Does bitter beer mellow with age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o4_srt

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm in the middle of fermenting my first batch of beer (Imperial Pale Ale kit), and just removed some for a sg reading (1.040 after 2.5 days). I know this style is supposed to be rather bitter and hoppy, but I tasted a bit of the brewing beer, and it was EXTREMELY bitter. Will that mellow out over the coming weeks?

Don't touch it for about 3-4 weeks, then check your gravity, have a taste, and package it. After 2.5 days there will still be a lot of hop matter floating around.

well considering your still fermenting you beer is WAY green and its imposable to determine what the finished beer will taste like at this point. let it finish fermenting, bottle, and wait a month. then taste it and see if its more to your liking.

+1 on giving it at least 3 weeks in the fermenter. Also, once it's carbed you'll be surprised how much that evens things out.

i was planning on transferring to a secondary after about a week, or the sg evens out, and letting that sit for another 2 weeks before bottling.

sounds like i'm on the right path, just a little green as far as the whole process and what to expect when.

Thanks!

leave the brew in the primary till the SG evens out. its up to you wether or not you rack to a secondary after that. i personally don't do this, but there is nothing wrong with racking to a secondary.

It will definitely mellow out, my first AG was an APA that due to horrible efficiency turned out way bitter. Bit over a month in the bottle and I can't get enough of it.

I highly recommend leaving it in primary for at least two weeks. The yeast will clean up after themselves and you'll get a cleaner tasting beer. Secondary is not really needed, but its up to you.

Back