does irish moss effect gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moger777

Reaction score
I just did an extract kit from my lhbs that I've done before. This time around the only thing I changed was using Irish Moss. The measured OG was lower than it was the last time I did the kit. It's supposed to be at 1.042, this time around it was 1.035. I already accounted for temperature. I'm guessing since alot of the protein settled to the bottom the OG might be different.

No, it won't impact your OG at all.

Was this a partial boil with top up water added afterwards? If so, make sure you mix the water in thoroughly before taking your sample.

BlindLemonLars said:

Was this a partial boil with top up water added afterwards? If so, make sure you mix the water in thoroughly before taking your sample.

d'oh, did not even think of that. Thats exactly what I did.

BlindLemonLars said:

If you top off your fermenter to the correct volume, normally 5 gallons, your OG should always be just about spot on.
I did this very thing with a wine kit. I checked the gravity and was worried because it was way low. I called my LHBS where I purchased the kit and they asked me if I stirred it throughly. After I shook it up real good it was perfect.

Latest posts

Back