Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drop the bag of hops in the boiling wort....instinctive without thinking quickly use your hands and grab the package out....and burn the shyte out of your fingers. Don't do that.

Brew an award-winning recipe for a doppelbock...do that.
Pay special attention to pitch rate, fermentation temperature, and oxygenation...do that.
Lager for 8 weeks, patiently waiting to sample and avoid oxidation...do that.
Don't filter hop trub. Don't transfer to secondary. Don't use any finings and still expect brilliant beer. DON'T DO THAT!

Brew an award-winning recipe for a doppelbock...do that.
Pay special attention to pitch rate, fermentation temperature, and oxygenation...do that.
Lager for 8 weeks, patiently waiting to sample and avoid oxidation...do that.
Don't filter hop trub. Don't transfer to secondary. Don't use any finings and still expect brilliant beer. DON'T DO THAT!

Just hit it with gelatin and lager for another couple days. If that fails. Super-kleer.

I just had really impressive success using gelatin for the first time. Im sold!

Think that you know your recipe so well you don't have to refer to it. Then leave out the step where you boil down a gallon of the first runnings to syrup (which is added back to the boil).

And wonder why your fg is low. Don't do that.

Run water supply to your new wash tub (which sits right outside your new recording studio) in an exterior wall during winter when it's -28 celsius out.

Or,

Forget to rinse a whole batch of infected bottles you popped and poured, let them fill full of fruit flies, and then refill them with a delicious ginger beer you just made.

Forget to rinse a whole batch of infected bottles you popped and poured, let them fill full of fruit flies, and then refill them with a delicious ginger beer you just made.

Just gotta ask, how'd you manage this? I'd think something would have tipped you off

The thing that tipped me off to a fruit fly issue in my house a few months back was when my son accidentally kicked an unused fermenter and their evil lair underneath the bucket became known when it tipped over. Those things went everywhere and took forever to kill. ****.

Just gotta ask, how'd you manage this? I'd think something would have tipped you off

I should have put

"Drink a quart of whiskey, take two atavan, fly home, bottle beer...... Don't do that"

I bottled three batches that day and had a huge pile of bottles in one small room, when I was filling I was just grabbing from the wrong pile. It blew my mind how this happened considering how thorough I usually am with my bottle inspection.

Unfortunately I believed I was pulling from a pile of bottles that were "thoroughly" inspected.

I should have put

"Drink a quart of whiskey, take two atavan, fly home, bottle beer...... Don't do that"

I bottled three batches that day and had a huge pile of bottles in one small room, when I was filling I was just grabbing from the wrong pile. It blew my mind how this happened considering how thorough I usually am with my bottle inspection.

Unfortunately I believed I was pulling from a pile of bottles that were "thoroughly" inspected.

Haha oh wow. Well, I think you can safely say "don't do that."

I should have put
"Drink a quart of whiskey, ... , bottle beer...... Don't do that"
Ya, beering while drunk tends to not turn out well.
I also have a habit of hitting all my bottles with a wine "sulfiter" with starsan before I bottle. And after I found some that weren't really clean after rinsing, I started looking through them with a bright light also, just in case, till all of them were fully clear.

Dump your erlenmeyer flask filled with sanitizer into the sink and forget to put your keeper magnet on the stir bar and watch it flush into the garbage disposal. Luckily the garbage disposal is steel so I was able to fish it out, but still... Dont do that

Dump your erlenmeyer flask filled with sanitizer into the sink and forget to put your keeper magnet on the stir bar and watch it flush into the garbage disposal. Luckily the garbage disposal is steel so I was able to fish it out, but still... Dont do that

LOL, been there, done that. :) Might I make a suggestion?

yeaststarterwithcannedwort-08-2661-full.jpg

LOL, been there, done that. :) Might I make a suggestion?

yeaststarterwithcannedwort-08-2661-full.jpg

Suggestion not needed... Already had blue painters tape on there with the same thing written down. Just totally absent minded, picked the thing up and dumped her down the sink... :confused:

I use a two quart iced tea pitcher to make my starters. Right after I drop the stir bar in, I put on the lid and turn it to strain liquids.

Just as bad as me puttin' thick shot glasses in hop bag to sink it. Then empty into garbage can forgetting it was in there.

Don't finish cutting through steel with a dremel and then use your fingers to remove the last piece that's attached without letting it cool down first

Keep a bottle of pinesol in the same style opaque spray bottle as your bottle of star san, then use it to "sanitize" the aluminum foil on your starter. Then 20 minutes later wonder "why does the kitchen smell like pinesol?" and proceed to sniff everything only to discover that you've ruined your starter and have to start over.

Don't do that.

Don't put a full 5L Erlenmeyer flask on a stir plate on top of a dryer if there is any chance your wife will run said dryer.

My new dryer fixed that problem by not having a flat top surface to set things on. Annoying as hell, but at least the machine works well and had a good price / ratings.

Was dry hopping my Pineapple IPA yesterday with 3oz Citra/3oz Mosiac and dropped the damn plastic bowl that held the hops into the fermenter. :mad:

The bowl was submerged in Starsan for about 20 minutes before weighing the hops out in it. But then I touched it with my (unsanitized) hands, set it on the (unsanitized) scale,then set it on the (unsanitized) floor before attempting to pour the hops into the bucket. :(

Hopefully there's enough alcohol, hops and a PH low enough to suppress a potential infection. It'll be at cold crash temps in four or five days, so hopefully that'll also help slow the growth of anything unwanted.

Anyways... don't do that.

Was dry hopping my Pineapple IPA yesterday with 3oz Citra/3oz Mosiac and dropped the damn plastic bowl that held the hops into the fermenter. :mad:

The bowl was submerged in Starsan for about 20 minutes before weighing the hops out in it. But then I touched it with my (unsanitized) hands, set it on the (unsanitized) scale,then set it on the (unsanitized) floor before attempting to pour the hops into the bucket. :(

Hopefully there's enough alcohol, hops and a PH low enough to suppress a potential infection. It'll be at cold crash temps in four or five days, so hopefully that'll also help slow the growth of anything unwanted.

Worry about it... Don't do that.

Decide to no chill because its below freezing out, but forget to take off blankets that help get to boil faster. It was 27 deg. in my garage this morning but my wort is still 110 13 hrs later.

Worry about it... Don't do that.

Yeah it's likely to be just fine.

Buy a brand new GE 7.0 chest freezer because your old one bit the dust and assume the old collar would fit. Checking dimensions prior to buying is for suckers....

Don't do that.

Need to heat my water to 159° to get my mash temp to 150°. Heated water to 150° because... homebrew? Had to add ALL my sparge volume at 165° to get my mash up to the right temp.

Don't do that.

I only read back about 15 pages but didn't see these....

I told my buddy to move hoses on my herms set up so we could start sparging. I neglected to include the instruction "make sure valve is turned off"...and we sprayed wort all over the stand, floor, the chest I keep my grain in, the wall, and him.

Have a hefe fermenting at 70, attach a blowoff tube to drain into a bucket that still had a fair amount of grain dust, and culture creepy mold in your fermentation fridge because wort was spraying out the airlock before attaching the blowoff. It smelled like a rotting corpse.

Don't do those.

Use 50g of pink salt in your basic cure. Then after ruining 30 pounds of bacon realize that the "pink salt" you bought is actually straight sodium nitrite (even though the tub says pink salt but the only ingredient is sodium nitrite) that needs to be cut with sodium chloride to 6.25%. That stuff is poisonous. And it tastes bad.

Don't do that. It's a crime to waste bacon.

Use 50g of pink salt in your basic cure. Then after ruining 30 pounds of bacon realize that the "pink salt" you bought is actually straight sodium nitrite (even though the tub says pink salt but the only ingredient is sodium nitrite) that needs to be cut with sodium chloride to 6.25%. That stuff is poisonous. And it tastes bad.

Don't do that. It's a crime to waste bacon.

Oh man. I think that would actually make me cry.

Back