Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, brotha, tough fekkin year for you, agreed. Personally for me(us) as well. Glad it's 2016. Amazing people believe they 'own' their dogs. Ha! Nothing could be farther from the truth. They grace us with their love and affection, and (if we're paying attention) they teach us a lot about loving unconditionally, and how to enjoy life for what it is.

Preach it from the mountain top Onk!
It does suck when they leave us, but if we are graced with another's love, we are fulfilled even more. You, sir, have my continued respect and admiration for what you do for these wonderful creatures.

Sheesh you guys :(

Thoughts and prayers @Inkleg and @Onkel_Udo

Had dogs and cats growing up but they tended to be pets rather than a part of the family. They sort of just came and went. Now, having a new puppy for a month, reading your posts, I think I'm a little emotional.

Sheesh you guys :(

Thoughts and prayers @Inkleg and @Onkel_Udo

Had dogs and cats growing up but they tended to be pets rather than a part of the family. They sort of just came and went. Now, having a new puppy for a month, reading your posts, I think I'm a little emotional.

haha.....just wait til puppy has you properly trained. Once they are part of the family, you'll bawl like a little kid, might as well accept it now. :D

Wife randomly surprised me tonight and asked how upset I would be with a surprise. After playing 20 questions she in the future wanted to surprise me with another lab puppy:)

I'm torn, I would love another chocolate lab but I remember the puppy phase and the energy labs have and think of how little sleep I get with a toddler and new born and ask myself do I really want to go through the night time potty runs and high energy labs have?

My Saint I can run around with for 20 minutes and he is done and down for the count. I threw a ball for two hours for my lab and she didn't break a sweat lol

As a dad of newborn twins myself with three dogs, you are getting up anyways for the baby. Easier to potty the puppy when you are already up than do the newborn thing, get back to normal, then do the puppy thing in my opinion. Plus, your child can grow up with the puppy. Just watch out for the puppy mills with labs.

I'm not a small dog guy but he's cute, how old?
And I'm sure he's not plotting to kill you:D

4 months, chihuahua+some kind of terrier mix.

He's actually not bad, aside from being a pro at being underfoot at all times. At least he hasn't picked up Yappy Little Dog Syndrome (yet).

4 months, chihuahua+some kind of terrier mix.

He's actually not bad, aside from being a pro at being underfoot at all times. At least he hasn't picked up Yappy Little Dog Syndrome (yet).

I don't mind the little dogs till they turn into this. My parents have a neighbor with a little dog that always barks and goes crazy at me from across the street when I visit. He has gotten brave a couple times and almost entered the yard till I let my saint start walking towards him (Thor just want's to play and would never hurt him). But the 150lb versus 10lb usually has him turning around and heading back home...

We lost Morgan, our 13 year old Maltese a year ago. He was the first real responsibility that my wife and I shared and was with us through three houses, two pregnancies and infants, and lots of life's ups and downs. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454427856.508303.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454427873.075682.jpg

So after a year, we found another pup to join the family. Scout, a male Labradoodle, will be coming home in three weeks and everyone is super excited.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454428219.539710.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454428229.522821.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1454428249.875856.jpg

We lost Morgan, our 13 year old Maltese a year ago. He was the first real responsibility that my wife and I shared and was with us through three houses, two pregnancies and infants, and lots of life's ups and downs. View attachment 334776
View attachment 334777

So after a year, we found another pup to join the family. Scout, a male Labradoodle, will be coming home in three weeks and everyone is super excited.

View attachment 334779
View attachment 334780
View attachment 334781

Cute pup, love the "eyebrows". :)

awww... poor Morgan... did he not have a face? or legs? was he part tribble?

no, he looks like he was a very sweet puppy and I'm sorry for your loss

and Scout is very nice, wish you many happy years together

awww... poor Morgan... did he not have a face? or legs? was he part tribble?

no, he looks like he was a very sweet puppy and I'm sorry for your loss

and Scout is very nice, wish you many happy years together

As a Maltese, yes. Part fluffy sleeping thing, part mop head replacement.

morgan1.jpg

morgan2.jpg

The puppy is driving me insane. Doesn't listen to commands unless you yell; she always thinks you're playing. Constantly begging. Always has something in her mouth. Thought I puppy-proofed the house.. cleaned everything up, put everything away, left out nothing but her toys. She'll still find a slipper here and there to destroy. She found a piece of dowel, that she shredded. Don't even know wtf that came from. Tiring. Love her, and she's so hard to scold.. and can't blame her, just tiring.

The puppy is driving me insane. Doesn't listen to commands unless you yell; she always things you're playing. Constantly begging. Always has something in her mouth. Thought I puppy-proofed the house.. cleaned everything up, put everything away, left out nothing but her toys. She'll still find a slipper here and there to destroy. She found a piece of dowel, that she shredded. Don't even know wtf that came from. Tiring. Love her, and she's so hard to scold.. and can't blame her, just tiring.

Yeah, it's hard unless you catch them in the act, otherwise they don't know what they're in trouble for.

Puppies are fun, but I don't miss that stage now that they're grown.

Puppies are fun, but I don't miss that stage now that they're grown.

It's tough when you get home and only have a few hours to relax and she is just a monster. She got table food once and that was on Thanksgiving because of grandma. She gets carrots/celery as treats. Still begs constantly.

No matter how frustrated I get though, every Saturday morning when I come home hungover.. she just jumps into my lap and sleeps until I'm ready to move. I wouldn't trade that ever.

My pup Sydney will be taking her trip across the rainbow bridge. She's suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis is all her important joints. Walking for her has been excruciating for a week. Refusing to go, refusing to stand while going, refusing to eat unless she's handfed. It's a miserable time for her. She has given our family a great 8 years and it kills me to see her like this.

Though she's in terrible pain, she'll never show it. She shows great spirits. Just trying to get as much time in before her final trip. I love this girl, and she will be greatly missed.

View attachment 1454647378954.jpg

Raise a glass..Had to put two of our family down today.. it's going to be weird not having them around..

So sorry. Our Tovey has only been with us 6weeks and already I can't imagine how we lived without him, never mind losing two. Will raise a pint of oatmeal stout for each of them tonight.

So sorry. Our Tovey has only been with us 6weeks and already I can't imagine how we lived without him, never mind losing two. Will raise a pint of oatmeal stout for each of them tonight.

It's crazy isn't it? We got our first puppy here in November/December. I've already had nightmares of her running into traffic or something equally horrible and wake up a mess. Man. I'm in trouble if I ever have kids.

Three glasses raised for yesterday's news. And CAD, the 'what if' scenarios get worse with kids, but you'll be better prepared after taking care of the dogs.

Sidenote - our pit bull 'permapuppy' got out of her collar on a walk and decided to cross a VERY busy street a couple of weeks ago. Not only did she survive, but her crazy dad (aka, me) blindly chased her through traffic and survived. That was the scariest dog parent moment I have had yet.

T And CAD, the 'what if' scenarios get worse with kids...

By a factor of 10. You don't know a bad dream until it is one that makes you walk into your kid's room, dripping with sweat, and lay down next to their bed for the rest of the night because the dream was just too damn real.

Back