Do I need a controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnwpowell

Reaction score
I’m looking to switch to electric brewing and want to convert my kettle over.

Can’t I just get a 5500watt element and monitor temps myself and turn off when I hit it? That’s what I do now with propane.

Why do I need the SS Brewtech controller?

The issue with your idea is that you have only two speeds: full on, and off. That means you have a full-on rolling crazy-mad boil, or nothing.

I brewed today; most of the time during the boil I was at 29 percent power. A controller allows you to fine tune that.

You can do the Stilldragon controller, which is the low end, or go higher. I bought and built the Auber Instruments BiAB panel kit. Happy with it.

That's it on the right:

bothpanels.jpg

The issue with your idea is that you have only two speeds: full on, and off. That means you have a full-on rolling crazy-mad boil, or nothing.

I brewed today; most of the time during the boil I was at 29 percent power. A controller allows you to fine tune that.

You can do the Stilldragon controller, which is the low end, or go higher. I bought and built the Auber Instruments BiAB panel kit. Happy with it.

That's it on the right:

View attachment 612028

Thanks! I didn’t even think about the ability to adjust the temps!

yes a pid lets you dial in and hold a specific temp.(or use it in manual power percentage mode for boil intensity).. you can technically do that with a stilldragon too but it operates more like a burner control on a stove..

Back