Dollar tree oxyclean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse b

Reaction score
Okay, I'm a fan of a big deal. A little ghetto. I admit it but if I use Dollar tree OxiClean can I clean my keg with it? And what exactly are the steps? Do I just add it with some water and leave it for a while and then rinse it out? Or what do I do? Are there any risks of chemical contamination?

Agreed, scent and dye free worked well.
I also rinsed everything overly well since I wasn't using cleanser that was "food safe". Probably spent more in the extra water that it was for that same amount of power.

No imperic data to support just a feeling this one.

Look at the ingredients listed on the tub.
You want Sodium PerCarbonate to be listed first, as the main (largest %) component. That's usually cut, (followed by) the much more common Sodium Carbonate (= washing soda, no Per).
The Per part (coming from Peroxide) releases the Oxygen, which is what you're after.*

I've bought the Dollar Tree's "Oxiclean" a few years ago, it has always worked fine for me.

Add some (30%) TSP/90 (Sodium MetaSilicate) to your (generic) Oxiclean and you've got yourself homemade PBW for a really good price. :D

* That said I do think the oxygen part is highly overrated for cleaning. Washing soda is just as good a cleaner for kegs, kettles, etc., and other hard and smooth materials.

Do I just add it with some water and leave it for a while and then rinse it out?
What unit of time are you measuring "while" with?

If you are measuring that in minutes, you are probably okay. Hours too if you don't use all the fingers on one hand. If measuring while by days then you could be in trouble right at the start.

Are there any risks of chemical contamination?
If it’s manufactured in China and sold by $ tree, I’d say yes. But, the good news is you can buy scent free oxy from Walmart for much less per pound than “one step” from the Homebrew shop. Oh, and use a sponge to go over the surfaces before the rinse or letting it dry. Thin biofilm isn’t easy to see unless it is stained with iodine.

Back