DME question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gear101

Reaction score
How important is it to boil the DME until it doesn’t boil over anymore?
thanks

How important is it to boil the DME until it doesn’t boil over anymore?
thanks

Well, if you're having it boil over that would be an issue so you want that to stop.

But since DME has already been processed, it's not really important that it boils at all. You can even add it near the end of the boil, just to sanitize it and dissolve it well, and it'll be fine.

thank you

I did a much of kits, then switched over to all grains, then yesterday I used 3lbs of DME, and it all dropped out of the wart, setting on the bottom. I did add it at the begin of the brew so it boiled for an hour and was well dissovled in. This morning it bubbling like a hot tub and half of the DME is now moving around, but still about an inch on the bottom.

If your DME boiled for an hour, that's not DME on the bottom. Likely proteins that will essentially make up most of the trub when you're done.

I usually only get about 1/2" of hot break from the DME I use in the boil. But when my wife used 1lb each of plain barley DME & plain wheat DME in the boil,it got massive hot break for some 3 minutes,as if I'd steeped or mashed some grains. That was the first time I ever saw DME do that.
But I also do late extract additions,& adding them at the end while it's still hot works just fine.

First time for me too.I had a good two inches of break on the bottom of the carboy last night before I went to sleep. THis morning it's dwon to about an inch.

Back