Does barb size on shank matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titleist

Reaction score
Just a quick one, does the barb size on the back of the shank matter between 3/16 and 1/4 when your line is 3/16 and the barb on the keg is 3/16?

Question is more about foaming possibility... although once it hits the nipple the size increases anyway, just didn't wanna create a foaming problem by hitting a 1/4 barb on the nipple.... that and I'd rather go 3/16 at shank and keg just to make hooking up the bev line a bit easier.

It's actually better to go 1/4" barbs with 3/16 line so that there is no restriction points. It's how I set mine up, and works great.
Use a coffee cup of water heated in the microwave to dip the ends of the tubing and they'll slide right on.

3/16 barbs restrict bev tube 3/16?

I'm now thinking of just using mfl everywhere including the shanks. My only reasoning for switching all the barbs to 3/16 was to ease bev tube install.

How about 1/4 mfl swivels everywhere and 3/16 bev line? No foam and no restrict? Then it's a question of oetiker size for 1/4 barb inside 3/16 bev line

3/16 barbs restrict bev tube 3/16?

Yes. The ID of the barb is smaller than that of the tubing.

I'm now thinking of just using mfl everywhere including the shanks. My only reasoning for switching all the barbs to 3/16 was to ease bev tube install.

Unless you're using glass-lined barrier tubing it's easy to slide 3/16" ID tubing over 1/4" barbs. I use a heat gun to warm the ends up and they go right on, but a hair dryer or bowl of hot water would work as well.

For Bev-Seal Ultra 235, I'd punt and use the Guest push-to-connect fittings.

How about 1/4 mfl swivels everywhere and 3/16 bev line? No foam and no restrict? Then it's a question of oetiker size for 1/4 barb inside 3/16 bev line

I'm a big fan of using swivels everywhere, beer and gas. It makes installation and maintenance easier, imo. I use 1/4" swivels for beer with 3/16" ID Bevlex tubing, and 5/16" swivels for gas with 1/4" ID braided clear Kuri Tec tubing...

Cheers!

For Bev-Seal Ultra 235, I'd punt and use the Guest push-to-connect fittings.

I'm a big fan of using swivels everywhere, beer and gas. It makes installation and maintenance easier, imo. I use 1/4" swivels for beer with 3/16" ID Bevlex tubing, and 5/16" swivels for gas with 1/4" ID braided clear Kuri Tec tubing...

I'm just setting up with the Ultra 235 3/16ID and having trouble getting it onto my 1/4 barb haha. What are these push-to-connect fittings and swivels you are talking about? Do they have a name?
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back