Does everyone else do this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

experiment626

Reaction score
I'm new but wanted to share.

WHen i first started labeling, i used the "wet the back" label paper that was at my LHBS. But for the last couple i bought 8.5"x11" Full size label paper (uncut) and had prints done by the laser printer at officemax for .85 / sheet. They come out really well and you can usually get 4-6 labels on a page! The best part is that the whole back is pre labeled so you just cut, peal and apply to bottle.

I didn't know if this was popular here on the forum but wanted to let people know.

only downside is that the sheets are 10 bucks for 25. kinda pricey!

I don't label my bottles anymore, but when I did I just used the "wet the back" paper. The size that I made them I was able to get 9 on a single 8.5x11 sheet.

$.40 a sheet does seem a bit steep.

I recently lableled some wine bottles.
I printed them on regular laserjet/copy paper, after cutting them out, I smeared a glue stick on the back and stuck them on the bottles.
They seemed to hold OK, and that glue should be pretty water soluble for removal later.

joebou4860 said:
when i bottle, i use regular paper and apply using milk as a glue

Hmmm .. using milk as glue. I did a quick google and found a number of recipes that mix vinegar, milk, and baking soda of sorts ... is this what you do? I'll have to try your trick. Beer is gone too quickly to invest in fancy dancy label printing machines...

Awesome! And to think SWMBO was going to go out and spend $200 on labeling crap for my birthday. Instead, I can buy that sanyo and start another unfinished project.

I too use the Avery circle dots to label my caps.

$0.69 for 330 labels, color-coded, and then I write the date and a code to identify the brew.

Might go to Office Despotism sometime to get some more colors though, all I have right now are Red, Yellow and DARK Blue.

Where are you finding colored caps?! I've been scouring all over, and haven't found anything that can be ordered in lots of less than 10,000!

chriso said:
Where are you finding colored caps?! I've been scouring all over, and haven't found anything that can be ordered in lots of less than 10,000!

My lhbs has them in packs of 100 (not positive on count) so far I have used blue, silver, green, blue w/white stripes can't remember what other colors they have.

this milk idea has to be tried for labels. for bottle caps - i just have plain gold ones that i write on with a sharpie!

I found some circular labels at Staples that have an MS Word template so I can print them on my inkjet printer. My handwriting isn't so good, and it was a pain to write on them little labels.

I only bottle wine, but I use a heavy stock paper printed with a laser printer, sprayed with hairspray and applied with a glue stick. The labels comes off fairly easy, but can withstand being chilled in ice.

Yeah....I am going to remove the label from the same bottle twice. Yeah...that's the ticket! And I am a chinese jet pilot.

I use ink and stamps on my caps. A local Art and craft store carries thousands of stamps. They are dirt cheap.

They also carry water proof ink pads in 10 different colors.

A picture stamp is cool if it is the right size and fits the style, but I also got an alphabet that I can use to put a single letter or three or four(ex. "AG IPA") on the cap.

cheezydemon said:
Yeah....I am going to remove the label from the same bottle twice. Yeah...that's the ticket!

To be fair, if you use the 1" circles like a couple of us use, you throw the label away with the cap when you pry it off, so the bottle still remains clean and ready. I only put "real" labels on gift bottles for friends/family. I don't label my personal stash, just "dot" them.

Those stamps are a good idea, though, I hadn't heard of "permanent"-type ink pads. Cool beans, time to go to the craft store!

joebou4860 said:
It doesn't smell at all? How do they stick when chilled in the fridge? I would imagine that putting them in a cooler with ice would be out of the question. This sounds great though. I like to label the bottles I give away, but those frequently come back, and the Avery labels I have been using for the past decade are sometimes harder to get off than the originals.
Thanks once again to HBT for making slap my forehead and say "why didn't I think of that years ago!"

Wow! It totally works. And once it's on, it looks a lot smoother than the labels I stuck on with glue.

Thanks guys. This place rules :ban:

i just did this and it looks awesome. i'll report back regards cleaning, but it's only held on with milk, water and/or oxyclean will get 'em off.

joebou4860 said:

are we talkin whole or skim milk? or does it matter? I was thinking milk + flour = paste. Anyone ever try that?

Dextersmom said:
are we talkin whole or skim milk? or does it matter? I was thinking milk + flour = paste. Anyone ever try that?
I don't think the type of milk matters. And I don't think you'd need to add flour to the milk; the thing that impresses me about just using milk on its own is that it makes the label look very very smooth indeed (and also does a great job of keeping the label stuck). Glue can sometimes go a bit gloopy, which stops the label from going on completely smooth.

sounds good...i just suggested flour because when i was a young tike my babysitter and i would make glue out of milk and flour.

i'm excited to try milk.

I use the 3/4" round avery labels - there's a free template on the avery site that will fit the name and brew/bottle dates easily. Stick 'em on the cap and voila - easy ID and removal for re-use.

+1 for the round 'dots' on the caps. We now have 6 colors of them and have reserved different colors for different styles.

Back