Does this look infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yugga

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I brewed an American Amber O.G. 1.053. I fermented with rehydrated US-05. Fermentation went as expected, krausen subsided but then these milky bubbles started to appear. They look the colour of yeast. I've never had this happen before, do you think it's infected?

20160308_092442.jpg

Oddly enough it doesn't smell bad and as of last week it tasted fine (for new beer). I'm wondering if it's a dumper or if I should cold crash, keg and consume? Any ideas what kind of infection it is?

Since Kegging, you should be able to add something in to kill the yeast and other nasties. Then cold crash and fine as usual. If it tastes ok then you should be ok.

Looks like krausen to me...maybe it stalled & started up again? doesn't look like an infection at all. Look at the infected thread for pics on what one really looks like...

Looks like krausen to me...maybe it stalled & started up again? doesn't look like an infection at all. Look at the infected thread for pics on what one really looks like...

I was gonna say that too. I dont think it looks infected. Looks to me like co2 bubbles escaping and forming bubbles.

Not sure - I would sanitize a spoon and knock down those bubbles and then dry hop it like crazy

Not sure - I would sanitize a spoon and knock down those bubbles and then dry hop it like crazy

What? Why?

It doesn't look like an infection to me either, but whether or not it's infected now, the only thing knocking the bubbles down with a spoon would do is risk a different infection.

To the OP - take a gravity reading now and then in another week. Or just let it sit for a while longer and see if it starts looking more like an infection.

Back