Do all Cornelius kegs have the same size posts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7/8" or 11/16". All of the Cornys that I've come across recently are 7/8" so I'm not sure if that is the more common size. Get a deep socket in each size if you're not sure.

It depends on what you're referring to as far as size.

-All posts will accept standard ball lock disconnects, obviously. Gas posts and liquid posts are slightly different and usually a gas QD will fit (tightly) on a liquid post, but a liquid QD will not fit on a gas post.
-Thread size of the post terminals varies based on keg manufacturer. Typically thread sizes on the same keg are different for gas posts than they are for liquid posts.
-Hex size at the base of the post varies based on keg manufacturer/model.

That side, most of the hex sizes on mine are 7/8" with some of the gas posts actually made by the Cornelius company having a 12 point star. I've seen some that are smaller, but I wouldn't be able to say for sure what size they are. I have a converted pin lock keg like this and I just use an adjustable wrench to remove those posts.

Title kinda says it all...Do all Cornelius kegs have the same size posts?

For ball locks, at least, the only thing that's "the same size" is the QD interface section. Otherwise, threads differ - not only from manufacturer to manufacturer, but line to line in some cases; heights differ - there must be at least a half dozen ball lock post heights extant; and finally the "hex" section differs - and sometimes aren't even hex but are 12-point...

Cheers!

I have some 7/8, some 11/16, and some that seem to be metric. Some have 12 pointed 'stars' on the gas "in" posts and that's a different wrench than all the others.

Out of maybe 2 dozen kegs, I have about 5-6 different sized ball lock posts. I have three deep sockets for those three most common, and then a 12 point wrench, and then a box wrench in the weird metric size.

Back