Dissolved Oxygen Meter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

303Dan

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

A few questions to those who have dissolved oxygen meters:

1. Recommendation on a good entry level model? I've been looking at the Extech DO600 and the Milwaukee MW600. Anything else I should be looking at?
2. What does the upkeep/maintenance cost look like on one of these devices in terms of replacement membranes, calibration solutions, electrolyte solution, etc? About how much $ per year does that amount to and how often do those things need to be replaced?
3. Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks,
Dan

What do you intend to use it for?

"Entry level" is really only gonna be useful for measuring oxygenation rates when pitching yeast. To that end, I just wouldn't bother.

If you're looking for cold side, you're not gonna find something sensitive enough that costs less than a car. Hell even some decently sized (think significant distribution in a major metro area) craft brewers basically rent or borrow them. The device we use at work is $19,000. Less reliable, less accurate models will still run several thousand dollars.

I'm looking to use it for measuring DO levels at all the various points of the hot side brewing process as well as pre yeast pitch. A resolution of 0.1 mg/l with reasonable accuracy should be fine for my needs. The two models I'm looking at fit that description and are in the 150-200 dollar range.

So, I'm wondering if there's anything else around that price point I should be considering, and also what the upkeep costs are like for a portable unit like that.

Thanks,
Dan

Latest posts

Back