Does bottle carbonating have the same temperature advantage as fermenting under pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EstebanPro86

Reaction score
When fermenting under pressure, you can ferment at hotter temps while suppressing esters and other off flavors. Does the same work for bottle conditioning?

For instance, If I ferment with S-04 at 68 F in a temp controlled chamber, and then I let it bottle condition at 85F (even though the upper range listed for S-04 is 77F), will that be OK since it is under pressure? Or will I get some off flavors?

Unless someone really knows for sure, I'd just experiment with a couple bottles from this batch and let them get that hot and keep the rest more around room temp if you can. Then you'll know for next time.

My guess is between the very small amount of fermentation that is occurring, and the pressure, you are probably ok in terms of off flavors from the conditioning itself, but there may be other reasons to not store them that hot if you can avoid it.

I agree- it's not enough pressure to consider it pressure fermenting (and you only add about .002 anyway, so the amount of fermentation is minimal).

Higher temperatures are detrimental however. Staling reactions are much faster, and beer ages faster at warmer temperatures. Oxidation reactions are faster at warmer temperatures. The reason that wines and beers are cellared for aging is to slow down those reactions.

Even though the ambient temp is 85F it seems the bottles are 77F. I’m hoping I’m in the clear.

Thanks guys

Back