Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have nutrient yeast, never have used it (but make starters as large as beersmith tells me to). However, I use a stir plate. Apparently, if you swirl a few times a day, you should get comparable results. IMHO, stiring is better than introducing a product that has not been heat sterilized.

BTW, I have only missed gravity ONCE, and this is because I did not have beer smith and did not pitch enough yeast.

one of my friends and his old rodeo partner made an O2/Acetylene bomb with a construction grade trash bag. don't do that.

brings this to mind :)

hindenburg.jpg

Took the thermometer out of the mash water to add the grains. wound up over-shooting the mash temp. Don't do that...

Refilling the HLT after mashing in, through the ball value (it is so silent filling from the bottom), forgetting it is filling, driving to the coffee shop during the mash, coming home to water everywhere!

Do do it! *then forgetting* Don't do it a second time!

Turn the water on in the sink for an ice bath then go to another room while it fills.... and fills... oops forgot.... Don't do that.

While transferring my fermenter from my swamp cooler so I could change the water because it had gotten trubby, I decided I could hold the fermenter in one hand and move a tub with 5 gallons of water with the other. Dropped the fermenter, lost easily 3 quarts of deliciousness. Didn't spill the stupid trub water though.

Don't do that.

Double whammy my last brew day...

Fill the HLT to the very top not accounting for thermal volume increase...

...then open the ball valve to dump some hot water after the burner has been on full for about 20 minutes.

Thank God no one was standing in front of the HLT to be subjected to the resulting steam cannon.

Don't do that.

Last weekend I was kegging a batch. I hook co2 up to one of those orange carboy caps and use the co2 to get the siphon going. SWMBO started talking to me and I didn't notice that too much co2 was going in (couldn't hear because she had just started the nearby washing machine). We're talking and then KABLAMMO!! Over pressure made the cap pop off with one hell of a bang that scared the crap out of both of us.

No harm to anyone or to the beer or to the equipment, but still - don't do that.

back sweetened a batch of cider while kegging, carbed it, decided it was not sweet enough.......................pulled out the keg and added more sugar/condensed cider to keg......................instant cider volcano :drunk:. Over a gallon on the floor :smack:

Don't do that!!!

Make starter wort in the erlenmeyer flask and forget to add the stir bar. Add it to nearly boiling wort for sanitization. _ Don't do that.

Well, since it isn't all brew related...

Filling up a 2 liter soda bottle with gasoline, placing it on a bench in front of a bonfire, then standing about 30 yards away and shooting it with a .45acp. Don't do that.

So.... I had a visual: round going thru bottle, carrying with it the stream of gasoline, into flames of bonfire, fire backflash along aerated stream of gasoline to bottle......BOOM.

Accurate, or too much slow motion Myth busters? :D Cuz, I gotta tell ya, other than maybe standing farther away, sounds rather interesting to see results.... jus sayin'.....

Rack to a better bottle for aging. Plug the hole with an undrilled stopper rather than a drilled one with an air lock.
Come back to the basement 4 days later to see the stopper lying on the floor, and the beer exposed to air for 4 days.

Don't do that.

Close. When the round went through, the pressure ruptured the bottle and created a 'cloud' of gasoline droplets. Like a mist. When it ignited, I felt it suck air towards it before I felt the concussion. The fireball was HUGE!

My wife's fault. She left me unsupervised...

Wives: husbands with access to firearms and gasoline (or any other recreational explosives combination) left unsupervised.......

Don't do that

one of my friends and his old rodeo partner made an O2/Acetylene bomb with a construction grade trash bag. don't do that.

I've done things like that many times with no ill effect.... you just need to know enough to set it off at a safe distance. I built the most awesome oxy acetylene spud gun you ever saw once. The plastic tubing was reinforce by cutting the little flange out of couplers so they could slide over the pipe, and covering it entirely, then dropping the works into a piece of steel exhaust pipe. I set it off with a spark plug in the bottom, and had a bolt through the works to drive the spud down to for consistent chamber volume. I would light a torch and adjust the flame properly, then snuff it out on my boot, and insert it into the spark plug hole for a suitable amount of time, then screw in the spark plug, sand bag the spud gun in place, and touch it off from about 20' away. It would break a sheet of half inch plywood 100 yards away, and we experimented with ballistics, trying to lop spuds into a neighbor's yard 1/4 mile away...... we succeeded!! This was way out in the country. We got comfortable enough that I would hold the barrel down with my foot... the barrel being the outer steel pipe after aiming it. My buddy would touch it off with a wire to the coil (breaking the circuit just like poiints). His mother had grown a bunch of spuds we classified as "shooters"....... too much manure in the garden, and they came out scabby. About 2/3 of the way through the wheelbarrow of spuds, I was standing with my foot on the barrel and Bob touched the thing off, and along with the spud, is spewed a pile of plastic fragments!! No harm done, nobody hurt, but it was the end of my spud gun adventures.

H.W.

I've done things like that many times with no ill effect.... you just need to know enough to set it off at a safe distance. I built the most awesome oxy acetylene spud gun you ever saw once. The plastic tubing was reinforce by cutting the little flange out of couplers so they could slide over the pipe, and covering it entirely, then dropping the works into a piece of steel exhaust pipe. I set it off with a spark plug in the bottom, and had a bolt through the works to drive the spud down to for consistent chamber volume. I would light a torch and adjust the flame properly, then snuff it out on my boot, and insert it into the spark plug hole for a suitable amount of time, then screw in the spark plug, sand bag the spud gun in place, and touch it off from about 20' away. It would break a sheet of half inch plywood 100 yards away, and we experimented with ballistics, trying to lop spuds into a neighbor's yard 1/4 mile away...... we succeeded!! This was way out in the country. We got comfortable enough that I would hold the barrel down with my foot... the barrel being the outer steel pipe after aiming it. My buddy would touch it off with a wire to the coil (breaking the circuit just like poiints). His mother had grown a bunch of spuds we classified as "shooters"....... too much manure in the garden, and they came out scabby. About 2/3 of the way through the wheelbarrow of spuds, I was standing with my foot on the barrel and Bob touched the thing off, and along with the spud, is spewed a pile of plastic fragments!! No harm done, nobody hurt, but it was the end of my spud gun adventures.

H.W.

As a welder/fabricator I've had many people want my help with various similar contraptions. But I've almost managed to blow myself up a few times without trying, so I always declined.

Wine related - it came time to degas - this is in a carboy

Stirred a little with my degasing paddle by hand. Then connected the drill - effect like opening a shaken beer, foamy redness exploding outward.

don't do that.

Shoot a an old TV CRT with a rifle. Yes, do that!

(initially the glass shards start to expand outward and then gets sucked back towards the center and the glass ends up in a neat little pile.)

We did that with a tractor inner tube a long time ago. I bit of cannon fuse to give us time to get out of there, and BAM!

Today, we'd probably get a friendly visit from the ATF.

Latest posts

Back