Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make a starter with two cans of Fast Pitch and forget to add two cans of water...no idea how high that gravity was.

Chill your wort to 50c then realize you can't find your &$/*king pond pump to pump the ice water through to get down to pitch temp.
Search the house for over 30 mins whilst stressing about your batch getting infected
Come back to find the 30L of water you pumped into the washing machine has gravity siphoned itself out and onto the floor
Then jury rig an aquarium pump to your ice water only to ultimately realize you could have used gravity to feed the bloody ice water through 45 mins ago

Don't do all of that

Mistake a plastic jug of Poland Spring Water for water and start pouring it into your fish tank. Realize while your pouring that it's a jug of StarSan...

I guess a label would have helped.

Well, I hope they weren't expensive or rare fish. Although my daughter won a goldfish at a local fair. That little mofo wound up costing around $100. (larger tank, gravel, fake plants, filters, additional fish buddies, food, etc. All for a ceramic "burial at sea.")

Clean your daughter's fish tank (another series of fish) with a little chlorox to get rid of all that algae, then not rinse that tank enough.

you should only use about a 2% solution for that. Beyond that, when I was raising/breeding tropical fish, I kept algae eaters & corydoras in the tank. They constantly eat that stuff.

Delay the brew day so you can help your daughter and her fiancée get organized for their upcoming move to Hawaii next week (well, DO do THAT!).

Brew at night due to said delay and drop your flash light into the boil!

Don't do THAT!

Gotta say, that little mag lite was still going strong when I fished it out!

Well, I hope they weren't expensive or rare fish. Although my daughter won a goldfish at a local fair. That little mofo wound up costing around $100. (larger tank, gravel, fake plants, filters, additional fish buddies, food, etc. All for a ceramic "burial at sea.")

$100?! Man, that's nothing! A few years ago my daughter was given a goldfish for Christmas. I felt sorry for the thing in the little bowl so we got a bigger tank. And a bigger rank. And....realize I have a problem.

I now have a 29g for the goldfish, a 10g in my basement, a 55g African cichlid tank in my office, and.a 29g cichlid tank below that one!

Yeah, I laugh at your $100! :)

Cheap out and get a plastic hose Y for your brew room water supply. I'm just glad I was in the room when the damn thing blew apart today!

Cheaping out on critical parts....don't do that!

Clearly label your "in" and "out" post on both the actual post and on the keg, but somehow manage to switch them anyway, and only realize the error after several frustrating minutes of wrestling with a stuck disconnect.

...don't do that.

Clearly label your "in" and "out" post on both the actual post and on the keg, but somehow manage to switch them anyway, and only realize the error after several frustrating minutes of wrestling with a stuck disconnect.
...don't do that.

Every time I think about switching from pin to ball locks, I remember this and forget about it.

$100?! Man, that's nothing! A few years ago my daughter was given a goldfish for Christmas. I felt sorry for the thing in the little bowl so we got a bigger tank. And a bigger rank. And....realize I have a problem.

I now have a 29g for the goldfish, a 10g in my basement, a 55g African cichlid tank in my office, and.a 29g cichlid tank below that one!

I guess I don't want to think about the price per pound if you were able to eat them.

Don't put a full size auto siphon into a 2 quart jug and expect the whole thing not to topple over in the middle of transferring wort into a bottling bucket. It will topple, there will be wort on the floor, but my reflexes are getting better.

Don't do that... unless you like cleaning things up.

...set your grain mill on your bucket and connect your drill, turn on drill to a nice speed then step back, pour in grain recipe, watch as drill bucks flipping grain mill and grain all over wood deck (with 1/4" board gaps!)... Don't do that

...set your grain mill on your bucket and connect your drill, turn on drill to a nice speed then step back, pour in grain recipe, watch as drill bucks flipping grain mill and grain all over wood deck (with 1/4" board gaps!)... Don't do that

I was breaking in my grain mill yesterday and at first the drill wouldn't turn the roller to crush the grain. Then I adjusted the torque and off it went! And by "off it went" I mean the mill started spinning, grain went flying, and I went to get the vacuum.

On a related note...Don't buy a used fish tank.

I bought a 20 gallon tank for my Oscar. I was living in an upstairs apartment at the time.

I set it up in my spare bedroom, added gravel, plugged in the filter, and got everything running. I wanted to wait a day before I added the fish.

I was watching TV and I heard the sound of water. I went into the room and saw a tiny spray coming from one corner of the tank. No big deal. I can drain the tank and fix it with silicone. I walked over and put my finger on it to stop the water flow. The entire side of the tank split as soon as I touched it. Water started pouring out.

I grabbed the tank and bear hugged it to hold the water in. I couldn't lift the tank, and if I walked away the entire thing would explode. I stood there for 15 minutes, clueless as to what to do next.

Finally, I just let go of the tank and ran like a maniac. I grabbed every towel, sheet, and article of clothing I had and tried to contain the water. Luckily, the people below me didn't get wet, but my carpeting was soaked. I had to go buy a shop vac and do a lot of laundry.

Lesson learned - no more used fish tanks. Don't do that!

Filled my igloo cube with beer bottles. Water up to the neck.
Plugged in my newly purchased aquarium heater.
Thought nothing of the coil red hot and smoking.
Placed it in the water and POP, thing shattered to pieces.
The sound Startles my 5 year old, she is now a afraid to enter the brew room. And she was helper on bottlin days.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453940595.400929.jpg

Ooooohhhh.

Has anyone told you yet how much easier it is to take care of a saltwater tank? And live rock makes it take care of itself.

Yeah, don't do that. :D

I can remember freshwater, raising Cichlid's (Lemon Jakes were my favorite), and having a room full of tanks. Not to mention the 90 in the living room for a reef.

Make sure you tighten your Beer Out barb to your beer line or you will have to use your shop vac to vacuum out your keezer. It was not a great beer

Back