Does a HERM's brewin system have a microprocessor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will_rouse

Reaction score
I'm a college student in the instrumentation program(Automation and controls). Also I'm an all grain brewer. We have a project to do to build with a microprocessor and I was planning on starting a Ebrew set up anyway so why not knock out two birds with one stone. Does anyone know any helpful sites or links?

Also for right now it's just a paper due but eventually it will be a working model. So I've got a while to build it so I won't have to drop all the cash at once.

They are both thank you. Also on another note I can see differences in RIMs and HERMs but what are the different advantages in them?

They are both thank you. Also on another note I can see differences in RIMs and HERMs but what are the different advantages in them?

There are some price/build/componet differences for sure, but in the end for me, it came down to 2 different way to skin a cat...

personal Pref, Ilike the way the HEX looks in the kettle...yup..that is how i decided.

Tim

RIMS heats up a very small amount of wort at a time, but since it's heating up only a small amount of wort, that small amount gets heated up fast. RIMS also has the wort in direct contact with the heating element.

HERMS uses an indirect method of heating up the wort. Water is normally directly heated up in the HLT, and then a metal coil of pipe is placed in that water, and then the wort is recirculated through the inside of that coil.

It's up to debate on whether each method has any distinct advantages or disadvantages over the other one. Lots of anecdotal evidence but no solid conclusions.

Personally, I'm favoring the HERMS method over the RIMS. It looks to me like the HERMS method gives you less of a chance to scorch your wort, but it's typically more expensive of a setup.

Also I just ran across the HABs and that's an amazing system he has going on there.

Back