Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wife picked up the Thanksgiving turkey
20211119_100016.jpg

my Mom had a 100-lb Dobie who thought the TV was a window, anything on the TV pissed him off (Animal Planet, of course), he would run outside to that side of the house, barking his stubby tail off

my big goofy buddy, Rolf

& here he is, "parking it" as Mom called it. throw his a$$ up on the couch, like he was a human sitting there.

yes, 2/3 of the couch was his. Mom didn't even need all that 1/3 on her side

rolfie.jpg

Yeah, he's big on hospital dramas.

we have decided this house just isn't a home without a beagle's heart beating in it*

so, this morning, we are on our way to pick up a 3yo female & fostering her for a bit.

y'all meet Tracy. Tracy, meet the wonderful idiots who help me make better beer

(we have to stick with that name for potential adoptive families)

*not like 'stuck in the wall' kind of beating heart, that's just creepy AF, your sick minds thinking that

TracyHughes3.jpg

we have decided this house just isn't a home without a beagle's heart beating in it*

so, this morning, we are on our way to pick up a 3yo female & fostering her for a bit.

y'all meet Tracy. Tracy, meet the wonderful idiots who help me make better beer

(we have to stick with that name for potential adoptive families)

*not like 'stuck in the wall' kind of beating heart, that's just creepy AF, your sick minds thinking that

View attachment 750155
Poe? I doubt many picked up on that haha. Happy thanksgiving.

when we woke up the morning after we said goodbye to the Howdy, the first thing the wife said to me was "I heard his tags jingle in the middle of the night"

so did I

In "Telltale" the heart was in the floor. In "Cask" it was in the wall, but the sound was bells.... Maybe like dog tags?
;)

Keeping one you foster is known as a foster fail. I know a few people that foster all the time and all have failed on at least one that is now a permanent family member. We have three fur kids and all are rescued from high kill shelters or abusive situations. Rescue pets are the best. All they want is a safe and loving home. When you give them that, they give back so much more.

we've had 3 beagles, all rescues & all have been the sweetest dogs I've known

well... the 2nd one was ½ beagle, ½ basset. a bagle

we didn't get enough time with that one... my Goombah. only had him 2 years, he had liver & kidney problems & he eventually stopped eating. pretty much the same as Howdy went, but at waaaaaay too young an age. he was only 5 yo

muh Goombah. he was so handsome & sweet. not so bright, tho. the BigHair called him the Brad Pitt of dogs

468639_4456239767836_1166205922_o.jpg

Keeping one you foster is known as a foster fail. I know a few people that foster all the time and all have failed on at least one that is now a permanent family member. We have three fur kids and all are rescued from high kill shelters or abusive situations. Rescue pets are the best. All they want is a safe and loving home. When you give them that, they give back so much more.

Rescues are the best.

My daughter's Girl Scout leader fosters dogs, or something they started during covid lockdown. The first...they ended up keeping, but they've gone on to foster and find homes for about a dozen or so since and still going. My daughter has tried numerous times to find one of them a home with us, but I've realized I'm a one dog kinda guy. It wasn't until my old girl was gone (right, she lived to 16, 4 years after this pic) that I even gave the young one (3 in this pic, now 8) a chance to show me how great of a companion he really is.

WP_20140209_015.jpg

she's BEAUTIFUL!

& agree on the puppy industry

Howdy was a puppy mill dog. abandoned when he wouldn't hunt

part of me wants to hate the people who do that, but there's a part of me that thanks them for the 11 wonderful years we had with our freckle-faced boy

Ours was a rescue, too, about 9 years ago. I drove her halfway round Europe for 2 days to get home. We'll always have a dog, but no way are we going to support that unfortunate 'puppy' industry.

View attachment 751035
View attachment 751036

noticed Gemma has markings on her back that look like the silhouette of another dog

near her head, it looks like an ear on the left & nose on the right

or, I may be high AF. again

Attachments

• 263333213_5224206924263338_4647056484437852029_n.jpg
    263333213_5224206924263338_4647056484437852029_n.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 4
The wife and I had a total of 7 dogs together, and I added the little one in this pic to the tally in September. These three will never understand how much they have kept me grounded the last months since her passing, they are my world right now. From left to right, Meka (7), Renee (.5), & Haylee (4) just after getting a bath a bit over a month ago.

1638896480071.png

we learned a little bit about our future foster fail, Gemma.

she was rescued from a high-kill shelter in NC, at what they're telling us was the very last minute

we're pretty sure she was in a loving home, but was abandoned or lost. there's no way she could be this loving towards EVERYONE she comes in contact with if she had been mistreated in any way.

& how she acts towards the kids in the neighborhood, especially the girls, she just adores them. we think she may have had a little girl to love on her in her previous home

on the one hand, it's very sad she lost a very loving home with a loving family, but she's brightened our lives so much in the short time she's been with us.

it was the same with the Howdy... yes, he came from a puppy mill, but if it didn't exist, we wouldn't have spent 11 wonderful years with the best dog ever.

20211225_083422.jpg

Last edited:
This is CoCo. She is a Pit Bull/Sharpei rescue girl. My wife hadn't had a dog since childhood, and wanted a dog that would focus on her. I took her to a no-kill shelter in Santa Fe and adopted the one that absolutely would not leave her alone. CoCo's life revolves around staring at my wife and following her around.

1642811122207.png

IMG_20211016_103051945.jpg

hilma likes to pose too, when we decided to get her, there were no good rescues available and we were set on a certain type of dog(spitz), so we found a relatively local lady who did shows with her keeshonden and was having puppies for the next "generation", if there were more than 2 in the litter, we were allowed to buy one, so we lucked out, she was the smallest of the litter.

Great pictures; sure wish we could afford a dog, hopefully someday.
There are many dogs out there in shelters in need of a forever home. Many rescue organizations have very reasonable adaption fees. We have three rescue dogs and they are the best. All they ask is for a safe home and they will give back far more than they receive. If considering getting a dog, please consider a rescue. They will love you for it! Here are two of our pack.
20170820_143141.jpg

There are many dogs out there in shelters in need of a forever home. Many rescue organizations have very reasonable adaption fees. We have three rescue dogs and they are the best. All they ask is for a safe home and they will give back far more than they receive. If considering getting a dog, please consider a rescue. They will love you for it! Here are two of our pack.View attachment 756689
That is how we'll do it once our financial situation improves.

Great pictures; sure wish we could afford a dog, hopefully someday.
I just saw this post the other day from one of my local shelters. I am on my second shelter dog, the first was fantastic the second one was a little older and seems to have been abused. 3 years later she is finally behaving like a normal dog....mostly.
1642944440064.png
1642944699941.png

Attachments

• 1642944700468.png
    1642944700468.png
    368.5 KB · Views: 2
I just saw this post the other day from one of my local shelters. I am on my second shelter dog, the first was fantastic the second one was a little older and seems to have been abused. 3 years later she is finally behaving like a normal dog....mostly.
View attachment 756691View attachment 756692
I read about that recently and it was my understanding that this program was in Washington. And we're in Indiana.

Last edited:
When they don’t want to be alone and you wonder why you have two crates…

Attachments

• 81249E26-1DC1-4716-8EE3-5BEF811C95A2.jpeg
    81249E26-1DC1-4716-8EE3-5BEF811C95A2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
Back