Do you get a lemon aroma from dry-hopping with Amarillo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kraftwerk

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed an IPA with Maris Otter base malt, hopped copiously with Centennial and Amarillo, and dry-hopped with 2oz Amarillo. Prior to dry-hopping, the beer was amazingly rich with a mild citrus character and kind of soft sweetness that I attribute to Centennial (my fav hop). After 7 days sitting on only Amarillo hops, the flavor has changed to something with a kind of lemon zing that I was not expecting at all. This is my first time using Amarillo, does anyone get that lemon thing I'm talking about?

Here's the recipe, perhaps my best brew to date:

CentenniAmarilloBomb

7 gal pre-boil, 5.55 gallon post, 60 min
Mash: Single infusion @ 149, batch sparge
O.G. 1.065. F.G. 1.012
77 IBU

Grain Bill
10 lb Maris Otter
1.75 2-Row
0.5 lb Carapils
0.5 lb C20
0.1 lb Honey Malt

Yeast
WLP 001 California Ale

Hops
.75 oz Columbus @ 60
.5 oz Centennial @ 10
.5 oz Amarillo @ 10
.75 oz Centennial @ 5
.75 oz Amarillo @ 5
.75 oz Centennial @ 1
.75 oz Amarillo @ 1
2 oz Amarillo (dry hop)

Others
1 Whrifloc tablet

I never got lemon from Amarillo. But give your beer time to condition and I'd bet you will be pleased when everything comes together.

I just kegged an amarillo pale ale, with maris otter, some crystal 90 and 100% amarillo. Dry hopped with one ounce amarillo.

Poured my wife a glass, and she asked if I put lemon/lemon peel in it. I think it turned out VERY citrusy, almost a little to much so for December.

I have a Pale that I used two ounces of Amarillo at FO and dry hopped with another two ounces for one week (all pellets, fwiw). I actually just poured a glass and I'm not getting any lemon. Indeed, I don't associate Amarillo with lemon...

Cheers!

I ususally get the sharp citrus notes from the Centennial, and the sweet citrus from Amarillo hops.

I've always assocaited that 'soft sweetness' to the Amarillo....

Aging usually does mellow everything out, and allow the flavors to blend and support each other.. Sounds like a good beer though! :D
--LexusChris

Back