Do I need to reduce the flavor of hops or bitterness for Kveik ale to be drunk in 2 weeks or so?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garlicbread

Reaction score
Hello,

I want to brew my first beer with Kveik and try it out with 1-week fermentation, and 1-week bottle conditioning. (Maybe 10 days of each at most)

My concern is when I tried green beer from Safale US 05 after 2 weeks of fermentation, it was still too bitter and too hoppy compared to what it tasted like after 2 more weeks of bottle conditioning.
I know Kveik ferments really fast, but does this translate to how soon the Hops tastes are processed? Or should I add fewer hops and bitterness than I would use with regular yeast?

Here is an example recipe for reference. Still working out the details.
for 5 galons/20 liters
5.3 pounds/ 4.8 kg of Pale Ale Malt
0.4 pounds/0.2 kg of Melnoiden Malt
0.8 pounds/0.4kg of Dextrine Malt
32 Ibu worth of hops at 60 min boil
5~10g of flavor hops at 0 min boil

And beer smith gives me approx. 1.062 OG, IBU 32, ABV 6.6%
(I picked IBU based on that OG to IBU Chart for balanced taste, might reduce slightly towards malt forward)

I’d use the 0 min hops as dry hop to get more floral notes to play off the boss which may have a citrus flavor at higher temps.

Last one I did fermented in 36 hours so 1 week in primary gives it plenty of time to clean up.

My concern is when I tried green beer from Safale US 05 after 2 weeks of fermentation, it was still too bitter and too hoppy compared to what it tasted like after 2 more weeks of bottle conditioning.
I know Kveik ferments really fast, but does this translate to how soon the Hops tastes are processed? Or should I add fewer hops and bitterness than I would use with regular yeast?

Green beer is green beer...as has been past down from generation to generation of brewer time is our best friend...beer is naturally going to get better with time.

This doesn't mean that one green beer won't be better then another. I can tell you from my two experiences with Kveik yeast they both were better 2-4 weeks in the keg than were after one week.

I want to brew my first beer with Kveik and try it out with 1-week fermentation, and 1-week bottle conditioning. (Maybe 10 days of each at most)

That is a pretty lightly hopped beer. I would not be too concerned about adding much time for the hops to "condition", but maybe I am just more used to making hoppier beers. What strain? Voss? If you can keep Voss hot (in the 85F to 95F range, 29C to 35C) it will finish up fermentation in a few days, so 5 days to bottle is likely. If cooler, then maybe the full week. I popped a couple bottles fermented with Lutra at 1 week and they were nicely carbonated and tasted fine. I am not sure that Kveik actually bottle conditions much faster than other yeast. I have heard mixed info on this and only have the one data point myself.

What style are you shooting for? I rarely go more than 20-25 IBU at 60 for most of my beer, even the maltier ones. I'd skip the Dextrine too, if you really want to use the Melanoidin. I'd also advise against Kviek for your first ever homebrew. US-05 will make you a nice beer with that grain bill within 2-3 weeks. Much better than Kviek. Are you in a time crunch to brew?

Thanks!
That is a pretty lightly hopped beer. I would not be too concerned about adding much time for the hops to "condition", but maybe I am just more used to making hoppier beers. What strain? Voss? If you can keep Voss hot (in the 85F to 95F range, 29C to 35C) it will finish up fermentation in a few days, so 5 days to bottle is likely. If cooler, then maybe the full week. I popped a couple bottles fermented with Lutra at 1 week and they were nicely carbonated and tasted fine. I am not sure that Kveik actually bottle conditions much faster than other yeast. I have heard mixed info on this and only have the one data point myself.
Yes, Lallemand LalBrew Voss – Kveik Ale Dry Yeast (Can't transport liquid to my locations right now). I will try to keep it in the hotter range of 30+.
What style are you shooting for? I rarely go more than 20-25 IBU at 60 for most of my beer, even the maltier ones. I'd skip the Dextrine too, if you really want to use the Melanoidin. I'd also advise against Kviek for your first ever homebrew. US-05 will make you a nice beer with that grain bill within 2-3 weeks. Much better than Kviek. Are you in a time crunch to brew?
I have brewed with US-05 3 times, first two came out great, the last one I somehow managed to overcool and got really nice tasting "Apple cider champagne" taste out of it :D Got lucky there.

This time it is too hot and I don't yet have temperature control, so I opted for Kveik. I'll switch to other yeasts in October, when it's cooler. Trying to "brew with the seasons" until I get a better setup.

For style, I want a slightly stronger ABV towards the malty side with some hop aroma still showing through. This one is to drink with friends on camping, and we can't take a lot with us so thus higher ABV.

I brewed Amber Ale, Rye Beer, and Hefe but with ale yeast type of thing, so I wanted to try something simpler too. Using Dextrine & Melanoidin to make it a bit more interesting than a plain pale ale.

I'm also brewing the same recipe with one batch of Pale ale and one batch of Pilsen. To compare the two base malts and see how they differ.

Thanks!

Yes, Lallemand LalBrew Voss – Kveik Ale Dry Yeast (Can't transport liquid to my locations right now). I will try to keep it in the hotter range of 30+.

I have brewed with US-05 3 times, first two came out great, the last one I somehow managed to overcool and got really nice tasting "Apple cider champagne" taste out of it :D Got lucky there.

This time it is too hot and I don't yet have temperature control, so I opted for Kveik. I'll switch to other yeasts in October, when it's cooler. Trying to "brew with the seasons" until I get a better setup.

For style, I want a slightly stronger ABV towards the malty side with some hop aroma still showing through. This one is to drink with friends on camping, and we can't take a lot with us so thus higher ABV.

I brewed Amber Ale, Rye Beer, and Hefe but with ale yeast type of thing, so I wanted to try something simpler too. Using Dextrine & Melanoidin to make it a bit more interesting than a plain pale ale.

I'm also brewing the same recipe with one batch of Pale ale and one batch of Pilsen. To compare the two base malts and see how they differ.
Ok, well the reason I ask style, is it's hard to determine the outcome if you don't know what you're aiming for. Are you going for an amber ale? Amber IPA? That would help determine recipe and IBU.

Sure, my goal this time was to brew a simple balanced beer where I could taste the difference between Pale malt and Pilsen.
So I brewed two 2.5-gallon batches. One based on Pilsen, one based on Pale Ale Malt. Honestly, I'm not sure what style this beer falls into.
I added Melanoidin and Dextrin to hopefully give the beer a bit of depth, compared to a pure base malt brew while still keeping it simple. Not sure if the additional malts I picked were a good choice for this, but hopefully I'm not far off.

Hops IBU I based on this chart.
1658956482002.png

I brewed them today, and oh boy. Kveik had 2cm foam in just 4 hours.
Based on tasting the wort before moving it to the fermenter, the pale malt was better. More flavorful and interesting. I'm very curious if this will change when the beer is ready.

Back