Do I need to pitch another pack of yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

italynstallyn44

Reaction score
I brewed a simple pilsner yesterday and pitched a pack of Wyeast American Lager around Noon. I didn't make a starter so I was going to pitch the yeast and let it start fermentation at 68 degrees then transfer to the fridge for colder temps. I spilled a little bit of the yeast, not much, when pouring into the carboy. Well its almost 2 PM today and no activity yet. Should I wait it out some more or pitch another packet? I'm a bit worried about the small bit I spilled.

should still be fine. you can add yeast if you want. (since technically you should have made a starter anyway with liquid yeast). but it should still ferment if you don't. give it up to 72 hours to take off. even then sometimes you don't really see the fermentation happening. take a gravity reading and see if its dropped.

Being that it is a lager yeast how long should I keep it at ~68 degrees? Should I transfer it to the fridge before I see any airlock activity or should I leave it until I see some activity then transfer?

Back