Does Your Boss Know You Homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, to be honest, I don't know if this was aready said, but I would probably agree with your recruitor until you are hired, then work a few weeks to show that you're a great employee, and share the news. It's all about timing, everyone has their vices and "naughty side", if you want to call it that. When I hire people, I'm usually looking for the most straight and narrow person I can fill the position with. I know that I'll typically find out some other unusual thing about the person later. That doesn't mean they're a bad employee, but the ones that present themselves well from the get-go are usually the ones that get hired. Good luck!

My boss knows I homebrew and is rather intrigued by it. I also found out that one of my fellow coworkers is also an avid homebrewer as well. (Well a couple of them)

Working in IT is the ****.
-Me

Ok, to be honest, I don't know if this was aready said, but I would probably agree with your recruitor until you are hired, then work a few weeks to show that you're a great employee, and share the news. It's all about timing, everyone has their vices and "naughty side", if you want to call it that. When I hire people, I'm usually looking for the most straight and narrow person I can fill the position with. I know that I'll typically find out some other unusual thing about the person later. That doesn't mean they're a bad employee, but the ones that present themselves well from the get-go are usually the ones that get hired. Good luck!

You have to present yourself in the best light. You don't know how they will judge you. I believe the interviewer will form an opinion very quickly, so one needs to be prepared to say the right things. Something to make you stand out in a good way.

Pretty much common sense.

My boss knows and loves it when I bring beer in for him. Personally, if someone asked about my hobbies on a job interview, I would say that I homebrew beer. Maybe it's because I'm in a field that generally has mostly enlightened people and they'd be likely to be just fine with it, but there's a good chance your boss will find out anyway, and I wouldn't like to be working in an environment where my superior looked down upon me because of something that I love to do.

Does Your Boss Know You Home brew?

I'm out looking for a new job and a recruiter told me that when it comes to hobbies not to mention this one.

They were thinking of teetotalers who would not understand.

I agree to some point, at least before getting the job.

Therefore I like to golf, fish and garden. (Grow Hops: :D)

I would like to hear you thoughts on this, and have you been in this situation.

Thanks!!!

I dont think it's something that a current boss would have a problem with, but I wouldn't bring it up to a prospective employer. Get the job, then talk about homebrewing

You have to present yourself in the best light. You don't know how they will judge you. I believe the interviewer will form an opinion very quickly, so one needs to be prepared to say the right things. Something to make you stand out in a good way.

Pretty much common sense.

Yes, but at the same time, being comfortable in the interview goes very far as well. Don't be worried about having to say the right thing, just don't tell them the obvious "bad" things.

The closest thing I have to a supervisor/boss (my primary instructor who I am assigned to) does know I homebrew. I think he even got a mr. beer kit for christmas. However, he didn't hire me, and I probably wouldn't mention it in an interview. When I filled out my rental application I didn't list it under hobbies, however I did show my landlord one day when he was over and I sent him away with a six-pack.

We definately live in a country and culture that does not appreciate our hobby. No matter how much I talk about brewing at work (yah, my boss knows) people still get that confused smile when I convince them to come over and try a "real beer" and they take the first sip. It's like they don't believe that beer can be made outside of a can line in a factory. My passion for brewing is fueled by history. Brewing and beer has been such a staple of many of our ancestors, but now it is pretty much a product that's produced much like peanut butter.

I share your passion Revvy, but we don't get 99 out of 100 jobs when we talk about our passion as a hobby in an interview. Maybe in a faith-based field, but not in most of the others out there. Definately not worth the risk here in MI right now if you're out of work.

I quit answering those hobby questions on applications once I got enough work experience to fill out the form without using that sort of filler.

Lots of people I work with, bosses included, know I brew. I've met others who do and one who does now since drinking some of mine. Our company news letter even ran a story of an employee at one of our plants who won an award for his home brew.

And that no alcohol on company grounds policy? It's wink wink on that when a new batch is ready.

I share your passion Revvy, but we don't get 99 out of 100 jobs when we talk about our passion as a hobby in an interview. Maybe in a faith-based field, but not in most of the others out there. Definately not worth the risk here in MI right now if you're out of work.

A) If you've read my bio on here I'm not currently working in a "Faith based field..I have a normal job right now...

B) Don't you think a "faith based field it" would be POTENTIALLY MORE MORALISTIC than a "normal" Job? You obviously have no idea the intense scrutinary a minister is under, whether or not he comes from a liberal bent or not...there are still people who try to paint you into a box...or a prison...

I'm sorry but I mainitain that if it's a direct question to gauge me wanting to know what I am passionate about, then I ain't hiding it, (first off becaaus I ain't going to be able to) and because there is nothing to be ashamed of...it is a noble, legal and currently somewhat in vogue (at least beer culture) hobby.

All I am saying is by even discussing it this way, you guys are contributing to stigmafying it..Instead of being an ambassador of it if the question arises....You're the ones who sound like you are ashamed of it.

You don't think an interviewer, if he/she suddenly decides that a question about your hobby wouldn't pick up on a knee jerk bit of hidden shame while you scrambled to find some hobby you may be less passionated about to cover up what you really want to say???

"Uh...I dunno....I guess I like to fish."

Any way, we all approach our lives differently...I decided 14 years ago as I was about to swallow a bullet that I wasn't going to hide my light under a barrel, wasn't going to be something other than myself any more...

BTW, it occurred to me that in my 20+ years in "civiliian" work, including working in Television, Radio, Retail and Academics....I've never been ASKED about my hobbies or interests outside of "work." My interviews were always about "We don't care about your personal life, can you do the job?"

All of my bosses know since I post Brewouts and festivals on the bulletin board. But if asked in an interview, I'd pass on the questions and most likely the job. Hobbies and outside interests are no longer considered a factor when hiring and should not be touched on in an interview. Questions such as those have gone the way of religion and political position, with minor exceptions. I've been giving interviews since the later '70s and have had to attend seminars on new and improved interviewing methods.

My boss knows, but I don't bring it up too much. During downtime
at work I read brewing books and check HBT.COM

I talk about it with people, but since it draws a lot of questions I
try not to become the "beer" guy at work.

Does he know? Hell, he homebrews too. Or at least he used to for awhile.

My boss has been to my Oktoberfest. :D

:rockin: I got my co-worker into homebrewing, and a Director in another department into homebrewing.

The VP of my department (IT) asks me all the time when he can get samples. He wants to start brewing, just hasn't yet.

We had an Oktoberfest party this year where I was allowed to custom build a 2-tower BevAir unit and was able to order 6 kick ass beers :)

My boss comes over to the house every few months to sample what's on tap, and he's even brewed a few extract batches himself.

I hate this part of interviewing. I don't think interviewers should ask questions about your time away from work. Of course, that may have something to do with the fact that I have no "socailly redeeming" hobbies. Observe:

Interviewer: So, what do you like to do in your spare time?
Me: Well, I play World of Warcraft, brew beer, drink with my friends, and write an atheist-centric blog.... Sir? Sir, are you okay? JESUS CHRIST, SOMEONE CALL 911!!!

I live in Wisconsin where you can't trust people who don't drink. I told my whole firm at my orientation as an example of something interesting about me. Guess how many people remembered me? :D

I donate a few six packs every Christmas for our holiday charity raffle, and I am pushing to brew a Firm beer that we can keep in our fridge for client meetings.

I once had a boss tell me that he didn't trust anyone who doesn't drink

Depending on the position you are interviewing for I don't think it's a negative as long as you don't come off looking like a drunk.

I'm in sales and the ability to drink and hang with clients who can pound them is a requirement
Most of the bosses I have had are all drinkers to some extent.

With that said if you're interviewing to be a kindergarden teacher you may not want to bring it up

We have 4 different shifts that cover two rotations of 12 hour shifts. I am bringing my boss a home brew tonight. The other rotation has a buddy of mine that brews and his boss told him not to go into the home brew shop while at work, but by all means bring him a home brew. I think he should then tell the ladies at work that they can not go into a Victorias secret.
It is stupid. The brew shop does not sell beer, just supplies.
We wear a uniform and are in public service, but that is wrong.

I once had a boss tell me that he didn't trust anyone who doesn't drink

Depending on the position you are interviewing for I don't think it's a negative as long as you don't come off looking like a drunk.

I'm in sales and the ability to drink and hang with clients who can pound them is a requirement
Most of the bosses I have had are all drinkers to some extent.

With that said if you're interviewing to be a kindergarden teacher you may not want to bring it up

I'm going for an Engineering/Project Scheduling Position. I'd most likely be working with mfg'rs, builders & some customers.

I would not bring it up until I know the people. There are some people who are religiously conservative here in IA. (Baptist) Its not worth risking a job opportunity for a stupid misunderstanding. I'm out of work and I have a newborn, and a mortgage to pay.

BTW - I have promised myself a kegerator kit once I get a new job!!:rockin:

My boss knows and is just happy drinking his natural light..................now his 2nd in command has been telling me to bring him some brews, but he says he dosent like dark beers cuz they are too stout. I could bring him my schwarz beir but I do not fell like educating anyone right now.

BTW - I have promised myself a kegerator kit once I get a new job!!:rockin:

here's to wishing you good luck :mug:

My boss knows and thinks it's great - his son is a brewer for a local craftbrewery where they live. Too bad they live 2000 miles away...the son anyway- not so bad that the boss is 2000 miles away;)

Jesus should know better than that:D

I always thought THIS was his fave commercial beer...

26006.jpg

I've been grabbing a few in my mixed sixers lately, it's pretty good...

But here's HIS Homebrew...

jesus_beer.jpg

Waving over a little water and wham...instant lager!

;)

My boss knows and enjoys English Beers. First time I went on a trip with him he got me tanked. we had a $150 bar tab that he expensed, and told me me I do not have such powers. I think he did not like it the next day however when he had to step out of the airport terminal to visit the bushed Ralph Style while I waited for him. But he is a heck of a drinker. Always doing gvt projects with our laser in our area for his local bar that he frequents.
I've brought beers to a few co-workers, Apfelwein to another. All is good.

But I wouldn't have mentioned it in the interview if I was doing it at that point.

I always thought THIS was his fave commercial beer...

26006.jpg

I've been grabbing a few in my mixed sixers lately, it's pretty good...

But here's HIS Homebrew...

jesus_beer.jpg

Waving over a little water and wham...instant lager!

;)

ROFL I am so glad I just got off the phone with a client before seeing this

My boss knows and enjoys English Beers. First time I went on a trip with him he got me tanked. we had a $150 bar tab that he expensed, and told me me I do not have such powers. I think he did not like it the next day however when he had to step out of the airport terminal to visit the bushed Ralph Style while I waited for him. But he is a heck of a drinker. Always doing gvt projects with our laser in our area for his local bar that he frequents.
I've brought beers to a few co-workers, Apfelwein to another. All is good.

But I wouldn't have mentioned it in the interview if I was doing it at that point.

I went to China for work last year taking care of a big supplier problem. I had been there for about 4 weeks when another employee showed up with me in the hotel lobby. I worked with the guy for 4 days and on the 5th day after dinner I asked if he was up for a beer.

He's like hell farkin yes! I drank with the guy for about an hour before asking his title. He was the brand general manager! (I'm like oops.... mentally cringing) He & I closed down the bar two nights in a row.

He & I were particularly amused at the number of prostitutes at the hotel bar. We played pool & foozball with them most of the night. No bedroom golf though...

The incident was cool. I think he felt he needed to take care of me because I was their "Fixer" The supplier was making garbage.

They were in Jeopardy of Loosing a Lowes contract worth millions.

My boss and my bosses boss know and on occasion I bring in some beer for people around office, I am in a management position so they let me get away with more, However I would not mention it during an interview.
When I interview people I did not care if they brewed beer or... as long as it doesn't interfere with work, however there are some who care about this hobby and not in a good way)

Mine does and I kinda wish they didn't.

Just because I drink, enjoy and subsequently make my own beer, in their eyes they think i'm an alcoholic. Weird prudes anyway, the whole lot of 'em. :(

My boss (who doesn't drink) knows I brew and I don't hide that. It isn't on my resume though and I wouldn't put it there. I'm not limiting my employment options over my hobbies and the only light of mine they need to see shine is my commitment to my responsibilities. Once I am in I will gauge whether to bring them in on what I do outside the office. Some people do not like alcohol and I see no reason to make a big deal of it at work - especially in an interview... If it IS important enough to you to limit your work options based on that then go for it - I personally could stop brewing if it helps feed my family.

OMG - I just got a call from a Local Brewery!

They invited me to interview at their brewery after seeing my resume.

I guess I could tell them I'm a Home Brewer!!!!!! :rockin:

I applied thinking its one in a million shot. Hopefully they need a controls engineer!!!

OMG - I just got a call from a Local Brewery!

They invited me to interview at their brewery after seeing my resume.

I guess I could tell them I'm a Home Brewer!!!!!! :rockin:

I applied thinking its one in a million shot. Hopefully they need a controls engineer!!!

Awesome! Congrats!

I recently told my now boss during an interview that I was a homebrewer. He asked what my hobbies were and I told him. He was cool with it and we talked about our favorite beers. I got the job so it worked. I've been there a few months now and bring him beer occasionally.

No effing way duuude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's awesome....yeah, I'd fess up to being a homebrewer if I was you.;)

I THINK, at least...most you you would agree with me on this one..

Good luck, my friend....:mug:

Back