Fermentation under pressure ideal temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokerloict

Reaction score
Hi,

Normally I ferment in my kegerator and the temperature of the kegerator (not the beer) is 62.5 However, I cant use it for my next brews and plan to ferment at room temperature 70 - 72. I know that under pressure fermentation produce less off-flavor, but do 70-72 (room, not beer) is too high? I only brew black and brown beer, sometime belgian white.

Thank

I have been fermenting under pressure for a number of years now and I believe you can express your yeast differently depending on your mash, goals and your knowledge of the yeast you are using. Things that influence the end results for me are, simple sugar percentages in the wort, temperature at pitch, pressure at pitch and free rise temperatures.

Simple sugars ferment first and can influence early ester production.

Temperature at pitch can suppress the launch of an ale yeast and can reduce how expressive it will be.

Natively built pressure can make a difference from artificially applied pressure from the beginning.

The three factors above influence how I drive the ferment and the results.

For an English ale I would mash 152-4°F single infusion, not sweat any mash temp drop during conversion, pitch at 62°F and allow to build pressure natively to 12 psi after high kräusen. Trying to stay under 74°F.

For a lager I would mash for fermentability, pitch at 58°F and if temperature increases are expected to be slow let it build pressure natively to 15 psi, if they will be fast start at 5 psi early and increase to 15 at high kräusen. Trying to stay under 70°F.

The above 2 examples are super generic but based on experience with my favorite yeasts, how they behave differently and how they ultimately affect flavor profile.

These are a just few things to weigh out in your head before you start based on what you can and can't control with the environment and its affect on the end result.

I recommend knowing your yeast, tasting it throughout the ferment and make your own decisions. You will eventually learn when you reach the profile you want and when you can apply pressure with your particular yeast.

can't really comment from the lack of details in the OP.

"black" and "brown" beers? Black lager or a stout? Vienna lager or brown ale?

Back