Domed false bottom for boil in Grainfather

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymosbeershack

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brew in a grainfather and have been using a hop spider for the last few batches. The decrease in usage of hops is very noticeable so I'm looking for a better option. I'm thinking about adding a domed false bottom. My only question is, with the heating elements essentially under the kettle, will it effect the boil? I really want to be able to just throw hops in. Thanks for your help.

Why?

I’ve put upwards of 10oz of hops into a Grainfather with zero issues... actually the more hops the better the filtration IMHO.

Probably close to 80 batches on mine, used a hop slider for 3, never again.

Why?

I’ve put upwards of 10oz of hops into a Grainfather with zero issues... actually the more hops the better the filtration IMHO.

Probably close to 80 batches on mine, used a hop slider for 3, never again.
You use the stock pickup tube screen/filter? I put 10oz in and was scraping it with my mash paddle for the whole chilling process just to keep it running. That's when I added the spider.

10oz, no scraping no problem. The hops act as a better filter bed than the standard screen. If you run back into the Grainfather for a little it will help to clear your wort even more. Without the hops I think you end up with more Trub in the fermenter. Whirpooling the wort and letting it sit for 15 definitely helps.

Maybe it was clogged with proteins or similar it was a cold day and my boil wasn't strong. I'll go right in next brew and see. Thanks for the advice.

Never had any problems whatsoever with the 29 batches brewed with the Garinfather. Just like couchsending, I've used anything between 5 and 10 oz hops loose in the kettle and never experienced any issues transferring clear wort into the fermenter or clogged filter/pump.

There are some few, simple things you can do to make your life easier. The dollars invested in a hop spider are better put to use towards a CO2 canister or an used keg or even a pH meter, which is definitely a much better item to have for brewing, than a hop spider.

I used both leaf and pellet hops, although I stick to pellets.

You guys were dead on. Just put 7 oz in a batch with no spider or bag. Less trub in the fermenter than any batch with the spider. Thanks for the advise.

Back