Do I need to soak equipment in OxiClean overnight?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigEasy43

Reaction score
Does equipment need to be soaked in OxiClean overnight or can I just leave it for an hour or two and wipe it down?? Also do I need to use it after every batch or can I wash down the equipment with hot water and use Oxiclean every 2nd or 3rd time?? I know things need to be clean, just seeing if I need to use it all the time. No biggie if I do.

I use it every time. Usually just fill the kettle or bucket and dump everything in so it soaks for at least an hour then rinse and let it air dry. Sometimes I'm lazy and leave it over night or for a few days. Never had an issue.

I don't leave soft plastics, like hoses, for that long though. I take those out within an hour and rinse.

No need to scrub or wipe. Oxyclean is awesome.

No. Hot water and oxi with a good shake for kegs if freshly emptied, good rinse and sanitize works every time. I do disassemble the posts every batch and run a brush down the dip tubes and soak the posts for a few minutes before rinsing. Brush on glass carboys, but never soak unless it's plastic because you don't want to scratch it with a brush or cloth. For kettles, hot water rinse and sponge to get to goo off and oxi/pbw twice a year unless the bottom is showing a good protein layer or sponge won't get it mostly clean. I have a plastic igloo round 10 gallon tun. I've never cleaned it with detergent, only rinsed with water. It's 12 years old and going strong.

Back