No yeast activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shooey852002

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Made a pilsner beer lme,dme,pitched white labs wlp800 lager yeast @60 degrees it's been 36hrs and no action. I aerated and keep stiring.i added some yeast energizer. Temp is at62 ,maybe let it warm up a bit

Define action, airlock? Or what are you fermenting in? Lager yeast typically will take longer and also ferment slower at proper temps. I would wait another day before considering making any changes.

I'm using a 8 gallon fermentation bucket,with an airlock.i did not make a yeast starter my fault.today is day 3 with no action.thinking on using pilsner dry yeast to get it started

I would let it ride a whole two weeks. You could have a leak in your bucket seal or airlock. Let it go for a week more and take a gravity reading.

I forgot the exact quote and I will definitely butcher it, but I read on hear long ago that stays with me today "homebrewer's are the only people who stress and worry if an organism is doing its job. A job that it is it's sole responsibility on the earth to do. It doesn't know how to do anything else".

I'm using a 8 gallon fermentation bucket,with an airlock.i did not make a yeast starter my fault.today is day 3 with no action.thinking on using pilsner dry yeast to get it started
There's a simple non-invasive test you can do to see if you have an air leak. It's best done with an 'S' type airlock. Place something with a bit of weight (a pound or two) on the lid of the fermenter so the water level moves. Leave it there for a couple minutes. If the water level evens out again, you have an air leak. Alternatively, you can push the lid so the airlock bubbles a few times, then let go. If the water finds level again and doesn't move from level, you have an air leak.

The two places I have seen leaks are in the lid seal and the airlock bung. I have found the airlock bung the most common. Not from the grommet itself, but from the airlock. Feel around the airlock stem. Sometimes the seam is big enough to cause an air leak. Just scrape the seam down so it's smooth.

How old was the pack of yeast?

If you hold a flashlight directly against the bucket, you can look on the other side and see if there's evidence of krausen on top of the beer or if the line between beer and headspace is sharp (meaning no krausen formed).

I recently made a Czech Pils with WLP800...2 liter starter. Most of my lagers are fermenting within 12 hours and finished within 6 days, this yeast is very slow to start and took almost 3 weeks to ferment. Granted I was fermenting at 50F not 60 and did bump it up a few degrees every 3 days. However, did you only pitch 1 pack of yeast? You may have underpitched depending on your OG.

Latest posts

Back