Disc Golf

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JawZziff

Reaction score
I see random threads here that really have nothing to do with brewing (yet probably everything to do with brewing!)

Any disc golfers out there in the brewing community? This sport got me hooked the first day I tried it. Been at it for 2 seasons now and in that short period there's been a number of new courses go up. How's the discin where you're from?

I've never played (always wanted to try) but pretty much everyone I work with does. Pretty popular around here I'd say. My college has a disc golf course.

Ive been playing since 1996, there was a course in my hometown near Milwaukee. I now live in Minneapolis, and there are a ton of great courses around here. It's a great way to get out and enjoy the outdoors and get some exercise as well. I FINALLY got my first ace this past summer!!

Love disc golf. When I lived in San Luis Obispo I played 5-7 days a week. Now with a 8-5 job and a baby I haven't played in probably a year. I've heard there's a course in my town but I have no idea where it is and still have little time to go out and huk the disc.

I've never played (always wanted to try) but pretty much everyone I work with does. Pretty popular around here I'd say. My college has a disc golf course.
garunteed one of your work buddies has a few extra disc's to lend to you. I usually carry extras that I don't mind will be lost in case a buddy wants to try. its much cheaper than paying for a round of real golf and imo a much more relaxed community.

Ive been playing since 1996, there was a course in my hometown near Milwaukee. I now live in Minneapolis, and there are a ton of great courses around here. It's a great way to get out and enjoy the outdoors and get some exercise as well. I FINALLY got my first ace this past summer!!
makes me feel not so bad that I haven't snagged an ace yet. except when I was out by myself throwing practice shots off the 1st tee. don't think I can count that though.

My high school was right across the street from a well known course, so we would frequently get lost on the way to class and end up throwing disc for hours (late 1990s). I used to play 3-5 times a week and could finish around 15 under for an 18 hole course........That was before a serious career and two kids, now I have not played in over 5 years..... I can tell that is getting more popular, I see baskets all over around the Sacramento area now. When I was playing regularly there were only a hand full of small courses in the area. As for the Aces, only 1 in over 10 years of throwing.

Where do you play? I used to play at Acorn Park in Roseville or Kaposia down on the South side of St Paul.

Haven't hit a course in a couple of years, but I do enjoy it. Should really get back to it this summer.

I play with my co-worker after work. We love it so much that we drive 25min to the nearest course. We don't play as much during the winter because it gets dark too early and we like to take our time when we play but from spring to fall we play about twice a week.

disc golf is awesome! last few times I played there was a big beer drinking crowd out there...actually a lot of guys carried their discs in a fanny pack so they could carry a six pack in one hand and a joint in the other. guess this is California...

disc golf is awesome! last few times I played there was a big beer drinking crowd out there...actually a lot of guys carried their discs in a fanny pack so they could carry a six pack in one hand and a joint in the other. guess this is California...

I'm not from California but that sure sounds familiar. a guy in my hometown put up an easy 18 holes on his land way back in 96 (possibly the first course in the province, Saskatchewan, Canada) He doesn't care what we consume. in fact he's usually farther along than anyone else! makes it a little more care free when its private land and the cops don't come around and make you dump your beer. any other course I've been on is usually in a city park.

Started playing in about 1994-95. My freshman/sophomore year of high school, a buddy and I would play 36+ holes a day - weekends might be 54. By the time I got into college, I could take my entire group of friends out and give everyone 2-3 discs to play with - I had gone through a stage of "gotta have a disc for every possible throw", and in college pared it back so I only played with 4-5 discs. Would probably play a round once a week or so in college.

Summer after I graduated, I entered in the Iowa Games (amateur olympics), and played literally the worst game of my entire career. This was on the course that I played all through college... I knew it like the back of my hand... and threw +20 on 18. Have you ever had to apologize (repeatedly) to the guys in your group? Haven't played much since. Partly because I licked my wounds from that game for a long time, and partly because the courses around where I live now SUCK. We're talking the old-school "mount a basketball hoop to a 4x4" courses.

There are 7 courses, one being a Championship-level course, 30 minutes or less from me, two within 10 minutes. I have played all but one of them.

Sucks for me because I have a bad back, so really can't get a lot of power with a regular throw. I have worked my tomahawk into a beast, however, usually out-driving all the other (more experienced) players I throw with. Of course, like real golf, the short game is where the real game is, and I am still getting there on that.

There's actually another course I know about, & played once, but it was literally half behind an apartment complex - and I mean, no trees, no obstacles, and the baskets are LITERALLY right behind people's apartments. Kids playing outside? Too bad for you! The other half was a hodgepodge of baskets set out into a field, with some baskets being shared and just the launch pads being in different locations. It was a mess, and our whole group left when we saw the field and the poorly-marked (if at all) launch pad locations.

Where do you play? I used to play at Acorn Park in Roseville or Kaposia down on the South side of St Paul.

I used to play quite a bit at Acorn, but it has gotten so busy that that I dont often go there anymore. I usually play at Kaposia, Edina, Bryant Lake, Basset Creek or my favorite, Blue Ribbon Pines (up north a bit in East Bethel). If you ever get the chance, take a long weekend and go to very northern Wisconsin and camp and play at Highbridge Hills. They have something like 9 courses on that land.

Sucks for me because I have a bad back, so really can't get a lot of power with a regular throw. I have worked my tomahawk into a beast, however, usually out-driving all the other (more experienced) players I throw with. Of course, like real golf, the short game is where the real game is, and I am still getting there on that.

Agreed. Out of all my buddies I probably have the strongest throw but that doesn't necessarily mean accuracy. all it takes is a big ol hook waaaaaay off course and buddy who's consistently throwing straighter to the basket and I've lost the game.

Probably a half dozen, at least, around me (Monterey Bay, CA area). We usually tote in a six pack or so and play after work depending on everyone's schedule...quite fun.

We've spotted an adult bob cat (15ft away), an adult coyote and a bald eagle ... all separate trips.

Tried 3-4 times last year. Loved it but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to throw it straight or with any distance

South Jersey barely has anything but I often make it out to Stafford Woods, New Brooklyn, Sedgely Woods, Tyler State Park, and a smattering of Delaware courses like Iron Hill.

Not so good at putting but I got a mean 'swing'.

I'm jealous I 2 severely bruised ribs and probably wont be able to DG for awhile just as its getting nice out :(.

Probably a half dozen, at least, around me (Monterey Bay, CA area). We usually tote in a six pack or so and play after work depending on everyone's schedule...quite fun.

We've spotted an adult bob cat (15ft away), an adult coyote and a bald eagle ... all separate trips.

I saw a roadrunner in Arlington, TX.

I love playing disc golf. My friends and I play a more difficult variation of it though. Instead of throwing the Frisbee we hit it with a variety of specially shaped sticks and instead of a Frisbee we use golf balls. Other than that, it's exactly the same.

I've been playing for 20 years all over western Canada. I love it and have a private course we play all year round. Even in the snow.

I play a ton over the summer when I head stateside to visit family, but sadly I rarely get out during most of the year because there are no courses and very few open spaces to play a safari round in metropolitan China. There's also nobody to play with, and solo disc golf is like drinking alone - still fun, but not as fun as doing it with friends.

I did just pick up a new disc for the summer - an Yikun Jun driver. I bought a couple of their discs last year because they're the first China-based disc design company and I liked their Jun driver a lot for my arm, but over the course of 20-30 rounds over the summer my Jun beat in a bit too much and got a bit too flippy, so a brand new one in their premium plastic should get me through another summer or two while the old one can be used for some specialty shots.

Love discing, do it every chance I can get when I get time away from work and house work (AKA making beer). Try to hit some of the courses out of town on the weekends, but there's a course 3 blocks away from me that I play every other day. It's a small course, no holes over 170, so my goal for this summer is to ace every hole there. One down, eight to go.....

Sweet, I just saw this and am going to revive the thread. I too am a frolfer. First heard of the game 30 years ago. My buddy had a friend named mike, we called him a good wrench. That was a loving term in this small town, lived in a trailer outside the city and we would go there to play darts, hackey sack, and stuff like that. He was damn good at all. He was always up to some weird stuff. Building bongs out of watch cases and hobby pipe with pieces of a window blinds pull string. Anyways he played frolf and he took us to edora in fort Collins. I loved it. Ioved how we could play drinking beers, girlfriends and less talented people could play. It was awesome. I love how accessible it is. Always heard edora was a nice track and it is. Thanks for that course finder. Found it, and dillon lake, and jonny roberts in arvada.

Discs were cheap enough and we would play there throughout our youth. Edora was a big deal at time, olympic pool and rec center. We would go there to unsuccessfully meet girls and play dg. We had a course at my highschool that was just poles we would play. And i
Screenshot_20200621-231451_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20200621-231403_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20200621-231514_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20200621-233607_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20200621-233538_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20200621-233453_Google.jpg
would also play the csu campus course which is now gone. It was so cool. And they moved it behind the holiday inn dont know if its still there. And then my friends and i lived in the neighborhood across from edora park. So yeah we played it a lot. Ill share some stories later but great course.

Come out here and play in the mountains for example and you will see why you need a tomahawk. Its a critical throw. There was a hole at edora that was best played with a monster soaring tomahawk over the valley of trees rather than trying to thread the needle.

One of the funnest courses I played was in murfreesboro tn. It was carved right out of the trees. So cool and hard, but not like lake dillon near breck, those big pines suck up discs. Well happy frolfing, hope I get out soon. I have a friend who calls me, its like his peace time. I like being part of that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200621-231514_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20200621-231514_Google.jpg
    824.2 KB · Views: 2
Back