Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deep ones.

20230323_095833.jpg

We had two miniature poodles for 16 and 17 years respectively. It broke our heart when they passed, and I vowed not to get another dog for at least a year. I did not want to go through that heartbreak and pain ever again. 2 months later, my wife announced that she has already picked out our new poodle puppy and was picking her up the next week. When our puppy Halle came home, I realized why it is so painful to lose a dog, because they add so much love, joy and happiness to a family. We have since picked up Halle's sister Hazel (same mother, next litter) and I couldn't be happier.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Hang in there.

we said our goodbyes to our Howdy in November '21 after having him for 11 of his 14 years.

we almost lost him at 5yo, when he hurt his back & had to have surgery. he fully recovered & every single day of the 9 additional years we had him were a gift.*

I've worked from home for 20 years, he was my "co-worker", my constant companion & his absence was torture.

we started foster failing less than 2 weeks after he passed, because the house was just so empty without a beagle in it.

* gifts from our regular vet & her techs & nurses, plus the wonderful vets, techs, nurses & students at the VA/MD College of Veterinary Medicine at Virginia Tech.

PSA: if you can't afford treatment at a vet, check local colleges for vet SCHOOLS. they can do the same treatments for less $. yes, students will be working on your loved ones, but they are under supervision & the experience helps them learn.

Been fostering this little guy for almost two weeks now.
1679608678549.png
He was found wandering someone's farm with two other beagle/bassett mixes. Not really sure exactly what he's been through, but he still seems pretty overwhelmed and kind of intimidated by the big scary guy who feeds him and takes him for long walks on the nearby flood plain. He loves the walks, but hasn't quite figured out that he has to leave the house first. :D

Edit - BTW, his name is Bayou and he is definitely a classic

Last edited:
We were watching my in-laws dog (a goldendoodle, for those keeping track) for most of a week a few weeks ago. Had a good time, except for walking him in lousy weather. Though we all got our step goals that week...
Mrs. JRGTR42 has always been kinda ambivelent towards getting a dog (I've wanted one for ages, and the kiddo does too,) but since the fuzzball went home, she's been looking on the rescue sites for available dogs to adopt...
I'm under no illusions to the work it takes, though I do work from home 4 days a week, so it's not like he/she would be home alone all the time, I think Mrs. would be able to take him/her to her work that 5th day.

We were watching my in-laws dog (a goldendoodle, for those keeping track) for most of a week a few weeks ago. Had a good time, except for walking him in lousy weather. Though we all got our step goals that week...
Mrs. JRGTR42 has always been kinda ambivelent towards getting a dog (I've wanted one for ages, and the kiddo does too,) but since the fuzzball went home, she's been looking on the rescue sites for available dogs to adopt...
I'm under no illusions to the work it takes, though I do work from home 4 days a week, so it's not like he/she would be home alone all the time, I think Mrs. would be able to take him/her to her work that 5th day.
Working from home is a definite plus but in any case a rescue dog will give you endless gratitude for making them part of your family. All of our 4 dogs have been rescues and they have been great.

So an update to my post a couple weeks ago. Yesterday we brought home a rescue pup from the local shelter.
Mixed breed, we’re not really sure what he is - probably some hound, maybe some wire hair terrier, maybe lab, etc. though he does do that pointer leg-up thing when he’s looking at something.
About 6 months old, they say, maybe a bit older.
The kiddo is over the moon.

Attachments

• C42F7A89-E5ED-4277-B689-AF9CD1D7A574.jpeg
    C42F7A89-E5ED-4277-B689-AF9CD1D7A574.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • BB694C6D-E29A-42E1-B3BF-8FD9AAB5CE52.jpeg
    BB694C6D-E29A-42E1-B3BF-8FD9AAB5CE52.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I won't have a dog because they get around 5 good years and then sicken and die. The first year, you have a puppy that poops everywhere and chews on things. Then in year 7, things like arthritis pop up. Soon, you can't jog with your dog because he can't keep up. Then you're going to the vet every month until he dies.

I had a cockatoo for 30 years, and if he hadn't caught an infection, he would still be here, and he would still be young.

Someone needs to breed a 40-year dog.

Been fostering this little guy for almost two weeks now.
View attachment 815850
He was found wandering someone's farm with two other beagle/bassett mixes. Not really sure exactly what he's been through, but he still seems pretty overwhelmed and kind of intimidated by the big scary guy who feeds him and takes him for long walks on the nearby flood plain. He loves the walks, but hasn't quite figured out that he has to leave the house first. :D

Edit - BTW, his name is Bayou and he is definitely a classic

My old dog Lionel was an exact replica of him. Exact coloring and "breed"

Great pooch, miss him every day

I won't have a dog because they get around 5 good years and then sicken and die. The first year, you have a puppy that poops everywhere and chews on things. Then in year 7, things like arthritis pop up. Soon, you can't jog with your dog because he can't keep up. Then you're going to the vet every month until he dies.

I had a cockatoo for 30 years, and if he hadn't caught an infection, he would still be here, and he would still be young.

Someone needs to breed a 40-year dog.
sorry your last dog ownership experience left you so bitter... arthritis by year 7 = VERY breed dependent. my 11 year old NSDTR is going strong with no arthritis.

We've had three English Setters. All were house broken in no time. Probably chewed two pairs of shoes and one furniture leg between them. They lived 12 1/2, 8 1/2 and 11 years respectively, and were happy and active until very close to the end. Some breeds live longer or shorter on average, but obviously there are no guarantees.

Everybody's going to have a different definition of "die so often" and I guess cats live longer for the most part, but the cat my sister had growing up only made it to five. And I hate cats, so there's that.

Last edited:
My old dog Lionel was an exact replica of him. Exact coloring and "breed"

Great pooch, miss him every day
Bayou is a great pooch in many ways, but the little bugger pulled the leash right out of my hand and ran away last week. It was a miracle that we actually found him two days later. And he's no worse for wear. I'm not sure he's ever going to get over the fear of large male humans with deep voices and he's probably always going to be a flight risk, so we're hoping that he gets adopted by some woman with a lot of land and a really good fence.

edit - and in the meantime, from now on he gets two leashes on all walks; one in my hand and one attached to my belt.

I don't know about the sting being brief..but the amount of joy that dogs have given me in my life...often at times when I didn't realize I needed it has been immense. I still get occasional stabs when a memory of my first dog (as an adult vs. kid) hits me really hard and she died over 6 years ago at the age of 16.

This one makes me laugh so often, it is ridiculous. Mind of a 2 y/o puppy in a 10 y/o dog. He had surgery to remove a melanoma a couple of weeks ago, so that was a stark reminder that he is getting up there in age. He lives life to the fullest everyday, so I just try and hang on and enjoy the ride.

IMG_7871.jpeg

This one's 7 now, but still thinks he's a puppy. Generally quite contented with his lot except when birds fly away from him and he can't go after them. Told me on several occasions that it's not so bad being a dog, but he wishes he'd been a dragon. Nanouk.

Attachments

• nanouk.jpg
    nanouk.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 1
Bayou is a great pooch in many ways, but the little bugger pulled the leash right out of my hand and ran away last week. It was a miracle that we actually found him two days later. And he's no worse for wear. I'm not sure he's ever going to get over the fear of large male humans with deep voices and he's probably always going to be a flight risk, so we're hoping that he gets adopted by some woman with a lot of land and a really good fence.

edit - and in the meantime, from now on he gets two leashes on all walks; one in my hand and one attached to my belt.
Photo of my dog Lionel from 2016. He was 10 at the time

Attachments

• 6FB8FA33-972C-4092-9AD7-46B4DF11D876.jpeg
    6FB8FA33-972C-4092-9AD7-46B4DF11D876.jpeg
    347.6 KB · Views: 0
Dogs are fantastic. If I could get 20 good years out of a dog, I would already have one. They exude love. They are self-sacrificing. They are extremely brave. Some of them, anyway.

Parrots, on the other hand, are incredibly underrated. The grey in the last post is much, much smarter than any dog. Greys generally learn to talk, and when they do, they will use words in ways that have meaning, so while they don't really speak English, they can converse with you to a certain extent. They are extremely affectionate. They're unbelievably funny.

They also seem to be able to read minds, or at least mine does. When I laugh, he laughs. When I think I might laugh, he laughs first. This even happens when I'm in another room, which doesn't make sense to me. He can't see me, but somehow he will know I think something is funny, and then he starts laughing.

If you yell at a dog, he will think you're angry. If you scream your lungs out at a grey, he won't pay any attention, because he can tell how you really feel. It's bizarre.

The cockatoo I had was wonderful, but he was too smart and loving to be a pet. He needed constant socializing, and no human being can provide that.

The big problem with parrots is that they can be tamed but not domesticated. They remain wild animals, driven by weird instincts. They have zero desire to obey or please. As soon as they get out of their cages, they look for things to destroy, and many of them can eat wood like it was styrofoam. You can train them to DO things, but training them NOT to do things is just about impossible, because they just don't care.

Get home from dinner out, the unopened 13 lb bag of Gemma Chow had fallen off the washer & there was a Gemma's head sized hole in the bag. Don't know how much she ate, but thought I would feed her 1/2 a cup in case she didn't have any.

When I set the bowl in front of her, she just looked up like "do I have to?"

First time she's ever even hesitated to eat

last night, poor girl had a poop bigger than herself. woke me up at 1:15 to have more poops. & again at 3:40 to eat grass, she waited until we got back inside before she puked.

After that, she was her normal "oh my god Gemma, calm the **** down" lovable self

I'm so sorry for yer loss!

But, OMG, Miles is in the range of uncountable cuteness, and deserves WHATEVER he wants!

Back