DIY Insulation Sleeve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metzen

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone build an insulating sleeve for their mash tun or fermenter?

I am looking to build a durable sleeve for my new eBIAB kettle. I currently use Reflectix bubble wrap on my mash tun in the old 3V setup. I’d like to go to a more “permanent” option or something that I wouldn’t have to worry about while cleaning and moving the thing around.

What material do you find works best? I see neoprene sleeves on a lot of commercial products but they seem too thin. I’m considering getting a sheet of thick (6mm) neoprene fabric and having the local tailor/seamstress stitch a sleeve together for me.

Thoughts?

Neoprene seems like it would be a nice option. I've tried to source it online before and found it to be pretty expensive. If you find a source please let us know.

The problem with reflectix, which I use, and neoprene is that they cannot take nearby flame. I usually heat my strike water right in my mash tun via direct fire. I've seen a few setups on HBT over the years that use mineral wool and aluminum skins. They look like a much more permanent solution, but also a lot of work, especially if you want them to look nice!

Neoprene seems like it would be a nice option. I've tried to source it online before and found it to be pretty expensive. If you find a source please let us know.

The problem with reflectix, which I use, and neoprene is that they cannot take nearby flame. I usually heat my strike water right in my mash tun via direct fire. I've seen a few setups on HBT over the years that use mineral wool and aluminum skins. They look like a much more permanent solution, but also a lot of work, especially if you want them to look nice!

My former setup was direct fired (under the HLT and BK). I’m looking forward to moving away from propane and being able to brew small batches over the winter. As I’ll be on 120V, I’ll do whatever I can to try to retain the heat within the pot. My kettle and other parts should be in over the next couple weeks. I’ll provide an update when I make a move on something.

I used a Yoga mat cut to fit and then covered it in Reflect it works Awesome no temp drop in a 60 minute mash.

I bought some reflectix at one point hoping I could make a jacket for my BIAB kettle. Unfortunately, I heat w/ propane so I ran into the same issue as you note, i.e., it'll melt.

I've thought about using fiberglas insulation with a foil-backing to hold it together. What I'd love is something I could just slide over the top, but the handles get in the way.

Something like this:

https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...on-3-5-x-15-x-32-40-sq-ft/p-1444437003058.htm

I use 1" of rock-wool insulation (fire-proof) wrapped with a stainless sheet metal cover. Looks great and is direct flame proof.

Latest posts

Back