DIY Fail...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the links but why would I buy a stir plate when I'm talking about making one in the DIY section?

Because after fighting with one and getting it to spin right and not throw the bar every 5 seconds, it's what you'll eventually end up doing :) I built one myself and it worked ok for a while, but was always a pain. If I get back into brewing, I'll just buy one for $50.

But congrats on getting it working. As far as not much speed adjustability, that's due to the size of your pot. Not a big enough range of resistance.
Did you try it out in just water first to watch the stir bar? I assume so. What kind of motion were you getting? Spinning or rattling or..? What kind of vortex were you pulling down?

With water the bar was fine and the vortex went top to near the bar with no rattle just a swirling noise. That's why i think i need more magnets to help with the thicker liquid.

With water the bar was fine and the vortex went top to near the bar with no rattle just a swirling noise. That's why i think i need more magnets to help with the thicker liquid.

My prebuilt unit rattles too - I think its an issue with the bottom of the flask more than the stirrer itself.

Latest posts

Back