Do you add Nutrient/Energize when bottle carbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukebuz

Reaction score
OK, making some Apple sparkling wine; primed it at 1.5oz gallon of sugar and dumped an active starter of Premier Cuvee, and bottled it.
However, it doesn't appear to be carbing up - my PET test bottles are showing no progress :(

Does one usually add nutrient/energizer when dosing the bottles?
Should I dump into a bucket, and add the nutrient?
How long should it take before I start to see progress?

It depends on the ABV of the wine. If it's already at the alcohol tolerance of the yeast strain, it won't carb up.

If it's near the tolerance, it might but may be very slow.

If it's a low ABV wine, then it should have carbed up pretty quickly, depending on temperature. If you're sure the PET bottles' caps seal well, then I'd look at the possible ABV issue.

I wouldn't add any nutrient or energizer to the bottle, if any spoilage organisms are present, they can use this nutrient and energizer to multiply and grow stronger.

Pumpkinman is right. You want the finished wine to be a nutrient desert. I won't add nutrient beyond the first half of alcoholic fermentation if there isn't a hydrogen sulfide issue.

Back