American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh boy!! I had no idea what I was in for and how many things could go wrong during an AG session. All Newbie mistakes ... nothing to do with the recipe. First, I miss the strike temp by about 4 degrees. I am sure it has to do with the program I was using to calculate the water temp. So, had to add about a gallon and a half of boiling water to bring the temp up to 153. Mash temp held really nicely. So at this point I am thinking I won't have to use all the water I heat up for sparge as I added some extra for mashing. Wrong! Not enough to collect 6.2 gallons. So, sparge with 1.2 more gallons. Wort starts to flow again. But does not stop at 6.2 or 6.3 or 7 gallons. At this point I am sweating ... mind you it was 33 degrees outside yesterday.

I guess water was just stuck and me adding more water opened up something. Anyway, I ended up with around 7.6 gallons of water with 1.050 SG at 130F. Quick question here, if anybody cares to answer, should I just have stopped collecting after what I needed or collect it all for all the sugar? Started to boil. Needless to say extra 2 hours wasted to boil off the extra wort to get to 6.2 gallons. Started to throw hops at this point. When got to about 10 minutes left I realize that it is vaporizing too much and I will end up with less than 5 gallons of wort. Started to sweat again!

Finished hopping and I was just below 5 gallons. Did not bother to do anything about it. OG: 1.071. Finally things started to look positive. Aerated and pitched Wyeast 1056 starter. After about half hour in the carboy I realize that there is about 2 inches of trub at the bottom. You gotta be kidding me! Sweat!! I am sure I will lose some more to dry hops. So, hopefully I will end up with 4 gallons of excellent IPA. Note to self: Next time collect 7 gallons and don't let it boil off so much.

More water, less water, more water, less water ... that's pretty much how I would summarize my first AG session. What a learning experience!

It started to ferment in about 3 hours. I hooked up a blow off tube. Today It has about 4 inches of krausen. Looking good.

Here is a picture of the hot little thing. Well, warm. Serously, I guess from very active fermentation it is not going below 68F in my 64F basement.

Thanks a lot to Yooper for the recipe. And other posters to this thread. Looking forward to tasting this beer in about a month or so.

Sounds like a typical brewday to me!

I always just sparge to my boil volume, but it sounds like you did just right by having 7 gallons to start with! Good deal.

I ordered all the ingredients from NB last night. I can't wait to brew this. I will be doing BIAB.

When you did the dry hopping, did you rack to secondary or leave it in primary on the yeast cake and add the hops to that?

Not sure if this was covered yet. But has anyone tried Yoopers recipe with Maris Otter?

Besides me, you mean? :D

It was good, but I really prefer the amber malt over anything else. A note- today I brewed 10 gallons of this. I thought I had amber malt, but I didn't. So I used biscuit malt instead. That's really good, too (I've done it before). In descending order, here is my order of preference: amber malt, biscuit malt, victory malt, aromatic malt, Munich malt (20L), maris otter, home toasted malt.

I've made this beer at least 20 times, probably more, and I'm a big fan of "use what you have", and it'll still be great.

Besides me, you mean? :D

It was good, but I really prefer the amber malt over anything else. A note- today I brewed 10 gallons of this. I thought I had amber malt, but I didn't. So I used biscuit malt instead. That's really good, too (I've done it before). In descending order, here is my order of preference: amber malt, biscuit malt, victory malt, aromatic malt, Munich malt (20L), maris otter, home toasted malt.

I've made this beer at least 20 times, probably more, and I'm a big fan of "use what you have", and it'll still be great.

What about for hops? Have you tried other hops? I have a few opened bags in my freezer that I would like to get rid of but don't want to add them to this just to get rid of them.

I have less than an ounce of each which is why I am reluctant to use them
Target, Willamette and Kent Golding

What about for hops? Have you tried other hops? I have a few opened bags in my freezer that I would like to get rid of but don't want to add them to this just to get rid of them.

I have less than an ounce of each which is why I am reluctant to use them
Target, Willamette and Kent Golding

I am sure you could use them and make a fine beer, but it won't be a "clone" which is what this recipe is intended to be. One of the things that make's DFH beers what they are is the hops. If you want it to taste/smell like theirs, stick with the warrior/amarillo/simcoe. Trust me, it is worth it:D

I had my first DFH 60 last week. Great beer, so I had to try this clone. Brewed it today, substituting Columbus for Warrier. I was all set to brew the Pliny clone (tried one in Oakland last month, oh my, what a beer), but seems like most who have brewed the DFH 60 clone agree that it was close or even better than the original. Thanks to Yooper and all for keeping the interest up on this beer and thread. 10 gal mashed at 152 (AG). OG 1.064. Fermenting with US05. This is my first IPA, and first time dry hopping. Still need to figure that part out, but have 2 to 3 weeks to come up with a plan.
Thanks to all. I will send an update after sampling my first bottle.

Brewed 5 gal full boil on Tuesday.
9 1/2 lbs Amber Liquid Extract
1 lb Crystal 40L

Hops came from Freshops.com
Amarillo, Simcoe, used Zeus in place of Warrior. Smells SOOO good!

Amber LME might give you a pretty different beer, be interesting to see how it comes out. Use enough Simcoe & Amarillo though and I'll drink about anything

Amber LME might give you a pretty different beer, be interesting to see how it comes out. Use enough Simcoe & Amarillo though and I'll drink about anything

Should be between 9.1 - 12.2 SRM. As per Austin Homebrew: "Our amber extract has an EBC rating of approximately 18-24" EBC/1.97 ~ SRM. Yooper's Target was 13.1. I will post results!

Went picked up the ingredients today. sadly my HBS was out of simcoe and warrior so i replaced them with summit and magnum. Which one should i replace the warrior. I'm thinking summit but idk.

To get things straght mash temp 152-154 for an hour and sparge 170 for 10 mins (doing BIAB) any help will be appreciated

what is good to sub the warrior with? I have centennial, magnum, amarillo, citra, sirachi ace, and chinook?

Thanks yoop.. and it was mash at 154 right? This will be my second all grain (21at in total) right behind biermunchers blond. Looking forward to tasting both!

Thanks yoop.. and it was mash at 154 right? This will be my second all grain (21at in total) right behind biermunchers blond. Looking forward to tasting both!

Yes, but I have had problems in the past with some overattenation. You'd be safe to mash at 152-153 if you're still dialing in your system and aren't sure the best mash temp for your system.

Went to. Few store to buy grain, yeast and hops to do this today and grabbed he wrong recipe. I ended up grabbing bee cave IPA recipe. So I hope it comes out ok and I guess I will do this DFH 60min next time.

ForumRunner_20120101_084204.jpg

made this so it would be ready for new years eve. used wlp 041. great recipe i dont think i could go into a store and buy a better beer. thanks yooper

I've made this recipe about 8 times now, the past 2x I subbed Falconers Flight for Simcoe (there's a shortage at my LHBS) and Chinook for Warrior, since I had a pound on hand. While I agree that Magnum would be the cleanest sub for Warrior, I absolutely LOVE the way it's been turning out... Don't Fret over the small stuff, this is a SOLID recipe. a similar AA and clean bittering hop will sub well, With half of the bittering AA coming in at 60 minutes the flavors contributed dwindle. I've even considered subbing Centennial for Warrior, but that might make for an overwhelming citrus blast.

One thing for sure, I would not hesitate to recommend subbing Falconers for Simcoe if you have restricted access to Simcoe as I've been having. I love the added flavor and I may not revert back to the original recipe!

Also, thank you Yooper for a wonderful recipe, it's in my permanent brew-cycle!

Thank you for the "thanks"!

I just racked one 5 gallon batch of this to secondary, over the dryhops. I forgot the whirlfloc, so it's a bit hazy, but I sampled it. It's so good!

I made a 10.5 gallon batch, and used S05 in one ale pail, and S04 in the other. I'm keeping the S05 batch where it is in the ale pail and dryhopping there, and dryhopping the s04 batch in a carboy.

I don't usually even rack for dryhopping, but I need that fermenter!

I fermented at 62 degrees, partly to avoid esters from the S04, but mostly because my house is COLD this time of year!

I'm going to keg this beer on Sunday, I think. The nice thing is I had an OG of 1.058 and a FG of 1.014, so it's a pretty low ABV IPA. Since that's what I want, I'm thrilled with it!

Yooper,
Happy new year!

At what temp would you say the eaters start to develop? Mine is fermenting at 64 .... I hope that won't do any damage.

I am going to brew up an IPA next and have a question for those who have made this. How would you describe the "grapefruit" bite on this beer? I seem to gravitate to those IPA's that have the floral, piney, earthy aroma/flavor but without the bite. My "hop-apititude" isn't good enough yet to know which ones to stay away from. Any suggestions?

I so want to brew this Saturday, but what the heck is packman yeast? Also, my LHBS doesn't have the thomas fawcett amber, anyone have a half pound in Milwaukee? I got cash money :)

Also, what mash temp for the all grain recipe, I must be blind.

Also, I'm confused on the hop schedule... Is this right? At 60min, I'll start using .38 oz warrior little bit until 35min left. At 35min, I mix the amarillo and simcoe together, do I add the remaining warrior as well and start adding till 0min?

Thanks!
justin

I so want to brew this Saturday, but what the heck is packman yeast? Also, my LHBS doesn't have the thomas fawcett amber, anyone have a half pound in Milwaukee? I got cash money :)

Also, what mash temp for the all grain recipe, I must be blind.

Also, I'm confused on the hop schedule... Is this right? At 60min, I'll start using .38 oz warrior little bit until 35min left. At 35min, I mix the amarillo and simcoe together, do I add the remaining warrior as well and start adding till 0min?

Thanks!
justin

I don't think you can buy pacman any longer. I used Wyeast 1056 (American Ale). Worked fine. Ended up at 1.011.

I used Crisp Amber malt. I just racked it to secondary today. Looks, tastes, and smells perfect. I think any amber would do -- but I am no expert.

153 F for Mash temp.

At 35 min, you should use up all warrior (all .75 oz of it). At that point throw little Simcoe+Amarillo at a time until flame out -- throw some at flame out.

HBrew71 said:
I don't think you can buy pacman any longer. I used Wyeast 1056 (American Ale).

You can still buy it as far as I know. I believe you can't buy all year round. There are certain times of the year when they release it. AHB will have some tomorrow.

My LHBS doesn't sell Wyeast so I had to get White Labs. He recommended the WL041 so I went with that. It attenuates a little more than the WL002 and has a little fruity note. I figured I would give it a try.

I think I'm going to go with the 10 to 1 ratio for my starter. 2000ml of water to 200 grams of extra light DME. Mr Malty says I should use two vials and 1 liter. The best buy dates is 4/2/12 so that means it was packaged on 12/2/11 which is probably why mr malty says 2 vials. I figure 1 vial with a 2L starter and yeast nutrients should be good, right?

Yooper, do you ever let it ferment for 2 weeks and then dry hop in the serving keg? Hoping to brew this tomorrow and have it ready for the superbowl. Thanks.

Bill

Yooper, do you ever let it ferment for 2 weeks and then dry hop in the serving keg? Hoping to brew this tomorrow and have it ready for the superbowl. Thanks.

Bill

Yes, often! But it takes longer for dryhopping to have great flavor and aroma at colder temperatures. If I was pressed, I'd make it tomorrow and let sit in primary for 10-12 days and then dryhop for 5-7 days and then keg.

What's interesting is that I made a 10 gallon batch of this on 12/20. I pitched S05 in five gallons and S04 in the other five gallons. The S04 was clear and ready for dryhopping in a week, while the S05 still had krausen. I kegged the S04 today, and I just dryhopped the other fermenter (with S05).

If you use a "clean" well attenuating yeast, it'll be done fermenting in less than a week and if you use a flocculant yeast, it will be clear by then also. Then it can be dryhopped for 3-7 days and kegged from there.

I just finished brewing at my buddy's house. Preboil gravity came in a lot lower but the original gravity after the boil only came in 5 points lower. I did BIAB so I'm happy with that. I don't know my boil off rate exactly so I guessed at how much water I should use which is probably why my gravity was so off.

I think everything went well. I was able to keep my mash temp at 154 for the most part. It started off high but I add some ice to cool it to 154. It started going down towards 150 but I heated it up back to 154.

My starter seemed to be ok. I pitched it in around 63* and now it is sitting in my basement right around 63*. My basement temp is about 58 to 60 so it should ferment right around 65 which is ok with me.

I'm hoping this comes out good. My last two batches haven't been great. One seemed to be oxidized and the one I have now seems to have an apple taste which I am guessing is from too high fermentation temp. The only thing I am worried about for this one is the DME I used for the starter. It wasn't that old but I kept it in the original bag with only a chip clip holding it.

UPDATE: Looks like fermentation took off. My fermometer is right around 60* right now and should go up a few more degrees.

Well, after 14 days I finally reached FG.
Just finished racking to secondary on a bed of Simcoe and Amarillo.
I too used amber malt, and I am loving the flavor even at this point.

Going to bottle this batch instead of kegging, hopefully Saturday.

I made this as my first all grain batch a week or so before xmas. Just poured my first pint from the keg and wow, I am thoroughly impressed! Thanks for the recipe. It is a great clone and tastes incredible. I subbed zeus for warrior since my lhbs didn't have any warrior.

One thing I would do differently if I gave this a go again is up preboil wort volume a half gallon or so. With my setup I ended up losing more volume from boiloff and also a bit from all the dryhopping, but this can be attributed to my doings. Thanks again for the great recipe!

Latest posts

Back