Dogfish Head 90 min extract recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codfather

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like some help with the dogfish head 90 minute IPA. My boss wants to have a go at brewing some beer and I said I would help. However Ive only ever done all-grain brewing and im very new at that, ive only done 5 batches.

He has all the ingredients to do the extract 90min IPA. But I would just like some clarification on how to do some parts of it. He has the extract but also about a 1lb or so (not sure on the exact amount of grain). What am I meant to do with them? Do I mash them and then sparge like I would when doing an all-grain batch? If so wouldnt it have been better to get all-grain rather than malt extract?or do I steep them? If I steep them how do I do that?

Do I then just add the wort I get from the grains to the malt extract and then add enough water for the 90 minute boil?

I hope this makes sense. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

The grains are for steeping only, don't go above ~165°F. Steep for 30 minutes. Once that is done bring to a boil, then remove pot from heat (or turn the flame off) and add roughly 1/3 of the extract. Follow hop addition schedule and then add the remaining extract at flamout.

So to steep I need to put them in a muslim bag? Do I just steep in a gallon of water or the full 6-7 gallons I will need for the full 90 minute boil? And by flame out do you mean add the rest off the extract after the 90 minute boil? Im probably sounding pretty stupid at the moment but I just want to get it right.

well I'm not sure how religion plays into what type of bag you use but I generally use a muslin bag for steeping grains. ;)

If you have the means to do a full boil, then do so. Yes, add the rest of the extract once you've finished your boil.

Is it a kit or recipe that you are following? I have always wanted to give dog fish 90 minute a try.

Back