Do I even want a wort chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim_anchower

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a novice brewer, but very much the gadget and equipment guy. (I've got a nasty habit of overspending on my hobbies...) I was bummed that my LHBS closed before I could get there on the eve of my third boil, as everything I've read indicates this is a valuable piece of kit that will really speed things along for me, reduce the chance of contamination, etc. I ran the boil without it and did what's become my typical technique...an ice water bath in a huge rubbermaid container, putting a half gallon of refrigerated bottled water in the bottom of my primary bucket, sloshing in the cooled wort, pitching, then topping off to ~5 gal from the hose attached to the sink, which flows pretty violently and I think does a good job aerating.

I just searched the topic and read about people needing to pre-chill faucet water because it runs too hot in the summer, others asking about cleaning and maintaining chillers, etc... Is a wort chiller even worth the price of admission? I've been boiling 4 gallons in a 6.5 gal stainless kettle, and cooling this to pitching temp in 25-30 mins with my ice water bath...i put dumbbells on top of the kettle to keep it from floating and my wife uses the water from the bath to water the tomatoes...

Like all newbs, paranoia over contamination has had me searching this forum like a mad man, and I've mellowed out as I've learned how difficult it is to contaminate if you are sanitizing properly, etc... Another argument in favor of going without a wort chiller?

I love using the chiller. I thought the ice bath was a huge pain. It took a TON of ice. Cleaning the chiller can be a bit of a pain, but it beats the ice bath IMO.

Actually, I've read that you can just drop the chiller in star san for a few minutes to clean it. I've never used star san, but just ordered some. If its just a matter of dipping it in the solution for 5 minutes then my only gripe is gone.

Its pretty essential if you are doing full boils where you need to cool off 5+ gallons of wort. If you are doing extract brewing with partial boils (say 3 gallons), its not nearly as necessary. Your method (ice bath and cold top off water) works fine, in my experience.

Cheers!

I love my wort chiller, it has really helped this summer.

BTW, love the user name.

Wort chillers rock, but you can do without them maybe more than some other gadgets. 25-30 mins is plenty fast enough for chilling time, so if the ice bath isn't to much of a hassle, just stick with that. Personally, I hate buying bags of ice on brew day, so I opt for the chiller every time.
I'm not sure about topping off your fermenter with tap water, though. I've read that tap water isn't bacteria-free, and you are adding it at a time when your wort is the most vulnerable to infection. Maybe substitute bottled water or boiled and cooled water instead.

Do not buy an immersion chiller. They are very easy to make on your own for about half the price. Check the DIY section of these forums for advice. Also Bobby M (BobbyfromNJ on Youtube) has a how to video posted on Youtube.

I've never used an ice bath so i can't compare but the chiller isn't that hard to keep clean. I just rinse when I'm done and soak in Star San before I brew. Not to sanitize, just to get the oxidation off before it hits the wort.

I say get it now. If you spend a lot on hobbies, like I do, you'll be doing all grain in no time. This means full boils. Your method of cooling down is great for a partial boil. When you have 5.75 gallons of 200+ degree wort with no ability to top up....your ice bath will be painfully slow.

As for cleaning...mine sits in the oxyclean in the brew kettle for a bit (along with a lot of other stuff), then sits in the star san in it for a bit. Put it in your wort with 15 mins to go, that pretty much kills anything you missed.

I consider my $50 chiller and $50 refractometer the best investments I made as I continue to accumulate toys.

I use a counterflow chiller, have since I started about 10 (10-12) gallon batches ago.

If I didn't use a chiller, I would use the nochill method and utilize a 6 gallon barrel from us plastics.

I pump my wort through my wort chiller, so it chills my 12 gallon batches down to pitching temp (or below) as soon as I can drain boil kettle (15-20 mins), I don't think I could ever use an immersion chiller.

I built my CFC for ~$50 and have the hose and tubing to build another

I use a counterflow chiller, have since I started about 10 (10-12) gallon batches ago.

If I didn't use a chiller, I would use the nochill method and utilize a 6 gallon barrel from us plastics.

I pump my wort through my wort chiller, so it chills my 12 gallon batches down to pitching temp (or below) as soon as I can drain boil kettle (15-20 mins), I don't think I could ever use an immersion chiller.

I built my CFC for ~$50 and have the hose and tubing to build another

How long is yours?

I was thinking of buying this one from AHB, but I'm trying to figure out if it would chill the wort in one pass, because doing more than one seems like a pita.

Its pretty essential if you are doing full boils where you need to cool off 5+ gallons of wort. If you are doing extract brewing with partial boils (say 3 gallons), its not nearly as necessary. Your method (ice bath and cold top off water) works fine, in my experience.

Cheers!

Yeah, what he said!

I live in a small broom closet with a window and thus have been limited to partial boils (10L and less). So far I have been able to keep the wort at acceptable temps with an ice bath, transferring to primary, and topping off with water I've keep chilled in the fridge for a few days prior. w00t.

20-25min is not bad but using a chiller will drop that down to 10-15 which is better for bacterial infection prevention. either a counter-flow or immersion works great. the CF is more portable and easier to store since its a more compact design. drain the water used into a tank to let it cool down then water your tomatoes normally.

20-25min is not bad but using a chiller will drop that down to 10-15 which is better for bacterial infection prevention.

There are other reasons than contamination to consider.

The more rapidly you chill your wort, the better the cold break formation. This is important for all sorts of reasons. Improving the rapidity of your chilling will improve your beer. Simple as that.

So if the addition of a coil of copper tubing not only lets you geek with gear but improves your beer, why on earth not do it? It's not like you're spending thousands.

Cheers!

Bob

You dont HAVE to chill your beer.

GO to this thread.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/exploring-no-chill-brewing-117111/

Read this article.
Australian NO CHILL Brewing Technique TESTED | Brewer's Friend

Talk to the Aussies on thier brew boards. Take advice from those that use the process, not someone that has never used it. No chill doesnt = cloudy beer, it doesnt = DMS...

This is just another of many options. I am sure my buddy in Alaska just tosses his in a snow bank.

You dont NEED a chiller, just like you dont NEED a HERMS...

The wort chiller is the BEST piece of equipment I have. Totally indespensable. You need it for full extract boils and for when you go AG. Get one!

The best part about having a wort chiller is that I know my neighbor thinks I'm up to something really shady when he sees this big coiled up copper apparatus moved in and out of my garage. I give him just enough time to get a glimps of it, then I close the door really fast.

Actually it has really made my brew day easier. If nothing else, now I don't have to pick up and carry five gallons of 200 degree wort to a bath.

I agree with Pol that No Chill is an option. I have done 4 batches using the no chill technique with no ill effects.

That being said I will not stop chilling completely. I am using the no chill technique during the summer months when the ground water temperature increases water usage and adds time (i.e. I don't see the need to build and use separate pre-chiller) but will chill during the late fall, winter and early spring months when ground water temps are cold. Essentially 7 months out of the year I will chill and 5 months will not.

I'll say this..it depends on where you live.

In Florida where I'm at water out of a hose spigot or sink isn't going to help much as the temperature isn't that much lower that room temperature. Also with a drought on and under watering restrictions it doesn't make sense to use a wort chiller.

I too use a rubbermade container...I use 2 2-1/2 gallons of spring water when I brew. I put one in the fridge (at least overnight...longer if I can remember!:drunk:) and one stays at room temp.. When I'm done with a brew session I save the 2-1/2 gallon containers and will fill them up tap water and freeze them the night before my next brew session. I fill the rubbermade with about 3" or water and smash one of my ice blocks with a hammer and add in the chunks. Add more water. When the ice starts to evaporate, bust up the second one and add it. This process takes less that 15 minutes to bring your wort down to 75-80 degrees. Then I strain it for any "floaties" or "passengers" into the fermenter and add the other 2-1/2 gallon container of water on top. Then I use my stainless spoon that's been in the wort the entire time (so I'm not worried about contamination) and GENTLY stir to incorporate the wort. If you're stirring fast enough to see a tornado like shape swirrling in your wort...you're doing it wrong. If you're seeing bubbles and froth...you're doing it wrong. It's almost the same kind of stir that one would do when you're incorporating egg whites to make meringue. Soft...folding..no speed.

The next brewsession I'll take some pics of the process.:rockin:

Latest posts

Back