Distilled vs. Spring vs. Nashville water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TX2TN

Reaction score
Just moved to Nashville and getting ready to brew my first batch in the music city. In Orlando I never used tap water. I always used distilled or Zypherhills(FL) spring water. Always brewed some good beer with both with no problems. Just curious if I could use Nashville tap water straight from the tap. I know in most, if not all, cases of tap water you have to do something to the water. Thoughts anyone?

Hello and welcome!
Are you on a home well, or municipal water? If municipal, you should be able to get a water report from the supplier, possibly online. Ours are.

Thank you and City water. I can actually get a report on line I figured out after I wrote question. I have never educated myself on water as far as brewing goes. I have joined homebrew talk to learn more about brewing. I guess I have always taken the easy way out by using bottled water...distilled or spring. I know there are different things you can do to water to make it brewable, however I wouldn't know where to start.

It's highly likely a municipal system employs chloramine or chlorine. Barring a contrary water report it would be prudent to use an appropriate dose of Campden to knock either/both out lest the dreaded Band-Aid character make an appearance...

Cheers!

Water treatment can improve your beer, but it is an advanced technique. Many practice the philosophy of "Good to drink, good to brew". Our water here has chlorine, which evaporates with heat. Day Trippr is correct, campden is required to remove chloramine. I suggest you check your water report, smell and taste your water, and check an online source for brewing water adjustments. Water here Long Island is very good quality, fine for brewing. I believe some adjustments would move my IPAs or Pilsners to the next level, and maybe I'll take that step one day. But right now my beer pleases me, my friends, my family and occasionally beer judges.

Back