Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just getting our 1 year 10month old Labradoodle used to a wireless pet fence. He is not a fan of the lowest corrective setting, that's for sure.

It's amazing how damn smart these critters are. He knows his different collars and does not challenge the property border with the corrective collar on. Without it, he's doing his own thing, that mostly revolve around trying to fetch deer in the field behind our house.

A day I've been dreading for years, but it has finally come. Sage had what the vet thinks was a pancreatitis attack a month ago, and seemed to get over it. It flared again Friday, and he hadn't eaten or drank anything since Thursday. By yesterday, he couldn't get up on his own, and once you helped him up, his back legs wouldn't work right. This morning, every time he breathed, his body shook. There is a strong suspicion he had cancer, or the pancreatitis was a lot more severe than we had thought.

He's waiting for me at the rainbow bridge now, and I'm sitting at my desk trying not to cry. I've cried more and harder in the last 24 hours than I have in the last 24 years. If y'all would raise a glass tonight to Sage, the smartest, dumbest, most infuriating, and most loyal black lab I've ever known...

Rest in peace, buddy. You were a good boy.

13322133_10154267088734743_5174713349292286560_n-68428.jpg

22273_222198519742_6700425_n-68427.jpg

13254618_10154257564034743_9031207771257225129_n-68426.jpg

I am so sorry for you and your family's loss. My pint tonight will be raised to Sage.

We love them while they're here and cry like babies when we lose them.
We also tear up when others hurt. I'm going out back at work until my eyes dry.

Such a bummer dk. So sorry for your loss. My black lab Hank is only 7mos old and every now and again I get that horrible feeling knowing that someday I'll have to say goodbye.

Time to look back on all the cuddles, laughs, and brewdays shared with your sage. Raising a glass in his memory

Thanks everyone. Its kind of hard to believe how much this has wrecked me - and even more so my family. My dad stopped by my house on Sunday afternoon on his way to Omaha... he never does that. But he kind of knew the inevitable, and wanted to see his buddy one last time. I'm 38 years old, and that was the first time I've ever seen him cry. He called at 11:00 last night (well after he's normally in bed), crying again. I talked to Mom several times yesterday, and she was in tears every time. And she doesn't even like dogs, and was constantly frustrated with Sage (he loved to lick her toes when she had sandals on. He was kind of special....) I'd imagine my nephew is going to take it hard - Sage was 6 months older than him. I don't know if my 4 yr old niece will understand or not.

So sorry for your loss, dk... I’ve got a cat with similar issues (a cancer that had been diagnosed as pancreatitis) and I’m not looking forward to that day at all...

Proud to finally be able to post here. Meet my new pup, Athena. Just over 5 months old now. Photos include her enjoying a car ride, surveillance footage of her escaping her pen, and one of her goofball sleep positions.

22309042_10159434652525113_9091404370354646003_n.jpg

21761432_10159352094470113_8552748671874375502_n.jpg

21728108_10159308669170113_5552595668033242200_n.jpg

And Zeus had the last treatment Wednesday. Just 28 more days of steroids and inactivity.

Still has not gained weight so the Vet told us to go up 10% on the food...puts him at over 6 cups a day. Conversely, my Saint Bernard outweighs him by 5 pounds and gets 3 cups.

Zeus looks like he is going to make with no ill effects other than some minor lung scar tissue. Until he can run and play at will, I will not 100% believe it.

He is FREEEEEEEEEEEE. Pictures to follow. Last night he ran and played and tripped over his own feet at high speed. He was in heaven. Renter said he can't get him inside today at all (it is a gorgeous day).

Another plus, after change his food a few times we found one he is gaining weight on and he is very close to optimal weight.

Vet wants him in for follow-up heartworm test in a month and urine test for excess proteins in his urine but he is basically in the clear.

He is FREEEEEEEEEEEE. Pictures to follow. Last night he ran and played and tripped over his own feet at high speed. He was in heaven. Renter said he can't get him inside today at all (it is a gorgeous day).

Another plus, after change his food a few times we found one he is gaining weight on and he is very close to optimal weight.

Vet wants him in for follow-up heartworm test in a month and urine test for excess proteins in his urine but he is basically in the clear.

Thats awesome! Good to hear!!! :mug:

We make Hank sit and wait for our command at meal time. Which usually induces some serious drooling (most food motivated dog ever). Managed to catch the double drool bubble the other day before breakfast

Double bubble is increduble. :)

Last edited:
Too lazy to find my older posts and well, having a moment.

Zeus is doing well and is mostly confident enough to start relay gentle, all positive reward training (second picture). He gained 12#'s and needs to gain about 8 more. His lungs still have too much inflammation to put him under for having him fixed which confirms he had heartworms almost since birth. Vet still thinks he will be fine.

Ex-wife reminded me today was the anniversary for when we adopted Wally to give him "one good last year" as at age 11 he was already 3 years past the average life span of the breed. He ran my race team with an iron fist and a bottomless stomach for four more years. Every fall we thought it was the last but he would bounce back in in winter. Finally when he started falling over pooping (no man should endure this) it was clear his heart was near its end. That was two years ago and just reviewing all the pictures of him at the races caused me to loose all control and ball like an infant. That cranky old man brought me, and many other, so much joy I can't go through a race weekend without stories of the weird stuff he pulled off.

Attachments

• Wally.jpg
    Wally.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Zeus.jpg
    Zeus.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 104
Too lazy to find my older posts and well, having a moment.

Zeus is doing well and is mostly confident enough to start relay gentle, all positive reward training (second picture). He gained 12#'s and needs to gain about 8 more. His lungs still have too much inflammation to put him under for having him fixed which confirms he had heartworms almost since birth. Vet still thinks he will be fine.

Ex-wife reminded me today was the anniversary for when we adopted Wally to give him "one good last year" as at age 11 he was already 3 years past the average life span of the breed. He ran my race team with an iron fist and a bottomless stomach for four more years. Every fall we thought it was the last but he would bounce back in in winter. Finally when he started falling over pooping (no man should endure this) it was clear his heart was near its end. That was two years ago and just reviewing all the pictures of him at the races caused me to loose all control and ball like an infant. That cranky old man brought me, and many other, so much joy I can't go through a race weekend without stories of the weird stuff he pulled off.

Always great to hear about Zeus making progress. It seems like you have had him for quite a while now. If I recall, he was neglected by someone else in your neighborhood before you took him in, correct?

I know what you mean with the waterworks. It has been over 2 years since we lost Chukes to lung cancer and I still lose it whenever I come across her going through pictures. At the same time, I still haven't had the heart to change my profile pic from her smiling face.

Always great to hear about Zeus making progress. It seems like you have had him for quite a while now. If I recall, he was neglected by someone else in your neighborhood before you took him in, correct?

I know what you mean with the waterworks. It has been over 2 years since we lost Chukes to lung cancer and I still lose it whenever I come across her going through pictures. At the same time, I still haven't had the heart to change my profile pic from her smiling face.
Been stupid busy and not back here since my last post. Zeus has been with me since late June. He just showed up on my property and started playing with my pack through the fence despite being emaciated, filthy and (later found out) heart worm positive.

Went to get him fixed on December 22 and the inflammation on his lungs from the heavy infestation of heartworms is not 100% gone so they delayed until March.

He is a giant cuddle-bunny of a dog at this point. any time I sit or lie down, he is tight up against me. It not me, his pack sister or brother.

Oh, and this will be a shock, he loves to eat snow. Play in snow. Roll in the snow. He is officially part lab because the only large or giant breeds with a short double coat are like the the Great Swiss Mountain dog or a Lab...plus he has exactly the same coat color as a yellow lab.

View attachment 552301
View attachment 552302
10 degrees, she is sitting out waiting for someone to walk by.
No one walked by!
(I call her in after a few minutes, so she doesn’t get cold)
Hope she finds someone soon. This guy needs a new buddy after Jack, our other American Bull, passed. Work in progress. Beer is an HB Gin/lime Gose.
20180105_161829_Film1.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

It’s amazing how a simple dog treat can get them all to stay for a group photo!

Left to right.

Nyla is a Border Collie/Australian Shepherd/Cattle Dog (50/25/25). She will be 15 years old in February and still plays fetch. She’s an amazing dog!

Charlotte is our latest addition late last summer. She is a rescue mutt. The shelter thought she was a lab mix. We think a Ridgeback/Pit mix. We will probably get a DNA test later this year. She is 1.5 years old. She’s all puppy still.

Bella is the small “Snorky-Yorkie”. She’s a Schnauzer and Yorkie mix. She will be 11 years old in March. She thinks she’s just as big as the other two dogs. She even plays fetch like Nyla which always surprises people.

Haven’t posted in a while but thought I would share this recent group with photo of them all.

Back