DIY Temp Control for Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonsofsummer

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m fairly new to homebrewing Through reading, I’ve come to learn how crucial temperature control during fermentation can be. With this said, I would like to attempt to build a DIY temp control setup and have an idea that I was going to attempt but wanted to first get some input as to whether I’m on the right track.

Essentially, I have a stainless steel coil that will go through the lid of my ss fermenter (through bungs on the lid).

My plan is to attach hoses that run to a cooler (generic Coleman camping cooler)

Inside of the cooler, I will have several large reusable ice packs with the remaining volume being filled with water.

Inside the cooler I will have a submersible pump which will feed into a copper coil.

The copper coil will attach to vinyl hose on its way to the fermenter. The return water from the loop will simply be re-added to the pool in the cooler

The pump engaging will be controlled by an inkbird.

I would like to be able to maintain Ale fermentation temperatures (I’m confident that 68F/20C is doable), but would also like to be able to cold crash and perhaps Lager.

I’m sure someone has already attempted this kind of setup.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Not knowing the size of the coil in relation to the kettle I'd say you're on the right track. For Ales it will definitely work but for lagers and cold crashing it might be a stretch or very labor intensive.

Would it be possible to place the cooler (or another container) into a mini fridge? Then for sure you'd be able to reach your low target temps for long durations.

Thanks
Not knowing the size of the coil in relation to the kettle I'd say you're on the right track. For Ales it will definitely work but for lagers and cold crashing it might be a stretch or very labor intensive.

Would it be possible to place the cooler (or another container) into a mini fridge? Then for sure you'd be able to reach your low target temps for long durations.

Thanks for the reply,

A little bit more info... the coil is a Kegland Temp Twister

My fermenter is a SS brewtech Chronical 14 Gallon with a lid bought separately from the ftss (didn’t want to purchase the whole ftss from brewtech as I only paid $250CAD for the fermenter and imho Brewtech’s price is steep for ftss).

However for the most part I am making 5-7 gallon batches with this fermenter.

Although, I would like to attempt using the cooler first as it’s economical, takes little space, and I already own 12-15 of the large freezer bags, would I be better off buying a small used bar fridge, using a small bucket, or smaller cooler inside of it with the copper coil, freezer bags and water inside? I think this is what you are getting at correct?

I am not too hung up on having to change freezer bags, but wanted to get an idea of whether this approach ( cooler) was feasible for cold crashing and/or lagering in addition to controlling at ale temps, and if anyone has gone down this road.

Have people done this? Yes, absolutely - many times.

Would this work for lagering? Possibly... but it really depends on the ambient temperature, what kind of insulation you have around your fermenter, and how frequently you're willing to cycle through blocks of ice.

Fundamentally, the higher the delta T between the ambient and your fermenter (and the higher the thermal conductivity of the medium between your beer and ambient) the more heat your beer will gain - and the more ice you're going to need to melt to get rid of that heat. At some point it's going to become more work than it's worth.

Thanks for the reply,

i do have a neoprene jacket for the fermenter, however based on some additional reading and the feedback. I think I may opt to go the mini fridge route. That is buy one on Craigslist used for cheap and do a simple modification to place the cooled water and ice packs inside. This way the majority of the work is done by the fridge. Still way cheaper than investing in a glycol chiller.

Thanks for the reply,

i do have a neoprene jacket for the fermenter, however based on some additional reading and the feedback. I think I may opt to go the mini fridge route. That is buy one on Craigslist used for cheap and do a simple modification to place the cooled water and ice packs inside. This way the majority of the work is done by the fridge. Still way cheaper than investing in a glycol chiller.
You could use glycol Instead of water in the set up you are planning in your mini fridge (or freezer!) I've never used it but I'm sure someone on here has done it that way. Either that or some non corrosive chemical that can reach sub freezing levels...

You could use glycol Instead of water in the set up you are planning in your mini fridge (or freezer!) I've never used it but I'm sure someone on here has done it that way. Either that or some non corrosive chemical that can reach sub freezing levels...

That’s a great idea. I’ve already found a mini fridge on CL. I know I’m a little bit all over the place here but perhaps I can place a copper coil in the freezer section of the mini fridge and have the glycol pass through it as a part of the circuit.

I think the best solution as you’ve said would be a chest freezer though. I’m just not certain that I can accommodate the size of one where I have everything set up.

Back