the man cave/brewery when 60th b-day draws near. work on relationship while brewing ingredients sit idly by. Now only brew for summer is a stout left over...DON'T DO THAT!!!

...or for anniversary...a 3-keg kegerator comes to mind. Dang bottles...

Already there. My wife, after ten years, has come to recognize my ability to try and improve a process but instead, break stuff.
I just hope the beer is OK. Got a few fruit flies in the basement and the lid blew off, opening the fridge door in the process.
I only had one keg ready to fill.
Had to ahower and get to work so I grabbed another that I emptied last week, sprayed it out with hot water and sloshed some star San around. Filled and chilled. Figure if I drink it fast, it might be ok. Definitely defeated to purpose of o2 exposure.

Back