American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Pacman (see note)
Yeast Starter
Absolutely
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 at 63 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 at 63 degrees
13 Pounds 2-row (US)
6 ounces Thomas Fawcett amber malt.

.75 Warrior hops 16.4% AA (60 minutes) SEE NOTES ON HOPPING!
.50 Amarillo Gold 8.5% (35 minutes)
.50 Simcoe 12% (30 minutes)
.50 Simcoe 12% Dry hop
1.00 Amarillo Gold Dry hop
Irish Moss ( 1 tsp with 15 minutes left in the boil)

Continuous hopping! Add 1/2 the warrior at 60 minutes and then add a little at a time until 35 minutes. AT 35 minutes, mix the amarillo and simcoe together and add a little at a time until you are at 0. Try to time the additions so that you end up with a few hops still at 0 minutes.

Pacman yeast used- took the f.g. to 1.010!

Hops were added as continous- first warrior only for the first 25 minutes just a few pellets at a time, then remainder all mixed together and continuosly added, starting at 35 minutes.
Beer turned out fantastic!
View attachment dfhextract.bsm

View attachment dfhagrecipes.bsm

__________________________________________________________________________________________'
Extract recipe:

DFH clone

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.5 gal
Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
Estimated Color: 13.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 49.8 IBU

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.5 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 90.83 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 9.17 %

1.25 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.7 IBU
(Read notes!)

1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (35 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] (30 min) Hops 13.1 IBU
(Read notes!

1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops

Notes:

Pacman yeast used, but any clean well attenuating yeast can be used. Try WLP001, Nottingham, or 1056 if pacman is not available.

Hops were added as continuous first warrior for the first 25 minutes ( approximately half at 60 minutes, then a little bit at a time until 35 minutes was left in the boil). Then the rest of the hops were mixed together, and added continuously at 35 minutes.

You can use dry malt extract instead of the liquid if you=d like- use 8 pounds of DME instead.

Directions:

Steep the crystal in a grain bag in 2.5 gallons of water at 150-155 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove the grains, and discard them. Bring that Atea@ to a boil. When it is boiling, remove it from the heat (take it OFF the burner!) And stir in the LME. Put it back on the burner, and bring it to a boil. When it is boiling, add approximately half of the warrior hops you have. Set the timer for 60 minutes. After that, continue adding a pellet or two or five, every minute or so, until there is 35 minutes left on your timer. Try to time it so you are out of warrior pellets at 35 minutes left. Mix the rest of the hops together in a bowl. When you have 35 minutes left, start adding those hops just a few at a time, trying to end with the last of them when your timer hits 0 and you turn the flame off. Chill the wort rapidly, add to your fermenter, and top up to 5 gallons with cool water. Check the temperature to ensure it is around 70 degrees, and pitch a neutral yeast like American ale yeast (1056), or dry yeast like nottingham or safale s05. Ferment until completely done, and then allow to rest. Two weeks is pretty good. Then, rack to a clean 5 gallon carboy and dry hop with the dryhopping hops. You can either just put them into the fermenter and rack onto them, or use a hops bag if you=d like. Just don=t pack them tightly, you want the beer to be in contact with the hops. Use two or three bags if you need them. After about a week, you can rack to a bottling bucket avoiding the hops chunks, and bottle. Prime as usual, with approx. 3.5- 4 ounces priming sugar for 5 gallons of beer. You may have less than 5 gallons, due to the hops sucking up some of the beer, that=s why 3.5-4 ounces is a good bet.

Can you still get Pacman yeast..??

I know rogue uses it exclusively but I thought for public it was limited time only.

not sure if wyeast is still selling this (I think it was only til new years.) but I have had good luck with either Wyeast 1172 or White Labs 041 for any recipe that calls for pacman.

I'm ordering the ingredients for a 15 gallon version of this one.

The Brew 365 recipe calls for 6 oz of English amber malt, and Yooper's calls for 6 oz of Marris Otter. I've got some Carapils and Crystal 60 on hand. Do you think it'd be out of line to use about a 60/40 mix of Carapils and Crystal 60 instead of the amber malt? I know I'll be adding a touch more unfermentable sugar to the mix, but it doesn't seem terribly significant.

Per the Brew 365 webpage, the amber malt is "just to add a bit of interest." Seems to me that a little crystal would accomplish about the same thing.

Thoughts?

EDIT:

Talked to Yooper in chat. She was so happy with her recipe, that she was hesitant to recommend any change. She did, however, agree that since it's such a small portion of the grain bill, my suggestion might work just fine. I'm going to give it a shot. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Here's my variation. I used Tettnang instead of the Palisade and Glacier in the Brew 365 recipe since both varieties stem from Tettnang. This will be my first "steam powered" mash, so the mash steps are more involved than really required. I figure all those rests can't hurt since I want a dry finish, and I want to exercise my steam rig.

39 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
1 lbs Carapils
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L

0.50 oz Amarillo Gold (First Wort Hop)
2.25 oz Warrior - Continuous Add - 60-35
1.00 oz Simcoe Continuous Add - 35-25
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold - Continous Add 25-0
1.50 oz Tettnang - Continuous Add 25-0
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold - Dry Hop
1.50 oz Simcoe - Dry Hop
1.50 oz Tettnang - Dry Hop

1 Pkgs Rogue PacMan Yeast (BIG starter)

Mash In: Add 60 qt of water at 90 F
Maltose Rest: Heat to 145 F over 20 min, rest 30 min
Saccharification: Heat to 155 F over 2 min, rest 60 min
Mash Out: Heat to 170 F over 2 min

Est Original Gravity: 1.073
Est Final Gravity: 1.014
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.8 %
Bitterness: 53.0 IBU
Est Color: 6.5 SRM

EDIT: I'm SO disappointed. Apparently my PacMan smack pack was in a cold part of the fridge and froze. I tried making a starter with it, and it's dead. Instead, I'll be using some White Labs WLP002 English Ale yeast that I harvested a few months ago.

I think this one's gonna turn out REALLY well. It's just about down to pitching temp now.

Check out my continuous hopping technique:

4688-continuoushopping.JPG

Dogfish Head ain't got nothin' on me!

EDIT:
SWEET! 80% Efficiency!!!

Update: this recipe is AWESOME!!!

I just compared a hydrometer sample against a freshly poured DFH 60 that I was able to bring back from a trip to the east coast, and it was a dead ringer for color and aroma. Unfortunately, I got way better efficiency and attenuation than I expected, so the flavor of my brew has a slight alcohol twinge (which is surprisingly slight, considering it's over 8%!!!). I can't wait to keg, carbonate, and serve it!!!

Wow- that sounds really good! Mine was 7.8% ABV, but it didn't seem like it. I made it again yesterday- not so good efficiency combined with making 5.5 gallons gave me an og of 1.061- which really might be ok for this beer, anyway. I wish I would have thought to FWH with amarillo- that would have been awesome!

Here's a comparison pic. A poured bottle of DFH 60 is on the right, and mine's on the left - still just a touch cloudy, but it's begun clearing nicely since being chilled over a week ago. Dare I say that, tasted side by side, the DFH actually tastes malty?! The first time I had DFH 60, I swore it was pure hop syrup. I have a completely different perspective now. I think I've outdone a commercial brewery at their own game!!!

4688-dfhcomparison.JPG

It's a beautiful thing. I've yet to brew an IPA but I'm on the cusp. Thanks to both of you for the recipe(s).

Yuri, do you think the 002 yeast gave you a bit maltier profile (being a lower attenuating yeast)?

BierMuncher said:
Yuri, do you think the 002 yeast gave you a bit maltier profile (being a lower attenuating yeast)?
Not at all. It attenuated REALLY WELL! It's doubtful, but perhaps the PacMan wasn't completely dead after all.

I wouldn't hesitate at all to use WLP002 in most beers that require a clean flavor profile from the yeast. I've had great success with it.

Yuri_Rage said:
Here's a comparison pic. A poured bottle of DFH 60 is on the right, and mine's on the left - still just a touch cloudy, but it's begun clearing nicely since being chilled over a week ago. Dare I say that, tasted side by side, the DFH actually tastes malty?! The first time I had DFH 60, I swore it was pure hop syrup. I have a completely different perspective now. I think I've outdone a commercial brewery at their own game!!!

4688-dfhcomparison.JPG
Wow, amazing. The only difference I detect is the clarity.

Great job both of you for refining this for the rest of us!

I will have to try this one in the near future.:mug:

Yuri_Rage said:
Check out my continuous hopping technique:

4688-continuoushopping.JPG

Dogfish Head ain't got nothin' on me!

Yuri, I'm disappointed...where's the real-time IBU monitor controlling the automated hop conveyor ;)

Beer sounds awesome. Yet another one I have to put on the never-ending list of things to brew...

I am making this beer this weekend, using 3oz biscuit and 30oz crystal 40L instead of the 6oz amber.

So, mash at 153F with 1.25 quarts/lb? What have others been succesful with?

Thanks!

Yooper Chick--this is two in a row for me copying your recipes, FatTire now this

Ha- I'm going to start charging you a copyright fee! No, you're changing them and making them your own which is really cool.

I mashed at 154 the first time, I think, and it attenuated way too well (using pacman yeast). I usually mash at 1.25 quarts/pound. The second time, I missed my target temp and mashed at 152. Usually nottingham yeast, it got down to 1.006! This beer probably tastes best with a higher fg, so next time I'll try a less attenuative yeast and mash higher. I'd think a fg of 1.012-1.016 would be best.

Let us know how this works out!

Finally got around to making this beer last week. Took a sample today so I thought I would report. OG was 1.069 and I am currently at 1.017. That might go down a few more points, I used WLP001 and that (75%) is right in the middle of its range. I did a single infusion at 153F, I think that was just right, thanks.

Tastes good, I can't wait to get this bottled. The color unfortunately is way to light. I should have added a darker crystal, oh well. I will post back in a couple weeks when it is bottled.

Great recipe Yooper!

Tasted my first one that has been bottled for a week. Great taste, great aroma. I haven't had a DFH in a while (couple months), but from what I can remeber this is even better.

Thanks!:mug:

I finally got around to buying a 6 pack of this and doing a side by side. Mine has much better aroma, I think the hop flavor stands out a little more. The DFH has more malt flavor than mine and a thicker mouth feel, I think a higher mash temp would fix that but I am not complaining. I think I like mine better and it is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Here is a picture:
DFH60.jpg

When I was looking at this thread before and saw Yuri's picture I thought mine was way off. Turns out his just looks dark compared to mine.

Yuri_Rage said:

oh i'm definitely going to make this...i'm a huge dogfish head fan and now that i'm in canada on the other side of the continent i can't get it! thanks!

Thanks for the pictures. This is probably my favorite recipe. I've made it several times, and I've been mashing higher to try to keep it a little maltier and less attenuative.

Thanks for the feedback, too!

can i use the same recipe with 9.9 lbs of LME? I wanted to stick with the conversion, but didn't want to waste any precious extract! Also, what can i substitute maris otter with if my LHBS doesnt have it?

thanks

stinkiestbink said:
can i use the same recipe with 9.9 lbs of LME? I wanted to stick with the conversion, but didn't want to waste any precious extract! Also, what can i substitute maris otter with if my LHBS doesnt have it?

thanks

some amber malt extract should work.

When I did the conversion to extract for someone, I came up with this:

8 pounds 8 ounces DME
1 pound crystal 40L

For an og of 1.075. I would use the crystal and just skip the amber malt. For LME, I think 9.9 pounds would be about right.

I'm not sure about the hopping, though, if you're doing a partial boil. If you are boiling less than 5 gallons, let me run it through Beersmith for you (unless you have your own software).

stinkiestbink said:
i am going to use a 3 gallon boil. .....i'm still a rookie. thank you very much!

I just saw this- I hope it's not too late to give you the info!

For a 3 gallon boil, the hops should be changed like this:

1 ounce warrior (instead of .75)
.75 ounce simcoe
.75 ounce amarillo gold

Dryhopping should be the same!

I brewed this last weekend. Hit 1.073 for my OG, but I realized, as I was sleeping that night, that I forgot the irish moss (again) and I used a full pound of marris otter rather than the amount called for. DOH.

If anyone has the time, i'd love it if someone would convert this to Extract with steeping grains for me. This sounds delicious, and i love DFH 60's anyway.

Yooper (or anyone),
Can anyone covert this over to partial mash? After the holidays I will be able to do all grain brews but I wanted to get this one going asap!!
Thanks in advance!

I currently have a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler with a false bottom but I only have a 5 gallon kettle. I am getting a 10 gallon kettle from the wife.
I really want to get to all grain.......the wait is killing me!

Back