Do I Need Teflon Tape for my Brew Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eljefe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to brew my first all grain batch this weekend. To that end, I have upgraded all of my equipment including a 10 gal. Polarware brew kettle. I purchased the one with the ball valve which arrived unattached. I also purchased a barb attachment for the other end.

I am not sure if I need to do anything other than screw them together before using. Should I use teflon tape/plumbers tape on both ends of the ball valve before attaching? Will the heat of the boil cause problems if I use the tape? When it comes to home repair, I am absolutely useless, so I need help.

Thank you for any advice that you can provide. Ideally, I start tomorrow (SWMBO out of town) and brew 3 - 4 batches over the weekend.

Thank you for the response. I have plenty left over from the DIY Cooler MLT, I was just concerned that the heat from the boil would cause problems. I am wrapping up the BK as I type this. Thanks again.

Thank you for the response. I have plenty left over from the DIY Cooler MLT, I was just concerned that the heat from the boil would cause problems. I am wrapping up the BK as I type this. Thanks again.

Teflon melts somewhere over 500°F, depending on the formulation. It won't be affected by the boil.

I highly recommend you use teflon.

Some of those ball valves are not threaded properly which will ruin your pot, especially if you don't use teflon. It happened to me.

Teflon tape is to homebrewing as anti-seize is to working on a car. I still can't get over how cheap both products are compared to their incredible usefulness.

"It's gold Jerry, gold I tell ya."

Yes. I got the same pot about 2 months ago. I attached the valve as tightly as possible and it still leaked. So I contacted Northern Brewer where I purchased it from. They told me to use Teflon tape, which I did. It works fine and no leaks! (at least not so far).

Back